Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 02:53 PM

588 posts, read 1,322,068 times

Advertisements

Senate bill proposes centralizing Weather Service forecasting in 6 regional offices - The Washington Post

Good idea? Bad idea? I am curious of the input of the intellectual city-data political forum poster.

In short, Senate Commerce Committee headed by Chairman John Thune (R-S.D.) wants to consolidate the 122 National Weather Service offices into 6 regional offices to make operations more efficient and cost less.

In my opinion, the 1 billion dollar budget that produces forecasts throughout the United States should not be cut because of a high ROI. Energy companies, farms, and many other areas save money by accurate forecasts and I believe consolidating these offices will be detrimental to the science. Of all the things to cut, why on something that has such a high ROI?

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 02:55 PM

45,265 posts, read 26,522,131 times
I think the private sector can give us weather reports.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:50 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,597,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I think the private sector can give us weather reports.
I hope you are ready to pay for these reports.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:52 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,597,816 times
Wasn't it a Republican who wanted to disband the NWS and turn over the reigns to Accuweather?
This is a terrible idea, I don't want someone from another state trying to give me up to date forecasts when severe weather is around.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:01 PM

22,216 posts, read 19,512,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Wasn't it a Republican who wanted to disband the NWS and turn over the reigns to Accuweather?
This is a terrible idea, I don't want someone from another state trying to give me up to date forecasts when severe weather is around.
Santorum put forth a bill to do so in 2005 while he was in the Senate

Old 06-16-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I hope you are ready to pay for these reports.
We dont pay now or do you think the government has its own money?

Old 06-16-2015, 05:18 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,537,089 times
Quote:
We dont pay now or do you think the government has its own money?
That cost is spread over many millions of taxpayers, making it of little cost per person. The private sector would charge not just the cost but the cost plus a profit. Weather forecasts are of too much importance to put in corporate hands alone. At just under 1 billion dollars, and with a population of around 318 million people, that works out to little over 3 dollars per person. Will a private service provide year-round access to that sort of data for $3?

Old 06-16-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
That cost is spread over many millions of taxpayers, making it of little cost per person. The private sector would charge not just the cost but the cost plus a profit. Weather forecasts are of too much importance to put in corporate hands alone. At just under 1 billion dollars, and with a population of around 318 million people, that works out to little over 3 dollars per person. Will a private service provide year-round access to that sort of data for $3?
What other needs of yours would you like your neighbor to pay for?
If weather forcasts are so critical as you say, there will surely be many firms vying to give their paying customers the most accurate forcasts.

I'd argue that weather reports are too important to leave to bureaucrats and lying government agencies.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:01 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,537,089 times
Quote:
What other needs of yours would you like your neighbor to pay for?
If weather forcasts are so critical as you say, there will surely be many firms vying to give their paying customers the most accurate forcasts.

I'd argue that weather reports are too important to leave to bureaucrats and lying government agencies.
Actually everyone's safety depends on good weather forecasting. Tornadoes, ice storms, blizzards, hurricanes, and so forth would kill far more than they already do without forecasting. In the days before the NWS and good forecasting storms came with little warning and killed more people. In the private sector there'd be incentive to skimp on quality, to cut corners, to profit more. Weather forecasts are an area where government is the best way of providing the service. Maybe you'd also like to see the military cut, since the private sector can take care of that?

Old 06-16-2015, 06:50 PM

57,410 posts, read 26,339,824 times
Many government agencies are consolidating, I don't know the value of having 122 NWS offices in this day and age but they do an excellent job. They own the entire network of weather feeds from Doppler radars and other measurement stations, I would not want to see them privatized.

This does not eliminate any positions at least not for now, just consolidation of locations and most of their weather products are available on the internet and other media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies