Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 04:34 AM

287 posts, read 326,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
He lied to you about that. I have Kenyan friends too, and they do refer to "white people" and "black people."
My friend is a member of the Pokot Tribe in eastern Kenya and from a very remote area. He said he never even saw a white person until he was in his teens. He has repeatedly stated that in his tribe they do not refer to "white people" or "black people" and I believe him...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 05:45 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
When was the vote held, cause I wasnt informed, being that I would be included in that "most of us". And what exactly are you responding too??
Since the 60s, black media has and still does use "black" constantly and consistently. Black people use it constantly and consistently. This isn't even a matter worthy of discussion. Look at Ebony magazine, and you'll see "black."

Old 06-24-2015, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deweyforprez View Post
My friend is a member of the Pokot Tribe in eastern Kenya and from a very remote area. He said he never even saw a white person until he was in his teens. He has repeatedly stated that in his tribe they do not refer to "white people" or "black people" and I believe him...
Well, those who are never around white people would have little reason to discuss them, would they? I suspect they didn't discuss the difference between Fox and CNN, either.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:29 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,099,574 times
This is such an interesting discussion that I think I'll make a second comment.

If society ever gets to the point that they refuse to use an obvious, quantifiable trait in describing a person, it means that the society has decided that there is something so bad about that trait+person combination, that they cannot bring themselves to accept what their eyes tell them. To NOT say someone is black should be worse than to SAY that someone is black. Black (with all its variations) is a color, (eumelanin is a skin pigment), our eyes transmit that info to our brains, our brain tells us 'black'! Only people who are associating negative concepts with this would ever question using this attribute to describe someone. HOWEVER, where and when it is not important to the description, then there is no reason whatsoever to include it in a discussion.

IMHO, when describing how a person looks, use 'black' if it is not assumed. When commenting about first generation immigrants, use X-American if you wish. Or Jamaican. Or whatever. When studying pigmentation in the lab or in genomics, use the term 'eumelaninic'.

I'm not sure what to make of the Kenyan example.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:40 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Until ALL citizens make the decision to be plain ol' Americans, we will never be united.

There was a time when people were proud to be called Americans.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Until ALL citizens make the decision to be plain ol' Americans, we will never be united.

But back then America wasn't proud to call us Americans.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:02 AM

496 posts, read 395,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
I wish there were a way we could identify them NOT by the color of their skin.... :/
I wish we could all just be people but honestly as long as a census makes us state what race and gender we are and since our race and gender is obvious it will be used to define us. I can't understand why anyone would be ashamed of their race. I am a proud white American female and one of my very best friends is a proud black American female.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:09 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,324,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay View Post
I wish we could all just be people but honestly as long as a census makes us state what race and gender we are and since our race and gender is obvious it will be used to define us.
One of the necessary evils of the U.S. Census use of racial classifications is that it is critical data for economic and social research.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:54 PM

692 posts, read 957,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post

If being American means forgetting where you come from and who you are, then I'd rather not be called one.

I would think that a country as great as it claims to be would be able to be united regardless of what the individual decides to identify themselves as.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:02 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,405,557 times
The real question, I have concluded, is... Why are people so sensitive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies