Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 12:46 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
All Blacks should just be called Africans. After all, we refer to all people with roots in Asia as Asians, whether they are first generation or if their families have been in the country for generations.

We should try being more consistent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

That's actually not a bad idea.
Hey. My African co-forum member and I finally agree on something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 12:47 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,404,637 times
Why did the Southern states insist for so long on denying basic rights to these people, no matter what they are called? I'm not talking about slavery but about the period from approximately 1865 to 1965.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:50 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Hey. My African co-forum member and I finally agree on something.
I'm not aware of any disagreements...

Anyway, what's to argue about? Like you said, if you're being consistent about it and call people Asians (which i've always found to be a bit weird, but Asians don't seem to mind..), then African would have to be totally within the realm of reason to use for black people. It only makes sense.

I'd just never thought about it like that before.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:53 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,769,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Why did the Southern states insist for so long on denying basic rights to these people, no matter what they are called? I'm not talking about slavery but about the period from approximately 1865 to 1965.
Because they were Democrats.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I'm not aware of any disagreements...

Anyway, what's to argue about? Like you said, if you're being consistent about it and call people Asians (which i've always found to be a bit weird, but Asians don't seem to mind..), then African would have to be totally within the realm of reason to use for black people. It only makes sense.

I'd just never thought about it like that before.
And Whites could just be called Europeans. Easy peezy.

But what about Melanesians? I knew a girl from Fiji and she looked a Black person, but she was Fijian. No one could agree on what to call her, so we just called her Fijian.

^Not African.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:00 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,439 times
Quote:
Afro is the name of a hairstyle...but the word 'afro' has nothing to do with a hairstyle.

It means "of or connected to or with Africa."

Come on man...you're black and didn't know that?
:gary coleman face

Old 07-04-2015, 01:02 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,439 times
Quote:

But what about Melanesians? I knew a girl from Fiji and she looked a Black person, but she was Fijian. No one could agree on what to call her, so we just called her Fijian.

^Not African.
what year was that pic taken in?

she black...no doubt about it

Old 07-04-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:

^Not African.
Yeah...those people are like 'other' to me. I have no idea how to classify them outside of human. I don't even know what continent they belong to although Oceania is my best guess. I don't know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post

Those South Pacific folks STILL wear afros and i've heard that they call themselves black.

How similar they are genetically to Africans is another question altogether.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post

Fijians are Melanesians. They look Black, but they aren't. It gets confusing, I know.

These people live in the jungle in Thailand:

Are they Asians? They don't look like other Asians, but they are from Asia.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Fijians are Melanesians. They look Black, but they aren't. It gets confusing, I know.

These people live in the jungle in Thailand:

Are they Asians? They don't look like other Asians, but they are from Asia.
As to the Melanesians, they can be "black" and not be African. I've heard that they refer to themselves as black, just not in the same context that we think of it here.

As to the pics of the Thai that you posted, i wonder if they're called black by lighter skinned Thai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies