Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 10:46 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
There may be no need to sue him but the parents bought the gun for him as a gift. I am pretty sure that even a mediocre lawyer can get a liability judgement against them.
And I sincerely hope that happens, as well as the death penalty for the POS. You know those parents knew their kid was fncked up in the head. A gun should have been the last thing from their minds, unless they only gave him one bullet and suggested he off himself.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meyers View Post
So you're saying we don't need to charge a criminal with ALL crimes he committed because the punishment for one of them is the max punishment? Thats some moronic thinking there, the charges are there to put on record ALL of the crimes this person was guilty of.
No, I'm saying there's absolutely no need for the DOJ/Feds to get involved in a case such as this via "hate crimes" as there is no public benefit, only costs. Though it does make them look like they're doing something even if it's really nothing which I'm betting is the whole point.

The state prosecutors will get him just as dead and probably faster than the Feds ever would especially since he's admitted he did it.
I know, how about after he's convicted in S.C. they send him to N.C. to be tried for any traffic infractions he may have committed or for being a fleeing felon? Yep, let's add more to that multiple death sentence all for the sake of appearances...

Am I wrong?

Old 06-19-2015, 11:21 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Its not like he is getting out of jail and then prison when he is convicted any time soon. He will def get life if not the death penalty like the Boston Bomber.

Last edited by UKWildcat1981; 06-19-2015 at 11:35 AM..

Old 06-19-2015, 11:27 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,390,278 times
I agree with your point. How much more "hateful" can a person be than to murder another person in cold blood?

I will never get the hate crime designation. Assaulting another is hateful.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:29 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Oh, I get it.... There's a more harsh death penalty or life in prison for hate crime multiple homicide than just regular old run of the mill multiple homicide. What are they going to do? Kill him,bury him, then dig him back up and kill him again?
Charges by multiple jurisdictions insures that if one jurisdiction fails to convict then there is another bite of the apple by the other.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:32 AM

520 posts, read 532,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I agree with your point. How much more "hateful" can a person be than to murder another person in cold blood?

Oh no.. Not the 'hate crime' word play thing again. Go to the previous page and read my post on what a hate crime is.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Because if they call it a hate crime, it will become a federal case instead of a state.
The state doesn't lose jurisdiction over a case just because the Feds make a subsequent charge. John Allen Muhammad and Lee Boyd Malvo were both charged with Federal crimes that were later dropped to allow Virginia and Maryland to pursue their own prosecutions.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:35 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Just a Precaution. He is being tried for Murder by the State of South Carolina. If for some reason a jury should find him Not Guilty (wanna buy a bridge?), the Feds could then prosecute him under Federal Law for Civil Rights Violation.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Though it's nice to know that the Feds run in when only certain groups are aggrieved or, in this sad case, killed. So much for equal protection under the law.
What groups would those be, because the only groups that I see excluded from prosecution would be Martians.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...tables/table-9

Hate Crime in America, by the Numbers - NBC News

Old 06-19-2015, 11:44 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post

You're reading way too much into the word 'hate'. Try 'bias-motivated crime'.

Do you have a similar problem with the labelling of the Boston Marathon bombing as a crime of 'terror'? Do you complain that since murder victims typically feel terror as they're being murdered, the very notion of the designation of terrorism is something you will, and I quote you, "never get"?

Hate-crime sentencing enhancements are just that - increased penalties due to the nature of crimes. This is because certain crimes are considered especially heinous and dangerous to the very fabric of society.

Thus, we have special sentencing enhancements for, say, the killing of law enforcement officers, the killing of children, crimes meant to perpetrate fear political/ideological reasons (ie, terror), among others. Similarly, we as a society consider crimes due to various aspects of one's group identity - race, religion, etc. - to be especially heinous and worthy of extra penalties.

It's really not that complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies