Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 08:46 AM

8,386 posts, read 6,486,981 times

Advertisements

We should ban Democrats from owning guns.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:52 AM

9,915 posts, read 7,746,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I agree about the mental health issues in a lot of cases (Aurora theater shooting), but in the particular interest of this church shooting, I don't think it was a mental illness at all. This guy just truly despised black people and he wanted to start a race war (his words according to the news). Nothing mental about that. In this case, I do wonder about the guy's parents. Are they just as racist? Did they raise him to be like this and this kid just took it to the next level? You can raise a child to hate anything, that doesn't mean they have mental issues.
If I recall and I can be wrong; this individual had a past history of being on an antipsychotic or antidepressant, thinking Xanax or Zoloft. From what I can infer from the news the young man didn't complete high school, stopped taking these medications mentioned before, entered into illegal substances, and the question regarding the family relationship of the young man. Not defending this gentleman. However, again this is all just inference from information on the news. This individual struggled with learning disability, did not have a proper family structure, and illegal substances led the individual to ha e a psychotic break and fixate on persecutory delusions.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:13 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,757,849 times
If we would or could control guns, with 100% efficiently, I would melt all mine down, burn them, then poop on them.

But I am not going to do that until I am 100% certain that the criminal element is without their's too.

Until them, I am keeping mine, loaded and ready.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:16 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,757,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
All I know is that here in NYC, I wouldn't be able to buy a gun. I take solace in the fact that no wacko is able to buy a gun with his birthday money here. For it to be that easy to walk into a store and buy a gun, like if you were buying a toy or food, boggles my mind. That's why all those southern states will always be backwater country. Also, because of you southern hick states, we have gun problems here, because all the thugs go down south to Virginia and buy guns, bringing them back here to shoot people. If we outlaw guns everywhere, there would't be any legal or illegal guns. That is the ultimate form of gun control. I can't even imagine, with all the wack jobs here in NYC, eight million people walking around armed. You go into the subway and see two people accidentally shove each other, (which happens thousands of times a day), the two people take out their guns, and start shooting. All of a sudden, hundreds of people on the platform would be in harm's way, and they'll take out their guns and shoot back. Absolute mayhem.
Maybe, just maybe, the problem is with "your" people and not with Virginia's guns.

Just maybe.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:22 AM

30,700 posts, read 19,377,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
If we would or could control guns, with 100% efficiently, I would melt all mine down, burn them, then poop on them.

But I am not going to do that until I am 100% certain that the criminal element is without their's too.

Until them, I am keeping mine, loaded and ready.
That's the problem...even if we made guns illegal, we have so many guns that it would take probably 5-6 generations to rid the USA of guns and you are right, the criminal element won't give up their guns. This is Obama just giving he opinion, he knows there's nothing he can do about our law and Constitution.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:26 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,067,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma
Every year a couple dozen people are killed by crazed maniacs with legally owned guns. In some years, up to 50.

Every year, thousands of people are killed by illegal guns wielded by the criminals. The majority of these criminals are in the urban ghettos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
This is all 100% made-up nonsense, probably from some NRA talking point. Most killings are done by legally bought weaponry. Thousands of people are dead every year because of legally purchased firearms.
Do either of you have any links for your facts?

Old 06-19-2015, 09:57 AM

19 posts, read 36,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
All I know is that here in NYC, I wouldn't be able to buy a gun. I take solace in the fact that no wacko is able to buy a gun with his birthday money here. For it to be that easy to walk into a store and buy a gun, like if you were buying a toy or food, boggles my mind. That's why all those southern states will always be backwater country. Also, because of you southern hick states, we have gun problems here, because all the thugs go down south to Virginia and buy guns, bringing them back here to shoot people. If we outlaw guns everywhere, there would't be any legal or illegal guns. That is the ultimate form of gun control. I can't even imagine, with all the wack jobs here in NYC, eight million people walking around armed. You go into the subway and see two people accidentally shove each other, (which happens thousands of times a day), the two people take out their guns, and start shooting. All of a sudden, hundreds of people on the platform would be in harm's way, and they'll take out their guns and shoot back. Absolute mayhem.
It is so cute that you think just by making guns illegal criminals will just turn in their guns. Since they are now illegal to own.

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have them.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:03 AM

939 posts, read 797,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Lol wut?

A pointless/ineffective (and wrongheaded) stance is "doing a good job"?

Pointing out that the other party has all but completely de-funded mental healthcare in this country might actually lead to change.

He aint getting the guns and he knows it.
Your point about mental health care is excellent. People are put on meds to "stabalize" them, then released in a couple of days. They quit taking their meds, insteasd take meth or cocaine and then go ballistic. He should still be held responsible for his actions. I'm for putting him in "general population"- the problem of what to do with him would be solved.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:09 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,049,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Simple idiotic fallacy of gun control arguments.
  • Criminals use guns to break laws. (fact)
  • So lets create more laws to stop criminals with guns (idiotic fallacy)
Case in point. It's against the law to take a gun into a church in SC. Yet a criminal did just that.
Simple idiotic fallacy of traffic laws:
* Criminals break traffic laws (fact)
* So lets create traffic laws to stop criminals who break them. (idiotic fallacy)

No, no - clearly since criminals break laws, we should have no laws at all - same logic. That is working out great in various 3rd world failed states with collapsed governments and economies. Right...

Criminals will always break laws. The challenge is to find useful ways to make it harder for them to do so (closing gun loopholes) - not arming every citizen to the teeth and hoping that they all happen to only shoot "the bad guys."

Of course, the gun culture in this nation has NEVER been about pure self defense. It always has a root in righteous patriot murder fantasies, when the "day of killing" will finally happen, and the self-proclaimed patriots will finally get a chance to kill the people they think need it: the government, random government workers, people of color, poor people, people of religions they don't like, gays, etc.

No sane person needs a flippin' AR-15 or equivalent to defend themselves in a developed nation, and no sane person can honestly think "everyone" should be allowed to have as many guns as they want, regardless of everything from criminal background to mental health issues to sheer stupidity and lack of training. But the gun culture isn't sane, which is how we end up in these discussions.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:34 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,990,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavertail View Post
Thank goodness! I am so proud of him. As a Canadian this in my opinion is the most logical move I've ever seen a U.S president make. Great Job Obama! You're doing a fantastic job.
I cant tell if youre being serious, or just Canadian.

In all honesty, any moron who thinks that gun control will help is sorely mistaken. The law-abiding citizens will suffer, while criminals (who dont obey laws) will reap the rewards. Obama is a joke. Worse than a joke, actually. He's like the turds from the crickets that chirp after a bad joke is told, signifying a horribly bad joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies