Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 10:39 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,572,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
We should ban Democrats from owning guns.

What should really happen is the 2nd amendment should be amended. You can drop the "well-organized militia" language once and for all, since the supreme court ignores it anyway, and it can have an opt out for states. There is no precedent for this, but its also not prohibited. The Federal government should be prohibited from infringing any state-decided freedoms to carry guns. But each individual state can decide to limit or prohibit / limit guns to law enforcement etc. by, for example, a 75% majority vote.

What'll happen is within 5 years or so you'll have gun-carrying states and gun-prohibiting states. The debate will subside because if you don't like what you state is doing - move next door. And most people won't have to move anyway since the states' populations are largely already aligned along the same boundaries.

Then we can leave all this nonsense behind.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:49 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,179,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavertail View Post
Thank goodness! I am so proud of him. As a Canadian this in my opinion is the most logical move I've ever seen a U.S president make. Great Job Obama! You're doing a fantastic job.

"Gun control" would mean the shooter would not have had to reload five times as was reported.

The shooter was mentally unstable and has a police record. The background check when he bought his gun should have flagged him an prevented the purchase.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:50 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,148,401 times
What is it with the anti gun crowd people. I bet 99% of them live in a suburb far away from the city with little to no crime, but if they moved back into a major city they would probably have a gun for each room of the house.

For all people who think we should get rid of guns, I want you to have a giant sign on your front lawn saying, BEWARE: THIS HOUSE HAS NO GUNS

Last edited by SAAN; 06-19-2015 at 12:10 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 10:58 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,956,372 times
Once again our president uses a tragedy to move his anti-gun rhetoric front-and-center. It would be encouraging if he were to address the real problem, that being the division of the masses, hatred, and mental health. He's the one who divides the people every chance he gets, whether it be by race or social/economic status. The gun was just a tool used by the loon; the cause of why this loon acted out is what needs to be addressed. He could have murdered regardless of whether he used a gun, an auto as a weapon, a knife, bombs, Molotov cocktails, baseball bats, whatever.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:49 AM

2,188 posts, read 1,385,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
What should really happen is the 2nd amendment should be amended. You can drop the "well-organized militia" language once and for all, since the supreme court ignores it anyway, and it can have an opt out for states. There is no precedent for this, but its also not prohibited. The Federal government should be prohibited from infringing any state-decided freedoms to carry guns. But each individual state can decide to limit or prohibit / limit guns to law enforcement etc. by, for example, a 75% majority vote.

What'll happen is within 5 years or so you'll have gun-carrying states and gun-prohibiting states. The debate will subside because if you don't like what you state is doing - move next door. And most people won't have to move anyway since the states' populations are largely already aligned along the same boundaries.

Then we can leave all this nonsense behind.
The majority does not have the authority to override a natural right, under any circumstance whatsoever. Even with a 100% vote.

What needs to be understood is people, including you, were born with the right to be armed and defend themselves using the means of their choice. In the American philosophy of liberty, rights derive from God. They are not granted by the State, therefore cannot be infringed upon. The purpose of the State is to ensure the free exercise of the people's natural rights.

Last edited by Sorel36; 06-19-2015 at 12:24 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 12:04 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,760,423 times
I'm not gonna read this whole thread, but it's really messed up that Obama turned an isolated shooting incident involving a legitimately crazy man into a call for gun control. Why am I not surprised by that?

And it's disturbing the way that his followers readily accept as gospel whatever radical proposals his administration comes up with.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:09 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,617,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
the same people who will insist that all gun owners shouldn't be blamed fot a few nuts are quick to blame all black people for the riots in Baltimore and Ferguson. there should be a law that allows the father of Dylan Roof to be charged with a crime for buying his loser son a gun for his bday, if Roof was not legally allowed to buy one himself. no job? no car? he needs a gun!
For the record (I'm a CWP holder) -
To legally be allowed to buy a gun, you DON'T have to have a job - you DON'T have to own a car.
You cannot be a convicted felon, but a job and a car are NOT a requirement...
(/snooze)

Old 06-19-2015, 12:11 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,617,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
Once again our president uses a tragedy to move his anti-gun rhetoric front-and-center. It would be encouraging if he were to address the real problem, that being the division of the masses, hatred, and mental health. He's the one who divides the people every chance he gets, whether it be by race or social/economic status. The gun was just a tool used by the loon; the cause of why this loon acted out is what needs to be addressed. He could have murdered regardless of whether he used a gun, an auto as a weapon, a knife, bombs, Molotov cocktails, baseball bats, whatever.
Rocks... let's outlaw rocks, too...

You can come and get my guns... but I'll give you my AMMO first!
(not directed at all at you MikMai)

My idea of gun control? USE BOTH HANDS!

Old 06-19-2015, 12:11 PM

78,535 posts, read 60,718,007 times
Ironic considering the whitehouse and other dem leaders were trying to muzzle anti-gun talk in the run-up to the 2014 mid-terms with so many critical rural state senate seats up for grabs.

So basically, we are hearing this commentary because it's politically safe to do so at this time.

Tell you what, put up some legislation for a nationwide handgun ban. Take action. I'll wait.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:21 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,306,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ironic considering the whitehouse and other dem leaders were trying to muzzle anti-gun talk in the run-up to the 2014 mid-terms with so many critical rural state senate seats up for grabs.

So basically, we are hearing this commentary because it's politically safe to do so at this time.

Tell you what, put up some legislation for a nationwide handgun ban. Take action. I'll wait.
They must hurry up to introduce it before the next year elections.

They also must make it very clear that the politicians will be excluded from this ban just as they are in that heaven of gunique control, Washington DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies