Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 08:55 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
With the migration clearly going from blue states to red states, ( People leaving places like California, New York, Illinois, etc. and moving to traditionally red states down in the dixie: Texas, North Carolina, Georgia etc.) will the politics of the nation also move red? I find it strange that people trash red state politics and yet they left their blue state to live with them. Does the massive migration show that people in the end choose red rather than blue? Or is this just a temporary blip. Go ahead with the fury.
Too many people moving in too fast to assimilate most of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 08:57 PM

32,069 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Says the guy whose party currently has a rampaging lunatic called Trump topping its polls
Trump definitely has the conservative base riled up. I can't wait to watch the republican debates. I've never watched them before but I think this one will be very entertaining and calls for popcorn

Old 07-11-2015, 08:59 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Trump definitely has the conservative base riled up. I can't wait to watch the republican debates. I've never watched them before but I think this one will be very entertaining and calls for popcorn
I watched every single GOP debate during the 2012 election. It was the best reality show ever!

Old 07-11-2015, 09:00 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Now seriously, who wants to move to Oklahoma? If it's not the earthquakes, tornadoes, low pay jobs and far right Christian politics that are are keeping people away, it's something else or the other.

NW Arkansas is growing so fast because people from the dead parts of Arkansas are moving there.
NW Arkansas is growing so fast because Wal-Mart hq is there. It employs so many people that they have created significant demand for services and business supporting services for this new population. In some ways this is a classic boomtown story, but similar to Silicon Valley in the 70s the boom is built on something more stable and long lasting than an extractive industry like mining.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:29 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
Those who above said they think all conservatives and Republicans are sick of the government better not go to completely Republican controlled Kansas. There you have a far right governor cutting taxes for "growth" for business with no results and taxes being raised on the rest of the populace because of tons of budget shortfalls. To make matters worse, if they are TRUE conservatives, they would make cuts instead of raise taxes to cut these budget shortfalls. Of course they do not.. They are using the government in their own way. They are not reducing it or getting rid of it. It really gets old seeing conservatives preach about how terrible the government is and how horrible the Democrats are with it. When they don't do anything different. When I see a Republican actually cutting spending I'll be proud of them as they are finally doing something they preached but never typically do.
Flyover states, such as Kansas and Oklahoma, which are considered highly undesirable by outsiders to move to, surely need to do more to grow business and industry from within. Inadequate support for education and infrastructure, while throwing too many people in prison as shown by Oklahoma is not how you do it.

A big problem with Republicans taking over is they don't want to correct the mistakes Democrats made before them and sometimes they may even double down on those mistakes.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:42 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
NW Arkansas is growing so fast because Wal-Mart hq is there. It employs so many people that they have created significant demand for services and business supporting services for this new population. In some ways this is a classic boomtown story, but similar to Silicon Valley in the 70s the boom is built on something more stable and long lasting than an extractive industry like mining.
Yes, Bentonville, for instance, has grown in population by 103.6% since the year 2000. But I can't imagine many people from the east and west coast wanting to move there in a million years. Surely, most of the people moving in have come from the declining towns in Arkansas and neighboring states. It would be dumb and depressing to stay in a town on the decline, especially if you can't find a decent paying job there, or any job at all.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:47 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
With the migration clearly going from blue states to red states, ( People leaving places like California, New York, Illinois, etc. and moving to traditionally red states down in the dixie: Texas, North Carolina, Georgia etc.) will the politics of the nation also move red? I find it strange that people trash red state politics and yet they left their blue state to live with them. Does the massive migration show that people in the end choose red rather than blue? Or is this just a temporary blip. Go ahead with the fury.
I believe your thinking is flawed on this subject. When liberals "migrate" as you put it, many bring with them their anti-traditional wacko beliefs. They are not moving to the red states with the knowledge that they are run better. Instead the libs import the same beliefs and fiscally irresponsible policies.
A prefect example is South Florida. Aside from the Cuban population which is a majority (R's), there are tons of NE liberals from NY, NJ, MA etc.
They are also many Jews which tend to be liberals who have moved into the tri-county. Most go there not because they like the idea of escaping their liberal blue state hell holes. Rather it is mainly for the weather, no state income tax, etc.

But when it comes time to vote, they have helped turn Miami-Dade into a toss up, and Broward and Palm Beach is heavily (D).

Now if I have mis-characterized premise, please let me know. But if that was the main thrust of your argument, then you would be mistaken in my view.

`

Old 07-11-2015, 09:48 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't know if that is the case in Arizona. AZ in the past voted for Clinton, had Napolitano as a two term governor, Dem senators (liberals, not the Dixiecrat ones)and, gasp, a Mexican born governor, Raul Castro. This state was the first in the nation to vote NOT to ban gay marriage, and had medicaid expansion long before Obamacare came along. Everything has changed. I can't even fathom those people winning this state today or those ideas winning at the ballot box. The primary process has been taken over by the extremists as moderates have fled from both parties. The "problem" in AZ is that so many of the new residents are retirees who vote R without much knowledge of the candidates or issues. So the extremists are gaining in local politics at least. On the presidential level, it is Hispanics, not cost of living refugees who matter most. Time will tell how they vote.
Exactly, the state is run by the Republican even Conservative Republican older residents. I admit I am no real help as a Rockefeller Republican but I can't vote for most of the garden variety Republicans Arizona votes for as the nominees.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:48 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I believe your thinking is flawed on this subject. When liberals "migrate" as you put it, many bring with them their anti-traditional wacko beliefs. They are not moving to the red states with the knowledge that they are run better. Instead the libs import the same beliefs and fiscally irresponsible policies.
A prefect example is South Florida. Aside from the Cuban population which is a majority (R's), there are tons of NE liberals from NY, NJ, MA etc.
They are also many Jews which tend to be liberals who have moved into the tri-county. Most go there not because they like the idea of escaping their liberal blue state hell holes. Rather it is mainly for the weather, no state income tax, etc.

But when it comes time to vote, they have helped turn Miami-Dade into a toss up, and Broward and Palm Beach is heavily (D).

Now if I have mis-characterized premise, please let me know. But if that was the main thrust of your argument, then you would be mistaken in my view.

`
Spot on. This is why North Carolina and Virginia have, over the past several election cycles, turned into purple states. Georgia is next.

Old 07-11-2015, 10:03 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:

If you mean we will finally learn the words to the song The International and start celebrating May 1 as the proper Labor Day then the future will be as red as the dawn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies