Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:09 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
The UN with the US holding a blowtorch to its sorry ass.

Anti-communist hysteria and witch hunts fueled a lot of torches.

There are so many possibly, maybe, could-be scenarios that could be argued but what's the point? i.e.: We have no way to know for sure that had Kim Jong NutCase wound up in control of the entire penisula there wouldn't have been sufficient numbers of anti-NutJob forces to throw his sorry butt out.

I believe we'll build a stronger, better America from within, not by viewing all the countries of the world as pawns in a chess match we must play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 11:13 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Leaving him be wouldn't have affected the WMD count, that's the foolishness of shooting from the hip, you're not sure what you're aiming at.
And, if the Patriots would've only covered Tyree a little better on that final drive, they would've won the Super Bowl. See how easy it is to Monday-morning quarterback? If Saddam had possessed WMD, which was all indications, and would've provided them to terrorist organization that detonated them in NYC, you would've been calling for Bush's head for not responding to the intelligence reports. I don't see any way he could win, especially with those who are still disappointed over the 2000 election, (not assuming you are one).

Quote:
Is that straight from a White House press kit?
I guess it could've been, but they didn't get my approval to use.

Quote:
I've certainly not seen anything to remotely even hint that anyone in this administration is close to being able to conceive such a scheme. And since it seems they're gathering in Pakistan I'd say once again Bush led us down the wrong path.
Perceptions can be deceiving. They seem to be gathering there now because we have them on the run. You go, General Petreus!!

Old 02-06-2008, 11:15 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
Quote:

There are so many possibly, maybe, could-be scenarios that could be argued but what's the point? i.e.: We have no way to know for sure that had Kim Jong NutCase wound up in control of the entire penisula there wouldn't have been sufficient numbers of anti-NutJob forces to throw his sorry butt out.

I believe we'll build a stronger, better America from within, not by viewing all the countries of the world as pawns in a chess match we must play.
We also don't know that Hitler would've stopped in Britain and not threaten the U.S., but thank god we didn't wait to find out.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:16 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
And the Koreans are mighty glad that we lit that one.

Quote:
here are so many possibly, maybe, could-be scenarios that could be argued but what's the point?
The point is that American action saved South Korea from a half-century of Communist misery, and produced a dynamic and democratic ally.

Quote:
i.e.: We have no way to know for sure that had Kim Jong NutCase wound up in control of the entire penisula there wouldn't have been sufficient numbers of anti-NutJob forces to throw his sorry butt out.
Yeah, there have been so many successful uprisings against totalitarian megalomaniacs...

Quote:
We didn't choose the world. The world chose us.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:29 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
Judging by the current world situation I believe far too many people have come to accept half right as sufficient reason to go to war, I don't. And again, we have no way of knowing what would have happened in Cambodia and Laos had we not gotten so involved in the region.
Until we develop the ability to look into the future and actually benefit from hindsight, we're just going to have to go on the information available at the time.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
And, if the Patriots would've only covered Tyree a little better on that final drive, they would've won the Super Bowl. See how easy it is to Monday-morning quarterback? If Saddam had possessed WMD, which was all indications, and would've provided them to terrorist organization that detonated them in NYC, you would've been calling for Bush's head for not responding to the intelligence reports. I don't see any way he could win, especially with those who are still disappointed over the 2000 election, (not assuming you are one).
I would have viewed him much more favorably had he pursued those responsible for 9/11 as he promised he would and put his personal agenda for Iraq, which posed no imminent threat, on the back burner. I don't give a rat's behind about 2000, I'm convinced he screwed the pooch in 2003. IF he possessed WMD? And contrary to what you say I don't believe all indications were that he did. IF would've provided them to an organization? I see a way he could win, by acting on FACTS rather than pursuing an agenda based on IFS and possibly, maybe, could bes.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Until we develop the ability to look into the future and actually benefit from hindsight, we're just going to have to go on the information available at the time.

I hope we start soon. I don't believe addressing an attack by a loose-knit multinational organiztion by invading/occupying a nation-state posing no imminent threat is acting in our best interests based on the information available at the time.

We all too often go half-way around the world and sit dumbfounded when we learn those we allegedly intend to 'help' are unwilling to fight for what we believe in.

Iraq is a perfect example, we hand them a golden opportunity and they're more willing to go on vacation than they are to work for their future. That's why I believe we must give them a deadline to take responsibility or the consequences are on them.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:59 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
Quote:
I would have viewed him much more favorably had he pursued those responsible for 9/11 as he promised he would and put his personal agenda for Iraq, which posed no imminent threat, on the back burner. I don't give a rat's behind about 2000, I'm convinced he screwed the pooch in 2003. IF he possessed WMD? And contrary to what you say I don't believe all indications were that he did. IF would've provided them to an organization? I see a way he could win, by acting on FACTS rather than pursuing an agenda based on IFS and possibly, maybe, could bes.
The facts were that we knew he had them at one point. He kicked out inspectors. He did not provide the evidence that showed he had gotten rid of them as he was supposed to. He continued to act as though he had them to scare Iran, but it made it look like he had them.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:05 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
How can it be addressed? How do we know what would have happened had we not stuck our nose where it didn't belong? Judging by the FACT that the dire consequences of the 'Domino Theory' didn't materialize I'd say it's obvious the State Dept's crystal ball is flawed.
Laos-Communist.
Cambodia-Communist.
Viet Nam-Communist.

A few dominoes fell I guess.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
The facts were that we knew he had them at one point. He kicked out inspectors. He did not provide the evidence that showed he had gotten rid of them as he was supposed to. He continued to act as though he had them to scare Iran, but it made it look like he had them.

"he had them at one point" and "continued to act as though" and "made it look like he had them" are sufficient reason to go to war? In my opinion those are all excuses for someone to follow their already carved in stone agenda, NOT sufficient cause to launch a full scale invasion/occupation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies