Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 09:08 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,814 times

Advertisements

What is everyone's thoughts on Osama Bin Laden's son's interview and his "Race for Peace" horserace?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 09:17 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
What is everyone's thoughts on Osama Bin Laden's son's interview and his "Race for Peace" horserace?

Since he's said that if he knew where his father was he'd hide him rather than turn him in I'd say his priority isn't peace or justice.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:50 AM

436 posts, read 809,366 times
Something is rotten in Denmark, and it isn't fish.

I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:31 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,257 times
Default Bin Ladens Son

I saw the interview yesterday and if I could ask him a question, it would be:
"Where is your father hiding"? Maybe I could help our scum of a President find this murderer before more innocent lives are taken away.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:55 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times
How come nobody wants to discuss the "Hitler Boys", Tom and Friedrich, who long ago moved to New Jersey and set up that carpet-cleaning business? Absolutely REFUSED to discuss their dad, I hear.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:58 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
How come nobody wants to discuss the "Hitler Boys", Tom and Friedrich, who long ago moved to New Jersey and set up that carpet-cleaning business? Absolutely REFUSED to discuss their dad, I hear.
Sounds like you hear some pretty wierd stuff.

Ken

Old 01-22-2008, 12:05 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,401,094 times
Why is anyone even listening to a word he says? Why is anyone giving that man air time, period? *sigh*

Old 01-22-2008, 01:10 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Why is anyone even listening to a word he says? Why is anyone giving that man air time, period? *sigh*
Giving him more air time than Ron Paul... that's pretty darned sad and exemplifies the problem with our media. They focus on the wrong things and on the wrong people.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:52 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times
Well let's see...

He was raised by his father and saw and heard only the views of his father and his friends, then trained as an al Qaeda fighter by his father but left the organization because he didn't want to be associated with killing civilians and wanted to see what the outside world offered.

Yup that's pretty despicable.

Doesn't think the 9-11 attack was right.

Yeah that's a pretty bad point of view too.

He tried to tell his dad "'Try to find another way to help or find your goal. This bomb, this weapons, it's not good to use it for anybody"

Why that's just outrageous!!!

Though he's lived a quiet life since leaving his father 7 years ago, and now works as a contractor, he said he is talking publicly now because he wants an end to the violence his father has inspired.

Man, this guy is a regular Son of Satan isn't he?

He's trying to set up an international horse race in the name of peace and call attention to the fact that there are other ways of resolving conflict.

How dare he!

Hey I'm not fan of his dad by ANY stretch of the imagination, but you must remember that the War on Terror is more than just a military conflict. In fact, in many ways the military part is smallest, least important part. For years now, right-wing folks have been criticizing the religious leaders of Islam for not speaking out against terrorism and trying to undermine the influence of men like Osama. Now we have the son of "America's Most Wanted" doing just that - and yet, he's being villified right here..

Is he going as far as we'd like and turning completely on his dad (helping us capture him)?
No.

But just the fact that he's turned his back on terrorism and speaking out publically about it is a pretty good step in my opinion.

Maybe, just maybe, his speaking out (and being who he is) will help convince a few deluded and desparate young men to NOT join in and take part in terrorism, but instend go on and do something wothwhile with their lives.

PR for moderation and peaceful solutions - in a part of the world not exactly known for moderation and peaceful solutions - is a good thing in my opinion.

In the final analysis, unless we plan on killing every single Muslim on earth (which is NOT going to happen) the true victory over terrorism is not going to be won on any battlefield, but rather in the hearts and minds of all those young Muslim men and women. Even if they have disagreements with the US and the West in general, they must come to the conclusion that terrorism is NOT the way to resolve those differences.

If Omar bin Laden can help bring that about because of who he is, then that's fine by me.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 01-22-2008 at 02:17 PM..

Old 01-22-2008, 02:13 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times
All joking aside, I see nothing particularly outrageous about this. We don't hold relatives accountable in this country. Yes, being Bin Ladin's son IS a little unusual, but maybe he would be a useful person to give us some insights.

We have a history of this sort of thing--we're the 'land of freedom'. I recall that for many years, Fidel Castro's sister lived a quiet life in a Miami suburb. Knowing the sentiment in Miami toward her brother, this might sound 'inadvisable'. But I don't recall she had any problems. People understood "she" wasn't to blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies