Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 06:48 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times

Advertisements

I want to start off by saying I am in full support of pot legalization, and I think Denvers method is pretty good so far.

That being said, I'm seeing a lot of people here claiming pot use has little to no downsides with multitudes of upsides. I disagree.

Inhaling any hot smoke into the lungs is bad including pot. I know it caused me to cough quite badly.

Also the effects on memory, especially short term memory is drastic. I was reading about African history last night, and I can remember what I read before I ate a chocolate with thc, but what I read while high I don't remember at all. Likewise I was having a phone conversation and I for the life of me could not remember what we talked about 30 seconds ago, even though I could converse fine in the present.

And it really disrupts your normal way of thinking. I zoned really into what I was doing, would lose track of what I was doing or where I was going, short term memory deal again, and then snap back to what was happening around me, over and over again. I just couldn't critically think in a quick clear way. And it was really hard to focus on surroundings.

The long term effects are a medical debate that really won't be known until more study has been given to the area. But I can say, at least for me, the short term consequences had as much positive and negative as something like alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 07:11 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times

Alcohol is far far worse; but then moderation in the use of anything is key. If someone has an addictive nature, it will matter little which drug they use.

I'd rather worry about a person who needs a bag of Doritos and a Slurpy, than the guy who wants to trash the 7-11 because he's drunk. I've never known a head who loses entire days, but this happens to drunks all the time.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:17 PM

5,362 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Alcohol is far far worse; but then moderation in the use of anything is key. If someone has an addictive nature, it will matter little which drug they use.

I'd rather worry about a person who needs a bag of Doritos and a Slurpy, than the guy who wants to trash the 7-11 because he's drunk.
Long term alcohol is much worse but in the short term, except for the reckless and violent tendencies of some, I would say they are kind of comparable.

But yes addiction and lack of self control is a serious problem that degrades regardless of drug.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:43 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Unfortunately, the debate gets sidetracked by talking about the benefits of marijuana or that it's not as bad as alcohol. Those are irrelevant arguments. The only issue worth debating is this; Should the government have the authority to tell me what I can eat, drink or smoke or tell me who I can have sex with or tell me how I can spend my money. I say it should not have that authority.

If we cede that right to others (government), then there is no end to what others can control in our lives (witness the large soft drinks ban).

Old 06-26-2015, 06:50 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Long term alcohol is much worse but in the short term, except for the reckless and violent tendencies of some, I would say they are kind of comparable.

But yes addiction and lack of self control is a serious problem that degrades regardless of drug.

Never met ANYONE addicted to pot ever & I've been smoking it for a very long time now. With that said there are people I have met who are better on it then without it. Just like any other meds they are more level & balanced while they are smoking it. And it doesn't have the said effects that prescriptions do. A lot of people feel like the OP does even though they don't smoke it then see the benefits of having it made legal.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:56 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Never met ANYONE addicted to pot ever & I've been smoking it for a very long time now. With that said there are people I have met who are better on it then without it. Just like any other meds they are more level & balanced while they are smoking it. And it doesn't have the said effects that prescriptions do. A lot of people feel like the OP does even though they don't smoke it then see the benefits of having it made legal.
Maybe not a physical addiction but you are going to tell me you have never met "pot heads" who smoke everyday.

BTW I am in favor of legalization.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:11 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
Agree - I favor legalization even though I don't smoke it. But I have known several people who are addicted to pot and admit to it. They buy pot rather than paying their rent or utility bills, go to work high every day and are in a panic if they run out. If that is not addiction what is it? But legislating behavior is a waste of time and money. If someone chooses pot over all other pursuits, that is their choice to make.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:14 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Agree - I favor legalization even though I don't smoke it. But I have known several people who are addicted to pot and admit to it. They buy pot rather than paying their rent or utility bills, go to work high every day and are in a panic if they run out. If that is not addiction what is it? But legislating behavior is a waste of time and money. If someone chooses pot over all other pursuits, that is their choice to make.
There is a HUGE difference between something like marijuana that could potentially be mentally addictive and things like alcohol, heroin, oxycodone etc. that are physically addictive-meaning your body will eventually need the substance to function. But really anything can be mentally addicting.

That is why people say marijuana is not addictive-compared to other drugs and alcohol which can cause physical, sick, body aching addiction marijuana is a piece of cake to stop using.

But I agree with you otherwise.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:10 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,539,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Maybe not a physical addiction but you are going to tell me you have never met "pot heads" who smoke everyday.

BTW I am in favor of legalization.

No not every day that's not to say some don't I only smoke on the weekends or when I know I'm going to have trouble going to sleep.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:13 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
There is a psychological addiction, coming from somebody who has known many, many, MANY potheads in my life.

I'm indifferent about pot legalization. The best con I can see is simply the smell of it. It reeks, and I don't want it around me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies