Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 01:04 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,231,938 times

Advertisements

Especially the Christian right. I say this because we all know that the Dems social crusades are just smoke screens for more government control.

I don't care about gay marriage or abortion. I'm not part of the secular world regarding social issues but a sojourner in Christ. The law of the land is corrupt, and always has been (slavery for instance) because it's run by mankind. The evangelical right candidates are a turn off to me, because religion is personal and the law of the land is separate from that.

What I care about is remaining a self-dependent individual. So I care about my financial future and security, only dependent on myself now and in the future. My worst fear is ever being dependent on the federal government for my existence (Medicare, Medicaid, Section 8 housing, Social Security). I want our Republican party to focus on the financial opportunities for the individual, and stop reacting to homosexual marriage and abortion on demand. If I want spiritual guidance, I have church, Bible, Jesus, the pastors and elders in the church and brothers and sisters there too, not the government.

Any other conservatives, or Christian right individuals agree that the social issues need to be dropped from the Republican platform altogether, and the focus should be jobs, individual financial opportunity and getting the country out of debt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 01:09 PM

1,136 posts, read 924,480 times
No your coalition would quickly fall apart if you dropped the social issues. Think about all of those poor white southernes would would flock to the democratic party if it wasn't for guns, God and gays.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:17 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
No your coalition would quickly fall apart if you dropped the social issues. Think about all of those poor white southernes would would flock to the democratic party if it wasn't for guns, God and gays.
True. And this is the dilemma facing the GOP right now. They can no longer win in the 21st century with the backwards looking Tea Party types, who are still stuck in the 19th century, holding them back, but they don't have the numbers to win without them either.

After the 2012 election there were sane voices in the party calling for the GOP to stop alienating huge swaths of the electorate with their antiquated views and start trying to truly build a bigger tent, but that effort was quickly shut down by the far right. So here they are, stuck with the social regressives. Can't win with them; can't win without them.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:20 PM

674 posts, read 611,866 times
Don't kid yourself.

Some of us liberals support gay marriage because (imagine this!) we actually believe it's important not to make a bunch of people into second class citizens just because they were born with a preference that isn't the same as mine. Not everything is about the government control bogeyman.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:23 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,849,444 times
They have right to voice their opinions.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:31 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,231,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlAndSparrow View Post
Don't kid yourself.

Some of us liberals support gay marriage because (imagine this!) we actually believe it's important not to make a bunch of people into second class citizens just because they were born with a preference that isn't the same as mine. Not everything is about the government control bogeyman.
That's part of my point. The dems depend on their base to vote with their emotions and not intellect. That's why they push the social issues. Thereby passing more laws and digging their claws into more people's lives and pockets. The government gets more revenue with the gay marriage. They don't care about civil rights; they pushed that excuse and people like you believed them.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:33 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
That's part of my point. The dems depend on their base to vote with their emotions and not intellect. That's why they push the social issues. Thereby passing more laws and digging their claws into more people's lives and pockets. The government gets more revenue with the gay marriage. They don't care about civil rights; they pushed that excuse and people like you believed them.
Have you not been paying attention to the near hysteria with which the SC ruling on gay marriage has been met by Conservatives here on this board? There's a prime example of people who are ruled by emotions and not intellect. And they belong wholly to the far right wing of the GOP.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:43 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Have you not been paying attention to the near hysteria with which the SC ruling on gay marriage has been met by Conservatives here on this board? There's a prime example of people who are ruled by emotions and not intellect. And they belong wholly to the far right wing of the GOP.
And when are people like you going to realize that lumping all Conservatives together isn't smart either. Some of us are conservative fiscally and more left leaning socially. But, with each and every utterance from the FAR LEFT we drift back just a little further right than we were yesterday......... Sometimes, neither party just doesn't know when to shut the **** up.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:48 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,956,572 times
I think all political parties should be abolished. All candidates should be independent with no party platforms.

I'm actually very conservative. A business owner, gun owner - actually a gun business! I want nearly everything the republicans want, MINUS the hate and religious bigotry.

But I'm a gay female and the republican party basically wants me dead.

Old 06-29-2015, 01:51 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
And when are people like you going to realize that lumping all Conservatives together isn't smart either. Some of us are conservative fiscally and more left leaning socially. But, with each and every utterance from the FAR LEFT we drift back just a little further right than we were yesterday......... Sometimes, neither party just doesn't know when to shut the **** up.

That would be more along the lines of a libertarian, though I fail to see anything leftist about being libertarian. To the second statement that I bolded.... you aren't kidding! The Republican party would be better served in focusing on fiscal issues, and staying out of people's private lives, i.e. their bedrooms, or their bodies! When it comes down to it, they aren't any better when it comes to restricting individual freedoms and liberties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies