Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 10:47 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Do you lefties support Citizens United then? After all, the same people you're now cheering said corporations are people and you hate them for that.

It must suck waking up each day trying to figure out what you believe.
I have no problem figuring out what to believe.

The real question is why *you* think that a person must agree with SCOTUS either all the time or none of the time. Pretty robotic either way, don't you think?

Old 06-28-2015, 10:52 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
A better idea would be to require a civil marriage ceremony in order to obtain marital rights (employee benes for spouse, tax treatment as married , asset disposition if divorce results or death of spouse).

Government should not accept a religious service as an act of civil marriage.
And it doesn't! What on earth are you talking about? Have you never been married????

*No* kind of ceremony is required to be legally married.

1) Get a marriage license from (usually) the county clerk.

2) Have the marriage certificate signed by a legally qualified officiant and the required number of witnesses. That is *all* that is required.

The officiant doesn't have to perform an actual ceremony.

Old 06-28-2015, 10:52 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Or you could just find another country that still caters to your brand of hatred and homophobia. There are still plenty out there to choose from.
The problem with that is that I do not hate and do not fear homosexuals. Your use of those terms does demonstrate however that you hate and fear people who disagree with you. Why are you so bigoted and intolerant?

Old 06-28-2015, 11:01 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
That's their problem. The train has left the station.

[choo-choo...!!]
Exactly. Conservatives were given the chance to grant gays civil unions. In response they passed laws in 30 states prohibiting them. In essence, this case came before the SC as a result of the right refusing civil unions to gays. Now they want a do over. Too bad for them. They had their chance, refused it, and are talking about civil unions now only because they lost. But it's too late. That ship has sailed. Gay marriage is here to stay.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:03 PM

34,056 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
And it doesn't! What on earth are you talking about? Have you never been married????

*No* kind of ceremony is required to be legally married.

1) Get a marriage license from (usually) the county clerk.

2) Have the marriage certificate signed by a legally qualified officiant and the required number of witnesses. That is *all* that is required.

The officiant doesn't have to perform an actual ceremony.
IMO there should have to be a civil ceremony. That would justify legal rights associated with marriage.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:06 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Any thoughts on this?
Conservatives have been going full bore on carefully and specifically banning civil unions over the last decade or so. I see no reason to believe them if they suddenly claim to develop a liking for the idea. As a compromise, it might have been taken 10 or 15 years ago. Too late now.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:13 PM

1,136 posts, read 923,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I've been suggesting as much for a long time.

Civil Unions for all...... then if you want to get "married" go to a church.
The religious right used the government to protect marriage in the form they wanted to keep it in. They would have never gone for making marriage a religious issue only. The moment marriage would have become a religous issue only would have been the day gay marriage became legal in all 50 states. They played the only hand they had, always destined to loose.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:15 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
They're angry about *all* of it.

Marriage was around *long* before any christian church decided to claim it as a christian religious sacrament.

You are proposing that all non-christian people in the US avoid using the term "marriage" in order to preserve christians' delicate sensibilities. IMO, if they want a special word to describe the idea of having a religiously sanctified marriage, they are free to start using one anytime. As a matter of fact, there already is a term for it that churches have been using for centuries. It's "Holy Matrimony."
Can you imagine anyone following that?

"OMG! He asked me to civil union him?"

"We got civil unioned 4 years ago."

"Would you like to civil union me?"

"Look at my civil union pictures!"

"We are celebrating the 10th anniversary of our civil union."

People would still call it marriage because, as far as I know, nobody owns the word marriage.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The point in me asking this is if conservatives would be satisfied if the government did not call the agreement "marriage." Everything would stay exactly as it is except the government wouldn't call it marriage because marriage is a religious sacrament. Civil unions 100% identical to what is currently called marriage would be given to both gay and straight couples. Government would then have nothing to do with marriage and it would go back to being handled by the churches.

Would conservatives accept this? Is it just the word marriage that you are angry about or is it the fact that same sex couples have equal rights?
No they could never accept that. They needed the government to deny same sex marriage. Trust me I have heard several Christians tell gay people who had a ceremony in a church that they weren't really married. This was always about forcing there belief system on everyone else.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Do you lefties support Citizens United then? After all, the same people you're now cheering said corporations are people and you hate them for that.

It must suck waking up each day trying to figure out what you believe.
I guess now the left and the right can be equally hypocritical about their relationship to the supreme court
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies