Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 02:33 PM

1,136 posts, read 924,161 times

Advertisements

This isn't directed at the majority of republicans or conservatives who are not evangelicals. I want to know what is the Socially Conservative christian case agianst polygamy since it is in the bible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 08:52 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,128,243 times
It makes sense?

Old 06-29-2015, 09:06 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Its not "evangelical teaching it is orthodox Christianity where the Evangelic Church has not drifted from the Catholic and Orthodox traditions and while we see examples of polygamy in the Old Testament among Jews it is attributed to Jesus himself in Matthew 19 teaching that polygamy was not the plan

Old 06-29-2015, 09:41 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Its not "evangelical teaching it is orthodox Christianity where the Evangelic Church has not drifted from the Catholic and Orthodox traditions and while we see examples of polygamy in the Old Testament among Jews it is attributed to Jesus himself in Matthew 19 teaching that polygamy was not the plan
Poor planning.

Heck, did Adam and Eve even marry?

Old 06-29-2015, 09:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
I don't know what the biblical prohibition against polygamy is either. No one has ever answered me when i've asked.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:44 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
It would cost you a &#it load in attorney fees?

Old 06-29-2015, 09:50 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't know what the biblical prohibition against polygamy is either. No one has ever answered me when i've asked.
From what I can find, there really isn't one. There are Jesus quotes about 'male and female becoming one flesh' which people have said means marriage, though that sure sounds more like intercourse to me. Nothing in the Bible seems to actually speak ill of polygamy, and there are examples of polygamy in the Bible, which is never addressed as being sinful or immoral, at least not to my knowledge.

The argument against polygamy is entirely cultural.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:04 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
From what I can find, there really isn't one. There are Jesus quotes about 'male and female becoming one flesh' which people have said means marriage, though that sure sounds more like intercourse to me. Nothing in the Bible seems to actually speak ill of polygamy, and there are examples of polygamy in the Bible, which is never addressed as being sinful or immoral, at least not to my knowledge.

The argument against polygamy is entirely cultural.
Forget about polygamy, Bible describes greatness of Lot, offering his two virgin daughters to the crowd.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:24 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
The only direct reference in the new testament is the requirement for deacons and being the husband of one wife. and this from Paul , not Jesus so it really doesn't hold much weight.
firstly because Jesus already detrmined that there should be no titles of athourity among believers, period.
So creating the station of deacon is contrary to Jesus direct instruction.
Jesus did not condemn marriage, but He showed that it is a serious distraction to the relationship He prefirs among HIs believers.
Divorce is not God's ideal plan , it was allowed for the hardness of mens hearts but toe men are not likely that devoted to God any way. More devoted to their own desires .
As for the marriage of more the one woman per man,
They are by marrage become one flesh with him , but there is no provision for one woman and 2 men that would be equivelant to being homosexual. Much like the fact that a woman is bound to the man so long as he lives married or devorced and cannot remary till he dies. According to scriptures. Divorced women that rmary cause their previous husband and new husband into a homosexual relationship because she is still connected by the one flesh bond before God, to her previous husband.
That is what makes adultry .
Though the law of the land may differ it does not change the bond of the vow from God's perpective.
I know this will sturr up a hornet's nest , but the fact remains , If one has learned obedience to God these thing can be avoided from the beginning.
Taking counsil from men rather then God is a serious problem , Jesus provided the Holy Spirit to guide us to avoid problems like that .
God does not force people to behave, they always have a choice , and that is another way marriages go south though they had the best foundation to start with.
I don't think things are laid in concrete predetermined , I think there are potentials in several directions and our choices make the difference.
Whats the motvation to marry ? honestly deep down?
There are all kinds of noble excuses ,but the bottom line is, are you being obedient to God in this matter?
That is strictly between you and God . Matthew 7;21,22,23,

Old 06-29-2015, 11:14 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,398,309 times
Polygamy was banned in the USA for the sole reason of controlling the growth of the LDS movement. The ban in the Utah constitution and Federally are both blatantly oppressive and specifically discriminatory in spirit and would not pass today. The LDS were forced to change their religion for the sole reason of Utah becoming part of the USA. The bans are remnants of a more corrupt time. Polygamy is Biblical and historical, mostly in the more aristocratic classes in societies that have any significant social evolutionary link to the west. Polygamy begets more children, which is why it is discouraged by competing powerful groups such as 19th century Protestants and any Aristocracy. As Western civilization grew, Kings and the Aristocracy had strong population based incentives to limit the masses to a single wife.

Most modern articles that attempt to discredit polygamy get quickly bogged down in their own hand-waving as they strangely attempt to define the ideal social dynamics of a marriage that polygamous marriages inevitably fail to meet. An article that I recently read attempted to argue that any theoretically altered power dynamics in a polygamous relationship is grounds for a ban, and also a threat to democracy. Because of the cultural reflex against polygamy, it seems as if such authors aren't even bothered to reread their articles for mind bending ridiculousness. Their protests have no significant Biblical, Social, nor Philosophical root.

For the record, I'm not LDS let alone a polygamist. I'm also quite conservative, which I believe polygamy to philosophically align with. Though, I agree that it isn't in line with mainstream Christian tradition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies