Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 08:55 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,114,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
For a statist, that flag is like garlic to a vampire
I think statists are evil incarnate, and I'm generally hostile to the CSA flag.

Outside of memorials, cemeteries, museums, or private property I see no reason for it to be anywhere.

Yes, Lincoln was a tyrant but he wasn't keeping people in multigenerational chattel slavery. I have personally seen the original Virginia secession declaration, and slavery is in paragraph two.

I have friends who love that damned flag (and got on the news with it, sigh) and we've just agreed not to talk about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 10:02 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
I think statists are evil incarnate, and I'm generally hostile to the CSA flag.

Outside of memorials, cemeteries, museums, or private property I see no reason for it to be anywhere.

Yes, Lincoln was a tyrant but he wasn't keeping people in multigenerational chattel slavery. I have personally seen the original Virginia secession declaration, and slavery is in paragraph two.

I have friends who love that damned flag (and got on the news with it, sigh) and we've just agreed not to talk about it.
And in my opinion, the memorials to the CSA should not be publicly funded.

My perspective is this. I am sure that Abraham Lincoln did look down on Blacks, and he might have done stupid things. However, none of that has anything to do with the initial secession of the southern states. It doesn't refute the fact that in the Articles of Secession, and in the Confederate Constitution, there was an expressed desire to keep and maintain slavery. Yes, slavery existed in the USA for 89 years. Does that refute what was mentioned in the Articles of Secession and the Confederate Constitution? Better yet, there was no amendment in the U.S. Constitution to protect the institution of slavery.

The founding fathers and Abraham Lincoln were wishy-washy about the slavery issues. The Confederate side was quite clear what their goals were and how they saw slavery as important to the South. That is the difference.

This is why I have no respect for the Confederate flag. This is why I view those who fly that flag in a disdainful way. I'm not looking for a reason to be offended. I genuinely do not like the Confederate flag and I firmly believe it should never be flown from government buildings.

If a person wants to fly that flag from their private property(house, truck,etc) or wear the t-shirts, I can't stop them. It's protected under the U.S. Constitution as free speech. That said, if I never saw another person fly that flag, I would be very happy.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:23 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,315,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Sectionalism, states' rights and then slavery...it went in that order. Sorry to rain on your parade.

ANYWAY....there is not a black alive today who was a slave or knows someone who was a slave. Much of us had nothing to do with it at all (we've been over this before regarding my state - the only reasons blacks are even in my state - why they even showed up in the first place up here - was because they/you were/are STRIKEBREAKERS.)

Funny how you liberals are all so pro-union and such but don't see the twisted reason why minorities are even in places like Minnesota - they were crossing the line of the working Anglo American to violate our rights as union people. If it wasn't for that bull**** our state would to this day be majority Anglo.

So anyway, you guys play that victimhood crap too much and we're all pretty tired of it.
Wow. Does this mean that blacks should not be in your state in your opinion? Also, out of the most racially segregated top 25 cities in the US only five are in the South. To everybody who questions whether or not the Civil War had anything to do with slavery read the Cornerstone Speech. This speech detailed the differences between the US Constitution and the Constitution of the Confederacy. It is clear that slavery was very much part of the Confederacy. I am a Southerner and would not live anywhere else, and I support anyone's right to fly whatever flag they choose, but I realize that slavery was supported by the Confederacy. There is no one today that could possibly believe that slavery was okay. I am tired of the whole issue to be honest. History can't be changed, or amended, but we can learn from it.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:13 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Robert E. Lee came from a slave-owning family, but upon his father-in-law's death, all those slaves were freed (this was 1862 before the Emancipation Proclamation). In a letter to President Pierce, Lee wrote that "There are few, I believe, in this enlightened age, who will not acknowledge that slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil."

The Grants owned slaves that came from Julia's father and Grant himself was responsible for supervising them. These slaves were not freed until 1865 when Missouri officially abolished slavery.

Take down all of Grants statues
correction. Lee had 5 years from the death of his father in law in 1857, to get rid of them.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:14 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,882,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Robert E. Lee came from a slave-owning family, but upon his father-in-law's death, all those slaves were freed (this was 1862 before the Emancipation Proclamation). In a letter to President Pierce, Lee wrote that "There are few, I believe, in this enlightened age, who will not acknowledge that slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil."

The Grants owned slaves that came from Julia's father and Grant himself was responsible for supervising them. These slaves were not freed until 1865 when Missouri officially abolished slavery.

Take down all of Grants statues
correction. Lee had 5 years from the death of his father in law in 1857, to get rid of them.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:56 PM

65 posts, read 42,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
"The opinions were not only divided by race, but also, among whites, by education, with people who have more formal education being less likely to see the flag as a symbol of pride."

So basically white people with a low education level think the flag represents pride....why am I not shocked by this poll?
The same low education white people aren't vaccinating their kids in Silicon Valley:

"Today debates about vaccination are as vibrant as ever, and rates are particularly low in Northern California, where the author resides. The problem isn’t confined to the groovier bastions of Marin County and San Francisco, either; Silicon Valley is part of it too (see “The Sickeningly Low Vaccination Rates at Silicon Valley Day Cares” and its follow-up in Wired this year). The very geeks we as a culture lionize for their analytical gifts now stand at the vanguard of a plainly irrational movement that threatens to jeopardize public health."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/23/bo...silberman.html

Old 08-29-2015, 09:45 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,449,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
It was racist from the day it was carried by the Army of Northern Virginia, who was fighting to maintain the institution of slavery. And it was blatantly racists when southern states started flying it during the Civil Rights era.
Were you awake the day they taught history at your school? What a pity you weren't.

Ever hear of the concept of 'states rights'?

Do you know what a 'confederation' is or what a 'federation' is?

Have you ever heard of 'revisionist history'?

El Nox
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies