Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 07:20 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,332 times

Advertisements

Some of ya'll may have a hard time believing this, but for several years I called myself a Libertarian. I understand the movement pretty well- and even now when I take political quizzes, I always test as "left-libertarian"... though I wouldn't use the term. So first I'm gonna set out two understandings of what Libertarians believe- and ya'll are free to correct me if I get something wrong. Then I'm gonna lay out a scenario that will naturally result from these two libertarian policies, and I'd like to know if ya'll are ok with it. Here goes:

I understand that Libertarians are in favor of legalized prostitution- and I'm right there with ya'll on that. We're talking about consenting adults here of course. Selling is legal. Sex is legal. Why isn't selling sex legal? Yes there are problems that go along with prostitution- but those are separate crimes in and of themselves and could be prosecuted as such.

I also understand that Libertarians favor strictly "at will" employment. In other words, Libertarians reckon that employers should be able to act however they want within the law (laws which would as basic and limited as possible of course)- and people are free to work for them or not. There's no initiation of force here- if you don't like how the company or its representatives are behaving, you're free to leave and work elsewhere. And of course if employers behave too terribly, they'll have a hard time getting people to work for them and won't be able to maintain their business. It's magically self-correcting!

So let's say there's an attractive single mother working at one of the nasty factories prevalent in deepest darkest Appalachia where I grew up. The boss calls her into the office and shuts the door. He tells her: "ok, now suck my ***k or you're fired" He initiates force in no other way. Her choices are to perform fellatio right then and there, or walk out the door and seek employment elsewhere.

Sure this isn't legal in today's world... we all know that. Sure it may be against some company policy... but let's just say he's the owner of the company so as to get that distraction out of the way. I want to know- in a magical Libertarian Paradise where nobody initiates force and employment is strictly at will...

Would this be legal?

In other words, do Libertarians support boss's rights to pressure their employees into sex? (so long as force isn't initiated, of course)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 07:26 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Yes, it would be.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:38 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,356,621 times
Yes, but I'd hope the employee would let others know about it. The owner has the right to do it, but that behavior shouldn't be seen as acceptable. If he truly did it, people should stop supporting his business.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, it would be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Yes, but I'd hope the employee would let others know about it. The owner has the right to do it, but that behavior shouldn't be seen as acceptable. If he truly did it, people should stop supporting his business.
And what if they don't?

I know at least two factories back in my old stompin' grounds where this has happened to women multiple times. Those women have told people about it, have reported it and even posted it on the internet. Yet these businesses are still operating.

But I AM glad to hear that Libertarians support the rights of bosses to rape employees. Good to know where people stand

Old 07-05-2015, 07:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
"Libertarians" like any other belief do not all believe the same thing.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
"Libertarians" like any other belief do not all believe the same thing.
That's why I'm *asking* Libertarians.

So what say you? In Libertopian-fantasy-land, would bosses have the right to pressure their female employees into sex so long as they do not initiate force?

Seems to me that any position in opposition to that would be very UN-Libertarian. But feel free to explain where I'm wrong.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:59 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
And what if they don't?

I know at least two factories back in my old stompin' grounds where this has happened to women multiple times. Those women have told people about it, have reported it and even posted it on the internet. Yet these businesses are still operating.

But I AM glad to hear that Libertarians support the rights of bosses to rape employees. Good to know where people stand
How is it rape if she agrees to do it? It is prostitution. Something you support being legal.

We have seen the results of liberal fantasies. Gulags.

You were never a libertarian.

Last edited by whogo; 07-05-2015 at 08:11 PM..

Old 07-05-2015, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
How is it rape if she agrees to do it it is prostitution. Something you support being legal.
That's a good question.

See, I'm not a Libertarian- despite political quizzes implying otherwise. So I whole-heatedly support government oversight INCLUDING laws that prevent sexual harassment and the like. In turkeyheadtopia, only women who deliberately go into prostitution will be asked to perform sex as part of their job.

But Libertarians don't support such laws. So under a Libertarian system of government, it would be perfectly legal for a boss to pressure their employees for sex. Or am I missing something??

Old 07-05-2015, 08:04 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,926 times
Libertarian = Trojan-horse Republican

Old 07-05-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
And what if they don't?

And by the way, this is taking place in a right-to-work state.

Some of these factories also intentionally hire drug addicts. This way, when somebody gets hurt on the job... they always fail the mandatory drug test. And the employer doesn't have to pay workman's comp.

Aint' Holy Capitalism grand??

But let's not deviate too much from the main topic of the thread. My Libertarian friends- can you please explain to us all the virtues of being raped by the boss?

Does it build character or something??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies