Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 03:52 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Because it bothers you. It's so easy to do these days.
That is a lame excuse, especially when it labels those that wave the Confederate flag as racists and bigots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 04:28 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
Because I dislike the flag of a traitor pseudo-nation?

As for what I am basing my claim on, I see only Republican lawmakers showing a history of resisting removal of the flag over the last few years and the present.

I could be wrong, but so far on the state level, just Republicans.

Historical illiteracy?
The Flag is being removed in SC and Gov, Niki Haley(R) is taking steps in removing the State Historically Flag. So your claim is false. what you see is people trying to defend their heritage against those who choose to paint a negative tint on the CSA.

There has been many post that slavery was on both sides the Union as well as the CSA.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:14 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
ONLY your definition of what this flag means counts? No one else can define it???
The confederate army lost the war. Their flag has no business being flown at public buildings in this country.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Because only the way you define this symbol counts. It's not like how the people actually using this symbol have any input into how they define it?
The people waving the confederate flag can define it any way they want. The people looking at them, can define them any way they want and it won't be pretty.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
There was a time in which cavemen gutted and ate each other for breakfast. So what? Means nothing today.

Damn rights. As well, it is time those who stir the conflict by reading rabble-rousing Jewish garbage have their books burned.

Your logic is impeccable. What you are saying is that you should only enjoy your constitutional rights if you don't exercise those constitutional rights. Brilliant.

Of course you are. You've been told that since the day you were born, as have all your comrades. How could you be anything but?

If those cavemen who "gutted and ate each other for breakfast," had a flag, we would not fly it from a state building. Wouldn't you agree?

Old 07-06-2015, 06:24 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Because it bothers you. It's so easy to do these days.
Sarcasm. Responding to a serious question with backhanded humor. What it shows is an inability or a willingness to answer the question directly.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is a lame excuse, especially when it labels those that wave the Confederate flag as racists and bigots.
It's more or less a backhanded way of evading the question. It is also a way of making fun of the questions.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The confederate army lost the war. Their flag has no business being flown at public buildings in this country.
Agreed. If one wants to paint in on a car or fly it from a truck, it's allowed. I won't like it at all, I certainly have no respect for ANYTHING related to the Confederate cause. However, it is one's freedom of speech in that aspect. It doesn't belong on public buildings or federal buildings. Only USA flags and the state flags.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:39 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Do you personally know all of the folks who fly the Confederate flag? No? Then this response is so shallow, so biased, so myopic and disingenuous that it labels you as the bigot and ignorant one. You are generalizing in the worst, most nonintellectual way possible. As been well established (to anyone with any sense of fairness and intellectual honesty) the flag means different things to different people. Yet you not only chose to ignore this fact, but insist on some kind of omnipotent knowledge that informs you how every one with a Confederate flag feels. Wow. Just wow.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:40 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Do you personally know all of the folks who fly the Confederate flag? No? Then this response is so shallow, so biased, so myopic and disingenuous that it labels you as the bigot and ignorant one. You are generalizing in the worst, most nonintellectual way possible. As been well established (to anyone with any sense of fairness and intellectual honesty) the flag means different things to different people. Yet you not only chose to ignore this fact, but insist on some kind of omnipotent knowledge that informs you how every one with a Confederate flag feels. Wow. Just wow.
I grew up in Virginia and have known people who flew the Confederate flag, they were typically naive or racist bigot. Your assumption of who I am or my life is laughable at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies