Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 10:04 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,379,331 times

Advertisements

In any thread where someone criticizes the south, conservatives from the north and west will jump in quickly to defend southerners. In threads about the confederate flag there are more northern and western conservatives spouting the "states rights not slavery" and "southern heritage not hate" propaganda than there are southerners. I bet some of their ancestors who fought and died to save the union would be disgusted. Almost every conservative I know listens to country music but not the regional style of music that has developed in their own area. I've even heard some trying to speak with slight southern accents. If you go to the "relocating" sections of this forum you will see numerous threads started by conservatives from the north and west asking questions about relocating to the south (though almost none of them ever actually do it), especially Texas. Do these dreamers really believe Texas isn't experiencing the same problems with illegals, increase in housing prices, traffic, and an increasingly liberal demographic that will eventually dominate the state's politics? Are they completely oblivious to the fact that most native "good ol boy" Texans don't even like transplants, especially ones from the culturally different north and west?

I'd like to go back to the days when north and west conservatives had regional and state pride, even if the politics of their area doesn't fit their ideology. And especially to the days when they had pride in their ancestors who died to save the union against rebels.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:07 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,395,954 times
Why do liberals worship 3rd world trash?

Old 07-07-2015, 10:11 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,021,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surftown831 View Post
I've even heard some trying to speak with slight southern accents.

I know what you mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaDQ1vIuvZI

Old 07-07-2015, 10:12 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Respect is not worship.

I think there is tremendous regional diversity in the South. I don't claim to know anything about the south, but southerners I know are humble, funny, down to earth, and very smart. Most of them (the southerners that I know) lead very authentic life. (Girls are beautiful, guys are handsome. But this is another topic ) They are just more "natural", most of them are not Pretentious or superficial.

I also like the sexy accent.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:15 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
I wouldnt even have a dam clue what type of music was developed in "my" area..

What a dumb notion

Old 07-07-2015, 10:15 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,379,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Respect is not worship.

I think there is tremendous regional diversity in the South. I don't claim to know anything about the south, but southerners I know are humble, funny, down to earth, and very smart. Most of them (the southerners that I know) lead very authentic life. (Girls are beautiful, guys are handsome. But this is another topic )

Case in point.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:18 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Respect is not worship.

I think there is tremendous regional diversity in the South. I don't claim to know anything about the south, but southerners I know are humble, funny, down to earth, and very smart. Most of them (the southerners that I know) lead very authentic life. (Girls are beautiful, guys are handsome. But this is another topic )

That is why we spend as much time as we can in N. Ga. having left the wonderful *sarcasm* state of Illinois. The folks are warm and friendly. Life is at a much slower pace for the most part. You get to know your neighbors and become almost like family. Yes... there are a few that go to both sides of the issues, but even with those differences we can co-exist. Unlike the typical stereotype here on CD. Ironically enough, any of the problems that do occur usually occur among the locals and the move in who have accepted the lifestyle and the newbies from other states who are continually harping..."Well, back home we did it this way." If it was so good back there... go back!

Old 07-07-2015, 10:22 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
That is why we spend as much time as we can in N. Ga. having left the wonderful *sarcasm* state of Illinois. The folks are warm and friendly. Life is at a much slower pace for the most part. You get to know your neighbors and become almost like family. Yes... there are a few that go to both sides of the issues, but even with those differences we can co-exist. Unlike the typical stereotype here on CD. Ironically enough, any of the problems that do occur usually occur among the locals and the move in who have accepted the lifestyle and the newbies from other states who are continually harping..."Well, back home we did it this way." If it was so good back there... go back!

I agree. Call me crazy, but to me relocating to somewhere else means you were wanting getting away from whatever crap that was back there in the first place, and starting fresh! Why bring it with you? That also applies to people coming here from abroad, and then expecting us to cave to their customs!

Old 07-07-2015, 10:27 AM

1,136 posts, read 924,480 times
Because they see Southerners as authentic. Its no different than the countless other people who worhsip people who have different lifestyles because they are convinced authenticity is what is missing from there lives. Everyone wants to exhalt the salt the salt of the earth without giving up the conveniences of there more hectic and complex daily lives.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:28 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I agree. Call me crazy, but to me relocating to somewhere else means you were wanting getting away from whatever crap that was back there in the first place, and starting fresh! Why bring it with you? That also applies to people coming here from abroad, and then expecting us to cave to their customs!
To many are like locust. They move in hoards. Anyone who knows anything about Florida 40 years ago will agree with me on this one. Old Florida is no longer recognizable. I have family there who are seriously considering leaving. But then the hoard will just follow them in a few years again so it's a vicious cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies