Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 07:45 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I was just addressing the total murders per year. They are accurate. I didn't go back in read any other posts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Chicago#Murders

You did not have to go back and read posts, you quoted my post and answered nothing.

Quote:
Ok, you are talking about the assault weapon ban. Which the FBI concluded did not deter gun deaths in any way. I know this, and I was against the ban since it violated my 2A. Weapon of choice for gang bangers is a semi auto handgun which is easily concealed.
Yep, however, does the original poster know and or understand this? That was why I answered the way I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 07:51 PM

29,533 posts, read 19,620,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You did not have to go back and read posts, you quoted my post and answered nothing.
You asked for a link to those murder numbers, and I have seen them before to know that they are accurate. I wasn't addressing anything else.

Quote:

Yep, however, does the original poster know and or understand this? That was why I answered the way I did.
Point taken.

There are loop holes though that allow for Chicago's street gangs get a hold of weapons. Many of their guns come from Indiana

Indiana guns: Favorite of Chicago gangbangers | WGN-TV

Old 07-07-2015, 08:26 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Those figures are correct. Murders today number what they did in the 1960's.... When 1 million more people lived in the city limits. Basically, Chicago's West and South sides are for ****. Though the Westside near the Loop and about 1/3rd of the Southside is decent. The Northside is now mostly gentrified (with notable exceptions like Uptown, Rogers Park, and the west end of Albany Park)
Murders in the USA are lower than in the 1960s. This has nothing to do with Chicago.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:27 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
It`s not nearly as bad now as it was in the Reagan years. Could it be because of a smaller percentage of homes that have firearms?
Last month the FBI conducted nearly 1.53 million background checks, which are required for all in-store purchases, but not for sales at gun shows or between individuals. That's the highest volume of checks in June since 1999, when the FBI started keeping track.
Gun background checks have climbed annually since 2003 with the exception of just three years, one of which was 2014, indicating a clear jump in gun sales.
Michael Bazinet, spokesman for the National Shooting Sports Foundation, a gun industry group, said the increase is driven in part by the influx of more women and first-time gun owners into the market.

Gun sales spike in June - Jul. 7, 2015

Old 07-08-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
You asked for a link to those murder numbers, and I have seen them before to know that they are accurate. I wasn't addressing anything else.
I want the poster I quoted to provide the link, nothing against you, I want to see where that poster got their information.

And you notice, they have not responded.

Quote:
Point taken.

There are loop holes though that allow for Chicago's street gangs get a hold of weapons. Many of their guns come from Indiana

Indiana guns: Favorite of Chicago gangbangers | WGN-TV

The loop holes you speak of are BS, they used fake ID's (They KNOW they are lying)....."Big Man" knew he was breaking the law.

Now, I want you to go across the closet border, being honest, and try to buy a gun, any gun. You will have to fill out a 4473 and guess what, if you buy a hand gun, and the person you are buying from is a true FFL, you won't get it. You can get a long gun, but still have to go through the 4473.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:01 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
It's always so touching when white conservatives show such genuine concern for gun crime in Chicago. Really pulls at the heart strings.
First, how do you know I'm white? Second, will your idol Obumma be attending any funerals in Chitown?
Regards,
Glock

Old 07-09-2015, 08:40 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
It's always so touching when white conservatives show such genuine concern for gun crime in Chicago. Really pulls at the heart strings.
If ruthless killers want to kill each other, then so be it.

My problem with it is that the anti gun folks use these gun violence stats that are inflated by gang bangers, against legal, law abiding gun owners.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:56 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Those figures are correct. Murders today number what they did in the 1960's.... When 1 million more people lived in the city limits. Basically, Chicago's West and South sides are for ****. Though the Westside near the Loop and about 1/3rd of the Southside is decent. The Northside is now mostly gentrified (with notable exceptions like Uptown, Rogers Park, and the west end of Albany Park)
It seems the other poster is suggesting Clintons gun laws made a big dent in the murder numbers, but I never believed that to be true. As a matter of fact the trend of declining murder rate continues after the bans expired.

Like I said before, there are other reasons for the declining murder rates, and they have nothing to do with tougher or looser gun laws.

Murders in 1994 (when Clinton ban went into effect) = 931
Murders in 2004 (when the law expired) = 453

So, murders were cut by 50% while the law was in effect, so I understand why he would jump into concluding the law reduced the killings, but there is more to it than that. I will just have to agree to disagree with him.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 07-09-2015 at 09:05 AM..

Old 07-09-2015, 02:15 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
What good are local or municipal gun laws when people can simply bring guns in from places where the laws are less restrictive? The only way to truly end gun violence is going to be by uniform laws restricting access across the country, like they've done in Australia.

This piecemeal approach is worthless because it's too easy to avoid laws by crossing state or county lines. That's why it's a joke any time the gun lovers point to Chicago's more restrictive laws as "proof" that gun laws don't work. It's really proof that piecemeal laws don't work.
Um no, they would still get guns shipped to them from Mexico or any other nation that is supplying them drugs. They will buried under the tons of coke and heroin and the will be FULLY automatic. Be thankful they are getting them from within the US where they can only get semi-autos.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It seems the other poster is suggesting Clintons gun laws made a big dent in the murder numbers,
What a warped way to think? I brought that up to show that more LAWS DON'T work.

Quote:
but I never believed that to be true. As a matter of fact the trend of declining murder rate continues after the bans expired.
Yet is went UP during the ban clinton imposed....

Quote:
Like I said before, there are other reasons for the declining murder rates, and they have nothing to do with tougher or looser gun laws.

Murders in 1994 (when Clinton ban went into effect) = 931
Murders in 2004 (when the law expired) = 453
In 1994, there were only 931 murders in the United States? Last time I checked the law was not just for chicago, again, my point was that murders went UP when the ban was imposed.

Quote:
So, murders were cut by 50% while the law was in effect, so I understand why he would jump into concluding the law reduced the killings, but there is more to it than that. I will just have to agree to disagree with him.
Wow...just WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW: rolleyes:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies