Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 11:22 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

President Barack Obama commutes sentences of 46 drug offenders - CNNPolitics.com

I rarely agree with the present, but I do agree in decriminalization of nonviolent drug offenses. These may all be 46 drug dealing murderers, but it looks like a semi-positive step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 11:24 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
As I said in another thread about this exact same issue, it's a nice gesture but actually changing the law might be a longer lasting effort. Which I would support. Prisons are too full of "criminals" as is. Given at least 50% are in for completely non-violent, generally drug related crimes, I have to question the validity of our current prison system.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:28 AM

549 posts, read 625,639 times
Buying, selling, and consuming drugs = victimless crime. Should be completely decriminalized.

And this coming from someone whose only drug of choice is a nice imperial stout (or several) on a Friday night.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:42 AM

24,495 posts, read 17,232,699 times
I don't think the use of illegal drugs is ever a victimless crime. We all have a choice to take drugs or not. Those that do often get addicted and they will do anything to feed their habit.

I spoke with a relative this morning and we talked about drugs and she said there is a growing problem in her town where needles from heroine use are showing up on the streets, in the parks etc.. Imagine one innocent person getting stuck with a diseased needle. That one prick could ruin their lives.

If we are soft on addicts and treat them like they have a disease how about the dealers? The dealers are destroying lives and families. Talk about victims. It has to be terrible for someone to love an addict and not knowing when they will overdose or praying non stop that their last stint in rehab sticks.

How about the drugs coming into the country via drug mules that are either paid because they are desperate or they have no choice.

How about the violence that plagues the likes of Chicago. It is mostly young black guys killing other young black guys and drugs are usually involved.

El Chapo a drug cartel kingpin has just escaped a maximum security prison in Mexico. He certainly had help and either paid people off or threatened them.

The drug trade is not pretty from start to finish and locking up the key players has to be done. It is either that or we need to do what some other countries do and execute the repeat offenders.

We need to treat the addicts and lock up the dealers.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:53 AM

IMO, users need to be treated as a medical issue, not a criminal one.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:15 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
We will never stop people from using drugs. We can stop wasting millions of dollars on law enforcement, the judicial system and penal system by arresting, trying and incarcerating people for posession and use of drugs. It is a HUGE WASTE OF MONEY AND RESOURCES. These folks have their lives ruined, no treatment and are then put back on the street to repeat the cycle. Why do we allow this to go on? Put that money into education, treatment, and recreation facilities for the at risk youth who we know are headed for a life of drug addiction.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:17 PM

260 posts, read 218,366 times
Hope we keep a good record on these individuals. Huckabee pardoned a guy who went on to kill. He had been a "non violent" offender too.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
We will never stop people from using drugs. We can stop wasting millions of dollars on law enforcement, the judicial system and penal system by arresting, trying and incarcerating people for posession and use of drugs. It is a HUGE WASTE OF MONEY AND RESOURCES. These folks have their lives ruined, no treatment and are then put back on the street to repeat the cycle. Why do we allow this to go on? Put that money into education, treatment, and recreation facilities for the at risk youth who we know are headed for a life of drug addiction.
While I agree resources need to be more directed toward prevention and rehabilitation, getting involved in drugs is still a personal choice. I am from a bad part of Tennessee where drug use and dealing is common and did not get involved in the drug business, and am better off because of it.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:25 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
As I said in another thread about this exact same issue, it's a nice gesture but actually changing the law might be a longer lasting effort. Which I would support. Prisons are too full of "criminals" as is. Given at least 50% are in for completely non-violent, generally drug related crimes, I have to question the validity of our current prison system.

Of course, you're such an authority on such things.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I think that juries and judges best at doing what criminal justice systems calls is intend for and not turning justice system into just another political issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies