Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 05:50 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,327,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I think we need to take guns away from cops, they haveproved they are not mature enough to have one
While we are the subject of immaturity...

The simple fact as long as this country is armed to the gills the police need to have the weapons necessary to protect themselves and the public. That doesn't mean that I in anyway approve of many of the instances where the police have unduly employed firearms against the public, but facts are facts, there are well armed and dangerous people that the police must confront as a result we will have to live with police officers armed to deal with such individuals.

Old 07-17-2015, 05:54 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
While we are the subject of immaturity...

The simple fact as long as this country is armed to the gills the police need to have the weapons necessary to protect themselves and the public. That doesn't mean that I in anyway approve of many of the instances where the police have unduly employed firearms against the public, but facts are facts, there are well armed and dangerous people that the police must confront as a result we will have to live with police officers armed to deal with such individuals.
A perfect response to nonsense. Thanks!

Old 07-17-2015, 06:17 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshoe View Post
With the recent events of high-profile mass shootings. Should police officers be allowed to carry military-style assault weapons. Back in 2008 Miami Police Chief John Timoney told the Miami Herald that semiautomatic assault weapons have become “the weapon of choice among gangs.. They're everywhere".
How would one expect police officers to defend their community and themselves basically using pea shooters.
Pretty sure most police departments do have a small arsenal of automatic weapons, probably weapons similar to the M4 rifle.

By the way, they don't carry a pea shooter. The standard side arm, from what I know, is generally a high capacity 9mm handgun which is plenty efficient in nearly every situation a cop would find themselves in (and needing a gun). The real world doesn't work like Call of Duty; pistols are plenty efficient on the field.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:22 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Pretty sure most police departments do have a small arsenal of automatic weapons, probably weapons similar to the M4 rifle.

By the way, they don't carry a pea shooter. The standard side arm, from what I know, is generally a high capacity 9mm handgun which is plenty efficient in nearly every situation a cop would find themselves in (and needing a gun). The real world doesn't work like Call of Duty; pistols are plenty efficient on the field.
PD would be a mix of m4's and mp5's.

9mm/shotgun is not adaquit for someone with body armor or any short of engagement at distance. YouTube "Hollywood shoot out" when two men armed with illegal full auto rifles and head to toe body armor did. The police had to drive to a local gun shop and confiscate ar15 to take out the bad guys.

I have no problem with pd's having adaquit weaponry that the general public is allowed to have to do thier job.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:05 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
With the recent events of high-profile mass shootings. Should police officers be allowed to carry military-style assault weapons. Back in 2008 Miami Police Chief John Timoney told the Miami Herald that semiautomatic assault weapons have become “the weapon of choice among gangs.. They're everywhere".
How would one expect police officers to defend their community and themselves basically using pea shooters.
..(sigh) what do "semi automatic assault weapons" have to do with police having real assault weapons? And, last I checked, the cops are packing the same kind of firepower that military , specops units load their plates with. From , standard issue, high cap handguns, all the way to 50 BMG , extreme range capable, heavy hitting, weapons, actually originally fielded for use against light/medium armored vehicles.

Cops are , hardly, our gunned, these days. They've always had access to some pretty fun toys, starting back in the Chicago style gangster days, with the 1928, 45 cal Thompson machine gun and the BAR, 30 06, squad light machine gun. Not exactly "pea shooters". Any of them. Word of advice, before starting a thread, posing such a ridiculous premise, read up a bit on what the cops are packing, as standard issue, these days, and bone up a bit on firearms tech, starting with terminology that is correct, and what that terminology actually means, as to the capability of various weapons.

Here's a good place to start. All the big, metro departments have their officers carrying, as standard issue, the following types of firearms:

Handguns. Double stack semi autos, in calibers ranging from 9mm , 40 SW and 45 ACP.
A 12 gauge , at least, 8 shot slide or semi auto, shotgun. Loaded with slugs and/or 00 buckshot.
A "cruiser carbine". The M4, 5.56 mm NATO being the most ubiquitous. Although the Rugger Mini 14, the Steyr AUG, SA, M14/M1A, and a host of other, very hard hitting weapons in to many calibers to list, are also heavily represented.
A 40mm grenade launcher, usually an M203, has become something , commonly seen, in the trunks of cop cars.
A long range, scope sighted, "sniper rifle" is an pretty common sight, as well. The Remington, M48, is a favorite, in 7.62 x51 NATO is the preferred caliber. Though other calibers and types see their share of use.

Look a few of these up. Miami is a good agency to start with, as to what their cops have in their cars. These weapons are not just limited to SOC team use , anymore. Regular , patrol officers, have them as well. They can , pretty much, take on all comers. Not even, are they naked in the face of their enemies. The rural SO, here where I live, has all these weapons, at least three of which will be with an individual deputy, at all times, while on patrol.

There is no question as to them being allowed to carry these weapons. They can, and they do. Anymore, even a smaller, rural department, can field enough firepower to level the towns they "protect". Big city departments have the capability of becoming a heavy assault unit, with armored vehicles and airpower to augment. And, a more than large number of cops, hitting the streets these days, are multiple tour, military, combat vets. The days of Adam 12 are LONG over, man.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:12 PM

24,502 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Police do need to have solid firepower at their disposal but fully auto I don't think so. A semi automatic AR15 with a 30 round magazine can deliver rounds as fast as the shooter can pull the trigger.

When too many bullets get fired they start to lose track of them and any responsible shooter accounts for every bullet he fires.

I think it would be a pretty rare circumstance that a full auto would be needed.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:21 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,701,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
You are correct, the guns "should be aimed"
Had the hardest time getting my rookie students to understand that...

Old 07-17-2015, 07:23 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
Had the hardest time getting my rookie students to understand that...
It is really unfortunate how bad some are with their firearms.

Not all police officers are gun people.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:26 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
While outside their vehicles on foot patrol or in their vehicles? I believe that they are already allowed to have them in their vehicles for unusual situations. As for foot patrol, no.

[that would be overkill]

Old 07-17-2015, 07:29 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,701,008 times
Re: Post #28, My fellow instructors and I had a few thoughts on the subject, but political correctness rears its ugly head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies