Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:30 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Ok my range was $478 for 5500 deductable and 30% to $1100 for really good coverage, 500 deducatable. and no %

But question is, how do I cover my MS and Thyroid disorder and my sons chronic Migraines that require meds? Thats what kills my health insurance premiums.
For me it would be $261 a month for a $5k with 0% copay for a family of 4.

For prescriptions, are they generic? Walmart has $4 generics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 11:38 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
For me it would be $261 a month for a $5k with 0% copay for a family of 4.

For prescriptions, are they generic? Walmart has $4 generics.
I think it is our age I am 37 and my husband 39, and our pre-existing conditions and the fact I have to have examines and MRI every few months for my MS. And my Avonex for MS without insurance is $1000 a month, no generic options. My son takes a pain blocker for his Migraines, again no generic options. I already take generic for my thyroid.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:17 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Sweetheart, I genuinely hurt for you. I am so sad that anyone must face the torture that MS can bring. I don't mean to pain you more, only that people, but maybe not your particular case, think they can run bare, get sick, and expect either the government or people such as myself to pay for their failure to budget and pay for insurance while they were "insurable".

People do fall through the cracks. I understand, but when cable tv, gadgets, a new car, high interest credit cards and other non-essentials get priority over fundemental necessities such as health insurance... I have no sympathy.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
Sweetheart, I genuinely hurt for you. I am so sad that anyone must face the torture that MS can bring. I don't mean to pain you more, only that people, but maybe not your particular case, think they can run bare, get sick, and expect either the government or people such as myself to pay for their failure to budget and pay for insurance while they were "insurable".

People do fall through the cracks. I understand, but when cable tv, gadgets, a new car, high interest credit cards and other non-essentials get priority over fundemental necessities such as health insurance... I have no sympathy.
I really really want health insurance. I save for months to get my medicine, which I should take every month but don't because we cant afford it and health insurance will only cover half. It shouldn't be this hard. Health insurance should be affordable, period. But I have a pre-existing condition so I wouldn't be covered for a year and my rates are high. I drive an 8 year old car, we have basic cable, we camp in a tent, no ATV's, no big screen, no stereos. I have one emergency CC so we dont misspend. If my husbands employer would offer it, we would get better insurance at group rates, which is much more affordable than individual. Also they usually do not have Pre-existing condition wait period. My husband is currently looking for another job that offers it. I work from home as free lance designer, since I can no longer bust my ass for hours a day. Again I DO NOT WANT FREE HEALTHCARE, just more affordable, instead of $850 a month with bad deductables and co insurance ( not co-pays), I would like a much lower deduct, and lower premiums. I don't want anyone paying for me.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:55 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I really really want health insurance. I save for months to get my medicine, which I should take every month but don't because we cant afford it and health insurance will only cover half. It shouldn't be this hard. Health insurance should be affordable, period. But I have a pre-existing condition so I wouldn't be covered for a year and my rates are high. I drive an 8 year old car, we have basic cable, we camp in a tent, no ATV's, no big screen, no stereos. I have one emergency CC so we dont misspend. If my husbands employer would offer it, we would get better insurance at group rates, which is much more affordable than individual. Also they usually do not have Pre-existing condition wait period. My husband is currently looking for another job that offers it. I work from home as free lance designer, since I can no longer bust my ass for hours a day. Again I DO NOT WANT FREE HEALTHCARE, just more affordable, instead of $850 a month with bad deductables and co insurance ( not co-pays), I would like a much lower deduct, and lower premiums. I don't want anyone paying for me.
You and MILLIONS of Americans. WAKE UP AMERICA.

Pretty soon people are going to have to drop the "gee why don't they skip that Starbucks coffee every day" rationale and realize there is a real health care crisis in our country.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:14 PM

478 posts, read 959,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
You and MILLIONS of Americans. WAKE UP AMERICA.

Pretty soon people are going to have to drop the "gee why don't they skip that Starbucks coffee every day" rationale and realize there is a real health care crisis in our country.
What? Me worry?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ef/AlfredENeumanMad30.JPG (broken link)

Old 01-25-2008, 07:23 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post

Some of those cracks become gaping chasms. A Harvard study found more than 50% of personal bankruptcies stem from healthcare costs, the majority of people filing with insurance.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:42 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Some of those cracks become gaping chasms. A Harvard study found more than 50% of personal bankruptcies stem from healthcare costs, the majority of people filing with insurance.
Those that DO file for bankruptcy only owed 30-60k in healthcare costs. 30-60k is NOT a lot considering your house is worth 5-10x more and yes BOTH are on payment plans. If you can't afford 30-60k but can afford a 300k house... something is WRONG...

Old 01-25-2008, 07:42 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
- Folks shouldn't go bankrupt to take care of serious health problems
- Businesses need to stay internationally competitive, and employee cost needs to be competitive to retain work in the US
- Folks shouldn't be allowed to burden others with cost due to their hypochondria

That is why I favor a national "catastrophic" health insurance plan, which would only kick in after a fairly high annual deductible is met, something on the order of $3,000 per individual and $5,000 per family (just pulled those out of the air, it is subject to critical analysis). If you want coverage below this high deductible, then you could purchase it through private insurance, with the markets setting the prices. Employers could offer this too, as part of their employment incentive packages.

Seems pretty simple to me.
I still haven't seen a counterproposal as to national catastrophic health insurance. It seems like the most sensible approach to solve the core healthcare problems, including avoiding medical bankruptcy.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Those that DO file for bankruptcy only owed 30-60k in healthcare costs. 30-60k is NOT a lot considering your house is worth 5-10x more and yes BOTH are on payment plans. If you can't afford 30-60k but can afford a 300k house... something is WRONG...
We had a $75000 dollar hospital bill. We had to sell our home to pay part and we are still paying. And my home was $200K, we got $30000 out of it and a $20000 break from the hospital, so we are still paying $25000 on a payment plan with interest, we should be paid of in oh 20 years!.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies