Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 11:37 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
It needs to be repealed and they try: Obamacare repeal vote fails in Senate - POLITICO So, those unhappy with it need to start electing people that get it repealed. You should ask your representatives if they are enrolled. Mine aren't. If it were so good, you wouldn't need a penalty and a law to get people to use it.

We have a chance to get this done if we put the right people in office. There is nothing fair about ObamaCareNot and the truth is that it is everything that people who opposed said it would be. Wasn't Obamacare Supposed to Save Money? | National Review Online
Your state representatives are not enrolled? What does this mean?

The ACA/ Obamacare is legislation, not insurance. Congress voted to exempt themselves and their aids from the ACA compliant and subsidized federal insurance program provided to all federal employees. Instead, they are free to buy ACA compliant insurance from their state's healthcare exchange and do so at a subsidized rate not available to the general public.

Not all members of Congress bought insurance from their respective exchange because they are married to people who have insurance from their employers. Ted Cruz was one of them. His family was insured by the ACA compliant large group healthcare plan maintained by Goldman Sachs. When Mrs Cruz took a leave of absence from her job, in connection with her husband's declaration of his primary candidacy, Ted was responsible and chose to insure his family via the healthcare exchange in Texas.

I cannot imagine a member of Congress is irresponsible enough to forgo healthcare insurance, unless they are very, very wealthy and able to pay out of pocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 12:44 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Working for me. Not on welfare.
Working for me except my premium has gone up by 200 dollars per month for a much higher deductible health insurance policy.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:48 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Bush campaigned on a promise of creating affordable healthcare insurance for low income earners. He never got around to it. Instead, healthcare premiums increased an average of 12.5% a year during his first term. Premiums increased by more than 100% between 2000-2010, before the ACA.

The ACA caps insurers' profits.
Health insurers watch profits soar as they dump small business customers | Center for Public Integrity

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/arti...NEWS/302039967

Old 10-18-2015, 12:50 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
Working for me. Not on welfare.

it does not work for me, I am not on welfare either. sooner or later the haves will be outnumbered by the havenots and the whole system will come crashing down around the feds ears.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:06 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
I love Obamacare! I have better coverage and it's costing me less.

Some of the problems (I've noticed) are coming from the states that balked at Obamacare. They need to get their act together and follow what some of the successful states have done.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:27 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
I have not personally benefitted from the ACA. I am covered via my husband's employer's large group plan.

His employer offers rewards to employees who participate in the voluntary Wellness Program and achieve defined goals. My husband lost weight and kept it off and walks tens of thousands of steps each day, every day. As a result, the rewards offset his share of the premium. His large group plan now covers an annual physical, certain tests for Cancer and the annual/ lifetime cap has been eliminated.

Because my husband is over 65 he could retire. Because of this I have tracked the cost of an individual plan compariable to our large group plan and have done so for years. If I had to buy an individual plan my costs to do so would be less for a better plan than what was offered pre ACA. Mileage varies across and within state.
If I lived 1/4 mile to the north, I would be in a different insurance region and the same plan would cost me more.

I am fortunate to live in a very competitive healthcare and insurance market.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:30 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,079,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I love Obamacare! I have better coverage and it's costing me less.

Some of the problems (I've noticed) are coming from the states that balked at Obamacare. They need to get their act together and follow what some of the successful states have done.
Oh, my! Then you are very willing to accept your coverage is actually being paid by for all those others who work and pay their own insurance premiums which include the part you are saving. I, personally, am not going to accept anything for myself that requires other people to pay for it. I take full responsibility for myself which now, thanks to Obama Care, includes not only all the illegals and welfare leeches I paid for before but also now your so-called savings.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:31 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,861,844 times
It sucks. It is expensive as hell.
If you want an affordable monthly premium then you have to take the high deductible and copays. I'm moving out of state within the next year and was intensively looking into it in case I don't secure a job with medical benefits when we move.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:18 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Let us call it "Public Option". I think Obama's failure was in republicanization of an otherwise much needed step in the right direction by dropping public option. But, to address your point, people hate accountability and liabilities. Given a choice, they won't carry auto insurance either, especially when one can just stop by ER to get treatment... the conservatives' idea of "fiscal conservatism".
Or perhaps they just don't like a dictator telling them what the "have" to do because he says so.

This tax s the liberal idea of freedom.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:30 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
It needs to be repealed and they try: Obamacare repeal vote fails in Senate - POLITICO So, those unhappy with it need to start electing people that get it repealed. You should ask your representatives if they are enrolled. Mine aren't. If it were so good, you wouldn't need a penalty and a law to get people to use it.
They are enrolled into a government sponsored program. You should ask for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Working for me except my premium has gone up by 200 dollars per month for a much higher deductible health insurance policy.
And assuming that you're not lying, they are surely making a fool of you for your refusal to shop around and put greater pressure on them by demanding public option instead. If you prefer corporations running your health care, you can expect that their interests are only with their pockets, not yours. Or, is that news to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Or perhaps they just don't like a dictator telling them what the "have" to do because he says so.

This tax s the liberal idea of freedom.
I happen to find plenty of idiots who have no clue about what a dictatorship is about. Hint: They don't go around getting more people covered in health care somehow. What many, however, tend to do is provide such benefits ONLY if they fight in their wars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies