Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 11:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I can't wait for the iPads to come to sit down restaurants.
I'm one that actually likes technology. I use kiosks and self checkouts wherever they are available.
I also use online to check availability of products at let's say Home Depot and then reserve something for me to pick up when I get there.

I'd use the self checkouts at my supermarket but they say they are limited to 20 items.
Walmart has self checkouts for unlimited items.
We have a pretty good restaurant called BJ's here that allows you to order and pay using your smartphone.

Many restaurants we have been to lately have tablets for the servers to input your order.

Get the BJ's Mobile App | BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse

Next Gen Dine: The Future of Restaurant Dining, Mobile Restaurant Point of Sale Software
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 01:50 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,737,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't want to select anything. I want to SAY "I want 6 pickles" and have them appear on my burger. I want THEM to fumble around with a machine. That's built into the price of my food.

If they want ME to type in my food order with pickle amount specificity, then they'd better be paying me in the form of a very steep discount.
If you or anyone is a fan of Horse Racing they have do it yourself betting terminals along side of tellers now. The line is faster at the machines then the tellers; mainly because the more experienced horse gamblers know how to use the machines. Regardless.

Maybe they need a combination for people like yourself who want the human interaction.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:10 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapruder View Post
I think we could all see this coming a mile away. So much for living wage!!! I wrote a letter to our newspaper about this very subject just about a week ago.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:12 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
If you or anyone is a fan of Horse Racing they have do it yourself betting terminals along side of tellers now. The line is faster at the machines then the tellers; mainly because the more experienced horse gamblers know how to use the machines. Regardless.

Maybe they need a combination for people like yourself who want the human interaction.
Perhaps they are betting that people like myself are going the way of the dinosaur. I get it. They're probably right.

But til my dying day, I will never order food from an automaton...stationary or mobile. It's where I'm drawing the line.

I respect that some people like it. That's cool. I had lunch with my wife at some chain about 3 weeks ago and I can't remember which one...they had a small machine on the table that my wife pointed out that we could use to augment the order. Chili's or some dopey chain. In any case, we still had a server regardless who surely expected to get tipped.

So tip AND use the machine? Lol...like hell.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
higher wages = good

Automation = good

I don't see the problem.
What do you mean, you don't see the problem? Do you have any idea how many people will be put out of work or have hours cut by this? And these are people that mostly have no skills. They depend on these jobs.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think we could all see this coming a mile away. So much for living wage!!! I wrote a letter to our newspaper about this very subject just about a week ago.
One would hope so. Europe has high wages. McDonalds installed the kiosks over there in 2011.
McDonald's is losing money and has to do something.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:22 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
One would hope so. Europe has high wages. McDonalds installed the kiosks over there in 2011.
McDonald's is losing money and has to do something.
How about making better food.

There's a novel concept.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:34 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
How about making better food.

There's a novel concept.

LOL! Indeed! McDonalds isn't exactly known for fine dining.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:44 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
The same people complaining about automation probably had relatives who complained about the switch from cross-country mules to trains delivering mail.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:58 PM

191 posts, read 213,665 times
I didn't read all the posts before me, but I think this is 100% predictable, and it is triggered 100% by increasing the minimum wage. They may have been heading this way, but they ramped up earlier than otherwise.

The order takers at a "typical" McDonalds don't generate enough profit to be paid $15.00 per hour; heck in many stores they probably don't make their current wages. If labor costs rise by fiat, all low wage shops must either raise prices (which may not raise profits, if people stop buying) absorb the extra costs (which is probably impossible in a low margin business like fast food), or drop employees, either by automation or by closing stores/reducing hours.

The people who are supposedly benefiting from the increase may well get hours cut or lose the jobs altogether, which leaves the question; is it better to make $8.00 per hour and have a job or lose that job and get nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies