Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 08:18 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,841,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Usually ones that don't deal with the public though.

Construction, janitorial services, landscaping, kitchen..all low paying manual jobs.
I work in contracting and I have worked with many businesses owned by immigrants that make a lot of money in all of those categories:

Construction - they set themselves up as a general contractor - makes decent money as a business
Janitorial - they set themselves up as a cleaning service - makes decent money as a business
Landscaping - same thing
Kitchen - they set up "authentic" restaurants or food trucks or catering companies makes decent money

Also, I worked in banking and we frequently hired bilingual people who spoke Spanish and Korean because we had a lot of customers who spoke those languages. I now work in housing (contracting services for housing communities) and we had people we contracted with who were independent contractors and provided translation services for our residents - mostly Spanish, Russian, Polish, German, and Korean.

As stated, they don't make the economy worse. And many immigrants have an entrepreneurial spirit and set up businesses and make good money. I have had Latino landscaping contractors who are just a few guys with some lawn mowers and they go out and cut grass on empty lots for us and on that one contract they make $100K per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 08:19 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,219,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Skills View Post
There has been lots of discussion about the reason our American economy is so weak. Though few people mention the ever increasing number of people who live in the USA who can't speak or write English. It is becoming impossible to communicate with people in public contact jobs. The man at the auto repair shop, the lady at the hair salon cutting my hair, the woman taking my order at McDonalds, the person who answers the phone at the customer service line, the bank teller, and even college instructors.

As a manager, I get tons of resumes from job applicants who are ESL. While I appreciate their desire to live the American dream, I can't understand half of what they are saying in their resume and cover letter, so they are not hired. How long is this person going to be collecting welfare while their applications for employment are rejected due to lack of English skills?

Yes, many of these people speak or understand some English but they were put in customer related jobs without knowing enough to function. They come cheap, but at the end they are hurting the business and the US Economy.

This thread is very similar to a string of threads posted by a famous past forum user.... Someone retired now who took applications in HR......

Old 07-31-2015, 08:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,570,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I work in contracting and I have worked with many businesses owned by immigrants that make a lot of money in all of those categories:

Construction - they set themselves up as a general contractor - makes decent money as a business
Janitorial - they set themselves up as a cleaning service - makes decent money as a business
Landscaping - same thing
Kitchen - they set up "authentic" restaurants or food trucks or catering companies makes decent money

Also, I worked in banking and we frequently hired bilingual people who spoke Spanish and Korean because we had a lot of customers who spoke those languages. I now work in housing (contracting services for housing communities) and we had people we contracted with who were independent contractors and provided translation services for our residents - mostly Spanish, Russian, Polish, German, and Korean.

As stated, they don't make the economy worse. And many immigrants have an entrepreneurial spirit and set up businesses and make good money. I have had Latino landscaping contractors who are just a few guys with some lawn mowers and they go out and cut grass on empty lots for us and on that one contract they make $100K per year.
And the owner, head guy or someone else speaks English.
I've contracted services. The person I spoke with speaks English. The crew shows up and at least one person speaks English.

We already know that immigrants make a lot of money by the reports of the tens of billions of dollars they send back home every year.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:59 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,802,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Usually ones that don't deal with the public though.

Construction, janitorial services, landscaping, kitchen..all low paying manual jobs.
Many of the same jobs historically taken by immigrants.

My non- English speaking in laws were janitors in commercial buildings as were most of their friends and relatives at the time.

OT- My husband's legal first name is his middle name. The names were transposed upon immigration when he was a young child. His parents were afraid to question anything related to immigration and immediately began to refer to him by the name assigned to him by U.S. Immigration.

It was and remains common for first generation immigrants to live their lives within their communities and never learn English. My SIL, now in her 60's, immigrated with her family at age 12. She is fluent in several European languages as were her parents. She continues to live in an isolated ethnic community and rarely speaks English. Her younger sister was the family's anchor baby that helped secure the family's citizenship, back when.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:10 AM

63,006 posts, read 29,216,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Landscaping - same thing

And that's just fine just as long as they and their workers are here legally. Many in the construction, landscaping and restaurant businesses are not though.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:13 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,577,538 times
Quote:
It is becoming impossible to communicate with people in public contact jobs. The man at the auto repair shop, the lady at the hair salon cutting my hair, the woman taking my order at McDonalds, the person who answers the phone at the customer service line, the bank teller, and even college instructors.
I don't have this issue. At. All.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:28 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,642 posts, read 81,351,757 times
Same here. In fact, the only people I have contact with that don't speak understandable English are scammers, telemarketers and other call center workers. I just hang up on them. While there are some accents to deal with, the many recent immigrants I run into (mostly from India, China, and Vietnam)
including co-workers in professional jobs speak good English and learned it before moving here. If anything they help the economy by paying taxes, buying goods and services, paying rent or buying homes. Those that don't speak English tend to be farm, hotel and restaurant workers doing low pay hard work that most natives wouldn't do.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:54 AM

40 posts, read 49,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I don't have this issue. At. All.
So you think it is fine that the person at the eating establishment that takes your order does not understand what you are saying and messes up your order? That is good for the business and the customer?

Old 07-31-2015, 11:26 AM

63,006 posts, read 29,216,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Same here. In fact, the only people I have contact with that don't speak understandable English are scammers, telemarketers and other call center workers. I just hang up on them. While there are some accents to deal with, the many recent immigrants I run into (mostly from India, China, and Vietnam)
including co-workers in professional jobs speak good English and learned it before moving here. If anything they help the economy by paying taxes, buying goods and services, paying rent or buying homes. Those that don't speak English tend to be farm, hotel and restaurant workers doing low pay hard work that most natives wouldn't do.
Other than farm work (but only for Americans who live in urban areas) those jobs have always been done by American until the arrival of cheap, illegal labor undercutting them.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:11 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,577,538 times
Quote:
So you think it is fine that the person at the eating establishment that takes your order does not understand what you are saying and messes up your order? That is good for the business and the customer?
You're not understanding. That's ironic. What I mean is, I don't have this issue you seem to have such a problem with with people in the service industry not speaking English. Do you live in Mexico maybe? You present it like 24/7 you have problems with the service industry. Really? All the time? I can count on one hand the times where I had communication issues with someone in the past year maybe. That's right, one hand. Surely you wouldn't be, oh I don't know, making this whole thing up, now would you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies