Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 08:52 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No. I said if PP is something many support, fund it via a private foundation. No one's face is being spited. Everyone gets what they want.
But they don't have enough private support and they provide a service at low cost and the impact of their work saves taxpayer funding of social services. If you want to close them down the result will be more unwanted births and my guess is that women will find another way to terminate a pregnancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 09:04 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I'm not sure why folks don't comprehend this. What does planned parenthood do? Well 5% of their funding provides abortions......but a FAR FAR larger amount provides birth control. So what happens if you lose that?

Abortions go up. A LOT.

So I don't get it, these attacks on planned parenthood seem to be a excellent way to cause more abortions to occur. Its not like planned parenthood is the only place to get an abortion. Or don't people think about the unintended consequences at all?
Why would planned parenthood close? They would have to operate on donations as a non profit. I'm sure there are enough pro abortion people out there to keep their doors open.

The issue isn't whether or not they should exist. It's a question of whether they are deserving of operating on tax dollars.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:22 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
But they don't have enough private support...
That should be telling you something, right there.

Liberals WON'T put their money where their mouths are.

Who's surprised by that?

Old 08-06-2015, 05:03 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,749,621 times
Abortion is Murder. All Doctors who perform Murder of an innocent baby will meet their maker, no matter what God they believe in or don't believe in any God.

Repent, or you will be an Angel in Heaven or an Angel in Hell. Choose your destiny.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:41 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The private donations cover abortions and some of the family planning , the government funding covers family planning services and general health issues, nothing else. Cut off your nose to spite your face?
No one with the ability to tie their own shoes buys this myth. At best, taxpayer funds allow them to spend more on butchering babies than they would have without it. This excuse is just really silly sophistry.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:01 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Planned Parenthood will need to decide at some point (probably sooner rather then later) between abortion and public funding. If they want to continue to receive public funds then they may have to either stop performing abortions all together or start a new business that's only service is to provide abortions and that is a completely separate business from the current Planned Parenthood non-profit which provides contraceptives, preventative care, etc. Or they can continue to operate the way they have and forgo public funds. That's what I see it coming down to.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:04 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Planned Parenthood will need to decide at some point (probably sooner rather then later) between abortion and public funding. If they want to continue to receive public funds then they may have to either stop performing abortions all together or start a new business that's only service is to provide abortions and that is a completely separate business from the current Planned Parenthood non-profit which provides contraceptives, preventative care, etc. Or they can continue to operate the way they have and forgo public funds. That's what I see it coming down to.
why would they have to stop doing abortions? it is legal.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
why would they have to stop doing abortions? it is legal.
Yes it is legal but the public funding aspect for an organization that performs abortion is problematic. I think the solutions I presented make sense and would allow them to continue to offer abortion services, just under a separate name, entity, business, etc. and still continue to receive public funds for their preventative care for their clinics.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:21 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Yes it is legal but the public funding aspect for an organization that performs abortion is problematic. I think the solutions I presented make sense and would allow them to continue to offer abortion services, just under a separate name, entity, business, etc. and still continue to receive public funds for their preventative care for their clinics.
it really is only problematic for people who don't like abortions. it was just up for a vote and funding was not revoked. no reason to change things just to make people who never approve of them anyway.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
it really is only problematic for people who don't like abortions. it was just up for a vote and funding was not revoked. no reason to change things just to make people who never approve of them anyway.
The recent news coming out about Planned Parenthood has made many people think more deeply about abortion and we've already heard talk about defunding them in the news. While I am pro-choice, I understand why some are concerned about public funds going to an organization that performs abortion. I do believe that at some point in the near future Planned Parenthood is going to need to make some hard decisions. The option I presented is one way they could do it which would allow them to keep their public funds and continue to provide abortion care. It seems reasonable to me. PP has already lost public funding in several states so I don't think it's far fetched to think it could happen in more places, especially after their latest scandal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies