Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 01:27 AM

15,534 posts, read 10,507,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
are you old enough to remember what it was like before roe v wade? desperate women do desperate things. they dies or were maimed by self inflicted coat hanger and back alley abortions. we need more clinics not less.
I live in a border state, so most just drove over the border. I remember that quite well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 05:12 AM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
I have provided a couple links below which are good for this debate in terms of the economic arguments for funding PP.

The tissue trade | The Economist

Why Defunding Planned Parenthood is Bad Economics | Roosevelt Institute
Okay, that's not what I asked for. Those are opinions. I want actual statistics, actual regions with statistics that show there are areas of the country where women do not have access to "these provisions".

Old 08-04-2015, 05:55 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I'm not sure why folks don't comprehend this. What does planned parenthood do? Well 5% of their funding provides abortions......but a FAR FAR larger amount provides birth control. So what happens if you lose that?

Abortions go up. A LOT.

So I don't get it, these attacks on planned parenthood seem to be a excellent way to cause more abortions to occur. Its not like planned parenthood is the only place to get an abortion. Or don't people think about the unintended consequences at all?
And you base this opinion on what?

Is Planned Parenthood the only place where women can get birth control? Who knew?

I'd be willing to bet that far more than 5% of PP funding goes to abortion services. especially when we know the number of abortions that are done annually, and PP is the largest provider. After all, it was Margaret Sanger, abortion advocate, who was the founder of PP.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:36 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why folks don't comprehend this. What does planned parenthood do? Well 5% of their funding provides abortions......but a FAR FAR larger amount provides birth control. So what happens if you lose that?

Abortions go up. A LOT.

So I don't get it, these attacks on planned parenthood seem to be a excellent way to cause more abortions to occur. Its not like planned parenthood is the only place to get an abortion. Or don't people think about the unintended consequences at all?

Clearly, most women seekig abortions didn't think about the unintended consequences of having sex.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:53 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,316,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Clearly, most women seekig abortions didn't think about the unintended consequences of having sex.
Before abortion was legal I lost a friend to a back alley abortion. Her dad took her there and her dad impregnated her. Why is it always the woman/girl who gets all the scorn when you talk about not thinking about the consequences of having sex?

Old 08-04-2015, 06:59 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Before abortion was legal I lost a friend to a back alley abortion. Her dad took her there and her dad impregnated her. Why is it always the woman/girl who gets all the scorn when you talk about not thinking about the consequences of having sex?
Blah, blah, blah, incest, blah, blah.

We get it.

Except for the very few EXTREME fundamentalists, your "what about the incest victims" line isn't credible anymore.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:08 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Gotta ask the obvious question. Why does PP need to provide "free" birth control? Doesn't Obamacare mandate full, no-charge BC?

Old 08-04-2015, 07:17 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,316,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Blah, blah, blah, incest, blah, blah.

We get it.

Except for the very few EXTREME fundamentalists, your "what about the incest victims" line isn't credible anymore.
Typical radial pro-lifer. Lots of sympathy for fetuses in the womb but none what so ever for children born into families that use and abuse them. No wonder so many of you see nothing wrong with glamorizing the TV show "19 Kids and Counting" and will do anything to defend Josh Duggar's incestuous behavior.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:56 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Gotta ask the obvious question. Why does PP need to provide "free" birth control? Doesn't Obamacare mandate full, no-charge BC?
PP doesn't supply free birth control as far as I know. Obamacare does require insurance, including Medicaid to cover both annual exams and birth control.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:58 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,656 times
Quote:
And? If Planned parenthood couldn't provide them? Would those abortions suddenly not happen? PP provides about half of them throughout the country. I assure you the number of abortions would probably stay the same or rise-being provided by our capitalistic society in a rather rapid fashion I suspect, and the number of children born to people who didn't want them would certainly rise, as would STD's.

So basically you are all for forcing women to undergo pregnancy like some third world country then? I mean look around, the vast majority of places where its illegal is in 3rd world countries.

Ireland is one of the few developed nations that bans it...lets check in on that:
Ireland's abortion law tortures women. It needs to be legal | Jessica Valenti | Comment is free | The Guardian

A pregnant, suicidal rape victim fought Ireland's new abortion law. The law won | Jessica Valenti | Comment is free | The Guardian

Hmmm...... Well doesn't that sound like a bunch of awesome.

For real fun the UN considers a ban on abortion a form of abuse and torture:
http://www.ohchr.org/Documents/HRBod...53_English.pdf

pages 10-11

Its not "leftist automation" to look at facts, and where the laws are different, why the vast majority of developed nations allow it, and say "Hmmm maybe banning it would end badly"
Yes indeed. Quotes from a Marxist rag like the Guardian tells everyone exactly what they need to know. I stand by my statement. You want to support butchering babies that's on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies