Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 08:46 AM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I'm not sure why folks don't comprehend this. What does planned parenthood do? Well 5% of their funding provides abortions......but a FAR FAR larger amount provides birth control. So what happens if you lose that?

Abortions go up. A LOT.

So I don't get it, these attacks on planned parenthood seem to be a excellent way to cause more abortions to occur. Its not like planned parenthood is the only place to get an abortion. Or don't people think about the unintended consequences at all?
"If we don't have an organization that sells murdered baby parts, we're going to have more murdered babies."

Every day I think I've seen liberals sink to their lowest, but every day, you all go lower. You are the party of excuses, NEVER the party of solutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 08:56 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Well the ACA plan was not to put everyone onto Medicaid, it was to get more paying customers, so I'm not sure why you continue to post the same old left wing babble "if only the Republicans would give everyone FREE care" crap..
I never did. You seem to be content on putting words in my mouth though .

Old 08-01-2015, 09:04 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
I never did. You seem to be content on putting words in my mouth though .
yeah you did.
Quote:
Except not everyone benefits from the ACA, and the people that tend to get it from PP are not covered because many Republican leaning states won't expand Medicaid. So try again please.
translation, if only Republicans would GIVE THEM FREE ****..

Old 08-01-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
But you arent saving money because the cost is passed onto through higher premiums..

Simply changing how its budgeted, doesnt make the price go down..
I would dare say that the majority of women who benefitted don't have that issue because they either didn't have insurance due to their age or were still on their parents plans. You are also assuming an across the board increase for premiums when there was not. Some got higher ones and some saw no increase at all. And also given the varying nature of cost it some plans premiums might still not eclipsed what the women having them were paying.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
yeah you did.

translation, if only Republicans would GIVE THEM FREE ****..
No, I didn't. I was simply pointing out the fallacy in the posters argument. That because the ACA is there the need for PP is gone. Some people didn't benefit from the ACA because they make too much medicaid and the subsidy in their state isn't enough to cover a plan. Plans in Oregon for example *were and might still be* like that. Where a couple would get the full $200 subsidy but the entry level plan was $400. But regardless the passage of the ACA does not diminish the need for PP. And it's not free ever. Taxes pay for it no matter what your income level is.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:16 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
I would dare say that the majority of women who benefitted don't have that issue because they either didn't have insurance due to their age or were still on their parents plans.
But you're just making things up and pretending they are true..
Quote:
You are also assuming an across the board increase for premiums when there was not. Some got higher ones and some saw no increase at all. And also given the varying nature of cost it some plans premiums might still not eclipsed what the women having them were paying.
If what you said above is true, then the didnt have insurance and thus there was no increase in cost available to them, so that cost must NOW be passed onto everyone who has insurance but now paying for their treatment, be it through higher taxes, to pay for Medicaid, or higher premiums.. You cant have it both ways, claiming they now have insurance where they didnt before, and then claim there isnt any increase in the cost of care for these newly insured individuals..

Old 08-01-2015, 10:10 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,839 times
This is a political issue, plain and simple. Defunding planned parenthood is terrible economics, although it makes for nice politics for the right wing loons. If planned parenthood were to close then abortions would go up. That's just one downside. 80% of what planned parenthood provide is not abortions either, but contraception, pap smears, cancer screenings etc. There are entire regions of this country where woman don't have access to the provision of these things but through planned parenthood. If they close then the government would have to take over and costs would be far more expensive.

Studies show that for every dollar spent on contraception at least 4 more are saved in the long run. This holds true for all countries. The videos are nice in terms of proppganda for the anti parenthood types, but sound economics is lost on them.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:15 AM

30,267 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
This is a political issue, plain and simple. Defunding planned parenthood is terrible economics, although it makes for nice politics for the right wing loons. If planned parenthood were to close then abortions would go up. That's just one downside. 80% of what planned parenthood provide is not abortions either, but contraception, pap smears, cancer screenings etc. There are entire regions of this country where woman don't have access to the provision of these things but through planned parenthood. If they close then the government would have to take over and costs would be far more expensive.

Studies show that for every dollar spent on contraception at least 4 more are saved in the long run. This holds true for all countries. The videos are nice in terms of proppganda for the anti parenthood types, but sound economics is lost on them.
In all seriousness, no partisan attacks, please provide those "entire regions in this country where women don't have access to the provision of these things".

Old 08-01-2015, 10:38 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,732,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
In all seriousness, no partisan attacks, please provide those "entire regions in this country where women don't have access to the provision of these things".
It's totally bunk, just like the mammogram argument. There are more than 9,000 community health centers and less than 700 Planned Parenthoods.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:51 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,121,435 times
Quote:
Obama claimed health care was a RIGHT, and RIGHTS, arent for select individuals, they are for EVERYONE..

How can you NOT know the position of the individuals you support?
I guess you take everything literally, assuming Obama even said that. Link, again, please?

Furthermore, there are a bunch of conservative Tea Party types that purposely take a penalty even though they can get a decent coverage on the Exchange, just as a matter of (misguided) principle. I have seen interviews of those people on Fox and other conservative media outlets. So those folks are uninsured, but out of their own making. How can we ever achieve 100% coverage then?

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies