Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 05:08 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,357,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
I did not keep up with the story that much, but was the hunt legal? Did he hire guides under the impression it was legal?

Personally I would never go hunting, especially for trophy, but what is the story. Is he being used as a scapegoat?
In a relatively poor nation with conflicting values and objectives, and very little discretionary income, there is always plenty of "wiggle room"; that's why the controversy has turned out the way it has.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:13 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,379,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
Cecil was 13 years old. He would have been eaten by hyenas within the next two years but don't let reality interfere with your nonsense.
BUT his 24 cub Pride is also given death sentence...It's no nonsense at all...IF you kill the Male of any Pride..The whole pride ( cubs are killed as well)..so fine..kill one male lion..( which is actually 25 in this case) and multiply that by the lion's killed documented..and multiply that number by the pride #.. Is there any excuse to say..I bought a lion kill..but in reality you killed 24 times that by your action....

The cubs had been protected by Jericho..as a sibling the scent must have led him to protect them..BUT now another Poacher kills Jericho...so once again those 24 cubs are on that chopping block... Lion's are an endangered species for a reason..Just like so many other animal breeds...Killing for food is one thing..BUT killing for Sport is disgusting...Trophy's pictures actually disgust me..be cause I have followed this for awhile..These hunters..don't hunt..They sit up in their perches..put out bait..and start shooting...Where was the hunt?/Thrill? SMH!!

Old 08-01-2015, 05:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
BUT his 24 cub Pride is also given death sentence...It's no nonsense at all...IF you kill the Male of any Pride..The whole pride ( cubs are killed as well)..so fine..kill one male lion..( which is actually 25 in this case) and multiply that by the lion's killed documented..and multiply that number by the pride #.. Is there any excuse to say..I bought a lion kill..but in reality you killed 24 times that by your action....

The cubs had been protected by Jericho..as a sibling the scent must have led him to protect them..BUT now another Poacher kills Jericho...so once again those 24 cubs are on that chopping block... Lion's are an endangered species for a reason..Just like so many other animal breeds...Killing for food is one thing..BUT killing for Sport is disgusting...Trophy's pictures actually disgust me..be cause I have followed this for awhile..These hunters..don't hunt..They sit up in their perches..put out bait..and start shooting...Where was the hunt?/Thrill? SMH!!
Because they are his cubs too.

2 lions, 6 lionesses and 24 cubs between the 2 males.
That is from National Geographic article who interviewed the researcher who has been tracking these lions for years.

Cecil and Jerico shared lionesses for litters.

Which one was the alpha ? Who knows. Usually the alpha has the most females in his harem.

That's how it was with my chickens. 2 roosters and the weaker one had 2 wives while my big boy George had the other 7.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:25 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,652,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
You don't comprehend that an adult lion would protect the cubs? Well okay then.
An adult .male lion was not protecting Cecils Cubs. When a new male takes over a pride, his first act, as king, is to kill all the cubs of the previous dominant male. ALL of them. He wasn't protecting any cubs. Succession is brutal, in a lion pride. Doesn't fit the narrative, but, its a fact.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:25 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,987,293 times
I don't support Palmer, hell I don't have any thoughts on this matter one way or the other. That being said I love all of the comments on here, in the media, and around the internet about "oh he was just hunting grandpa lions herp derp he is not brave, blah blah blah." Not that I think it is particularly brave to hunt a lion under the conditions Palmer did, but the vast majority who say stuff like that have never done anything remotely brave or courageous in their lives most likely. Keep in mind that a large portion of the population believes doing things like coming out as homosexual, or Bruce Jenner wearing a dress and pretending to be a woman is "courageous" and "brave."

What Palmer did certainly requires more testicular fortitude than what 99% of the soft suburbanites who have joined in on the internet lynch mob have ever done in their entire lives. So I don't really condone poaching but it is laughable that so many people in America act like they lead these incredible lives to where big game hunting in Africa gets a mere "yawn, he isn't manly or cool for doing this."

Old 08-01-2015, 05:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
An adult .male lion was not protecting Cecils Cubs. When a new male takes over a pride, his first act, as king, is to kill all the cubs of the previous dominant male. ALL of them. He wasn't protecting any cubs. Succession is brutal, in a lion pride. Doesn't fit the narrative, but, its a fact.
That does not fit in with their Disney perception of lions.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:34 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,234,323 times
Quote:
Thank you for inserting facts into this conversation. It is amazing the nonsense some people believe and the lengths they will go to in their desire to "humanize" animals.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:40 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,326,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
I don't support Palmer, hell I don't have any thoughts on this matter one way or the other. That being said I love all of the comments on here, in the media, and around the internet about "oh he was just hunting grandpa lions herp derp he is not brave, blah blah blah." Not that I think it is particularly brave to hunt a lion under the conditions Palmer did, but the vast majority who say stuff like that have never done anything remotely brave or courageous in their lives most likely. Keep in mind that a large portion of the population believes doing things like coming out as homosexual, or Bruce Jenner wearing a dress and pretending to be a woman is "courageous" and "brave."

What Palmer did certainly requires more testicular fortitude than what 99% of the soft suburbanites who have joined in on the internet lynch mob have ever done in their entire lives. So I don't really condone poaching but it is laughable that so many people in America act like they lead these incredible lives to where big game hunting in Africa gets a mere "yawn, he isn't manly or cool for doing this."
Ah, many of us are saying it isn't manly or cool to trophy hunt because we seriously believe it ISN'T manly or cool to kill a big game animal just to hang its head on a wall. Maybe you get off on reading about the "adventures" of big game hunters but others have a right to find it disgusting.

Old 08-01-2015, 05:54 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,856,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Don't take it as fact.

Here's National Geographic.

The 2 lions shared 6 lionesses and had 24 cubs between them.

Why Cecil the Lion Was So Popular With People
I've heard there's a report on Facebook that the brothers were seen nuzzling each other

Old 08-01-2015, 06:04 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,395,892 times
Quote:
It is.

I don't support what this dentist did, but I think most of this "outrage" is nothing more than trendy phoney baloney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies