Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 09:04 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,395,601 times

Advertisements

I remember reading an article a year or so ago claiming that heat is the greater evil in the quest to reduce one's environmental footprint. Maybe all those people living in the sunbelt are on to something. Given that heaters are typically powered with gas or oil, it makes sense. Additionally, the electricity for a/c is easier to replace with a green(er) energy source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 09:07 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,152,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Though I have always felt we should be relying more on thermal temperature rather than trying to cool or heat spaces with air.
Rely on thermal temperature? What does that even mean?

Old 08-03-2015, 09:08 PM

27,693 posts, read 16,186,489 times
I already took the lead. I dont use it. DC wouldnt give you their fingerprints let alone AC

Old 08-03-2015, 09:13 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,233,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Rely on thermal temperature? What does that even mean?
Ten Myths About Geothermal Heating and Cooling – The Great Energy Challenge Blog

This gives a good break down with what I am talking about.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:15 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,154,328 times
Our $2500 studio doesn't have AC, which sucks since it's triple digits half the year (up to 111 Fahrenheit), but I'm still surviving (though I got heatstroke twice since moving here).

We sleep outside most nights since it's usually 95 degrees inside all night long, even if we open the windows.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:10 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,129,321 times
There's a good chunk of the ~7 billion folks on this planet living in regions that require A/C that are simultaneously modernizing. That's a lot of energy being used; while we've gotten use to that type of energy use per capita, the developing world is steadily rising to our standard of living.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:52 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,945,071 times
The places that use ac the most also receive a lot of solar energy as well, in most cases. Hopefully solar installations keep dropping in price to help reduce the carbon output caused by ac use.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:45 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,440,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Ironically, air conditioning could be the thing fueling future global warming

Air conditioning runs on electricity, and electricity is still largely produced from the burning of coal. As such it is a major contributor to greenhouse emissions and global warming.

Washington DC is built on a swamp and would shut down in the sweltering summers if not for AC. Would it be a good idea for DC to take the initiative and eliminate AC, at least from federal buildings, in the cause of reducing global warming?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Not being an atmospheric scientists, I remain agnostic on the whole question of global warming
and not being a petroleum engineer, you don't believe in cars? Not being a medical doctor, you seriously doubt modern medicine?

its funny that global-bury-my-head-in-the-sand people find these quasi ways to excuse themselves NOT WANTING to believe in Climate change.

and to your post.

The drive is to move electricity to more renewable sources. Electricity can power cars, air conditioners, whatever. Your not going to take away AC - duh - so you fix the source.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:19 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,699,768 times
Perhaps a better approach and one based on freedom of choice is to have an energy allotment. How the individual uses that allotment is up to them. If the individual can manage to run their a/c within their allotment so be it.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:33 PM

52,692 posts, read 34,630,631 times
I do think most Americans have become gigantic wusses when it comes to tolerating heat discomfort. I live just outside DC and went for 7 years - until last year - with no A/C in my vehicle, and practically none in my house, only running it for maybe a week out of the year with it set to come on at 85F. with a couple of electric fans it's not intolerable.

then I think of people living in this area or in the deep south and how they had it in, say, the 1880s:
no A/C, no fans, nothing cold to drink; men dressed in long pants, long shirts, often wool suits even in the summer - women in long dresses and bloomers...

now that would have been rough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies