Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 08:06 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times

Advertisements

"show me your papers" is what we learned about Germany in the 1930s. Citizens were not free to move about the country. Now it's the same in the USA if you are within 200 miles of the border. Guilty until proven innocent is the border patrol mantra. Why are the citizens of the USA allowing our government to treat us as if we are guilty until we can prove we are innocent?
----------------
No drugs or would-be immigrants were hidden in the sedan that rolled up to a Border Patrol checkpoint on a Southern California highway last week, but within 90 seconds the driver was handcuffed.

His 4-year-old boy was crying. And a video camera mounted on the car's dashboard captured the moment. The motorist had said he was an American but told the agent he did not have to say where he was going, would not consent to a search of his trunk and would not move his car.

"You brought this on yourself, buddy," an agent says as he is led away.

Another traveler came through a similar checkpoint in El Paso this month, also with a video camera rolling.

He, too, challenged the agent, saying he would not answer questions. After a few seconds he was curtly told, "Get out of here."

Citizens defy Border Patrol by staying silent with video cameras - Houston Chronicle

Meanwhile, Obama wants to let millions of illegal aliens into our country. Why does Obama hate legal citizens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 08:17 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
It is bullsh-t but i think it really shows off people's ignorance when they compare it to Germany in the 1930s.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:27 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
Like most other things in this country, it's all ass-backwards. We need a constitutional convention to insert a punishment for government officials who violate the constitution.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
It is bullsh-t but i think it really shows off people's ignorance when they compare it to Germany in the 1930s.
It's not ignorant to recognize that people in the USA today cannot travel without proving the are citizens. Just like Nazi Germany.

We should NEVER have to prove we are citizens if we are breaking no laws.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:32 PM

7,360 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Why? Seems they had internal checkpoints and had to justify where they were going, and we have internal checkpoints and have to justify where we are going.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:44 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times
The trucker in the 2nd video is an asshat. His employer fired him for being a dick, holding up the delivery, and getting the truck damaged. The supervisor quoted the law and his authority. If you think it's wrong then comply and file a compliant later. I'ts the same advice rightwingers give to blacks - don't resist and follow a policeman's orders.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:47 PM

The issue is border patrol abuse of power. Not what people do about it.

I applaud anyone who resists this abuse of power.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:17 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,826 times
Im not sure how I feel about this

The dog alert for drugs was a good stop,,, secondary inspection was warranted.. it could have been handled WAY better... but I would have probably pulled the guy out when he wasnt compliant after an alert

The frequent flyer god guy I also had no problem with

The trucker... I dont know.. I dont think I like it internally far away from the border but there are known routes of trafficking and I might be ok with those getting checked as well with just cause...but absent probable cause of illegality it smells to me...I still think in my opinion its problematic... Id like to hear unemotional justification by BP with solid case law attached.. more than the cheat sheet the officer read. I think the trucker would have been better served by knowing exactly what the Supremes direction to BP questioning was and answer only those questions.. from my understanding BP has legal authority to ask limited questions without additional reasonable suspicion or PC...and it wasnt developed in this case. I would be interested if the ACLU represents him and if so what the outcome might be.. any way you look at it this guy was a veteran and the treatment was a failure by leo. The fact that he was NOT charged with any crime really smells to high heaven... I hope he finds whatever he needs to resolve this for himself

My stop would be different.. because I would be accessing state law.. ,motor vehicle law, licensing... and I would have developed a legal reason for the stop with a vehicle code violation.. and identification of the driver is a moot point.. drivers license please...

In all these cases the citizens... rightly or not...went looking for an issue and found it...

We used to have an activist attorney drive around our area with a video camera trying to get us to stop him and then attempt the same thing.. not speak etc... the difference is state law allows much more latitude during investigations... after getting arrested repeatedly for various minor crimes he finally stopped... judges got tired of seeing him... I think he did a lot of community service

Old 03-31-2015, 10:33 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,332 times
You can have reasonable policing. Or you can have drug/immigration laws enforced. But you can't have both.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:03 AM

62,973 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
It's not ignorant to recognize that people in the USA today cannot travel without proving the are citizens. Just like Nazi Germany.

We should NEVER have to prove we are citizens if we are breaking no laws.
How does LE know if you are a citizen or not unless they ask for ID? Do you also think it is Nazism to have to prove you are 21 to drink or to board a plane or open a bank account? Come on get real here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies