Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 11:10 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Easier to stop smoking if you have money??? Explain?
It is hard to quit cold turkey rather than with the patch, pill or gum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 04:45 AM

422 posts, read 574,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
For gods sake, can we be done with the constant "if you're poor or on welfare, you shouldn't be doing or buying A B or C" already? It's beyond tiresome.
That wasn't my intention at all. I'm not some rich guy on his high horse here. It just seems to me every time I see someone smoking, more times than not they seem to be down on their luck. If smoking is the one bright spot in their life I am not trying to take it away. When you're choosing between food and smoking, that's a slippery slope. I do believe it's hard to quit. My dad told me stopping smoking was the hardest thing he ever did in his life and he was a strong person. I just pity people who are poor and are slaves to smoking. More people than not would love to quit but can't do it either mentally or physically.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:43 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
So what? Who cares if they smoke? Who cares????? And no, you're not able to buy cigarettes with the card.
That's what you think. Stores ring up liquor and cigarettes as "food" so people can use their EBT cards to buy them.

Listen to (or read the transcript excerpted below) the following interview:
Quote:
“They have a life program so you can get benefits on your phone and your electricity. So, you actually benefit from not working if you have a lot of children,” Jackson told KEEL Morning News. “If you are a single person, it doesn’t really benefit you much because if you have children, you get Section 8 free housing, free medical, free cash, free food.”

And not just your run of the mill produce and bare necessities food.

“You can go to KFC, you can go to Pizza Hut, if you are on the hot food program,” Jackson explained. “You can go to your local liquor store and the person behind the counter can ring up for chips and candy, but they are actually selling you liquor.”

Jackson said in a YouTube video that what often happens is recipients have a friend be their “daycare” to receive those subsidies.

And while many would have no problem living on the government’s dime, the R&B artist and poet has serious concerns about those dependent on the system.

“The system is not free. I am enslaved to the system,” Jackson told 710 KEEL. “If the benefits are cut off, what are we going to do?”

Chapter Jackson tells listeners what they should do rather than have kids and live off Uncle Sam.
“It’s not really helping you. You make so much more happen if you elevate and say ‘I want more for myself because I deserve more for myself,’” Jackson advised.

The musician says the music video is satire, but is meant to address societal issues."
California Rapper Chapter Jackson Talks Welfare Abuse

The video of which she speaks:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=luo40WjBKWI

Old 08-11-2015, 07:07 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
I have always heard using cocaine is a sign that you have too much money. So I suppose the use of tobacco is a sign you don't have enough.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:45 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybarnaby View Post
That wasn't my intention at all. I'm not some rich guy on his high horse here. It just seems to me every time I see someone smoking, more times than not they seem to be down on their luck. If smoking is the one bright spot in their life I am not trying to take it away. When you're choosing between food and smoking, that's a slippery slope. I do believe it's hard to quit. My dad told me stopping smoking was the hardest thing he ever did in his life and he was a strong person. I just pity people who are poor and are slaves to smoking. More people than not would love to quit but can't do it either mentally or physically.
Actually, that was your intention as evident in this post. Nice try.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:06 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The MAJORITY of lower-income people aren't smokers, but a higher percentage of lower-income people smoke than of higher-income people.

CDC - Fact Sheet - Current Cigarette Smoking Among Adults in the United States - Smoking & Tobacco Use
Thanks for the link. The correlation between education and income and also to region and states is really stunning, and it all points to smoking really being a cultural thing that's far more prevalent among people with lower income and/or less education, which often go together, and also prevalent in some parts of the South, particularly in states with lower median incomes and lower general educational levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No, it is not. Lots of people smoke and are not addicted.
Smoking is absolutely an addiction. Nicotine is addictive. For many years tobacco companies put substances into cigarettes that made nicotine even more addictive. That there are some people who are resistant to the properties of nicotine does not make tobacco in general non-addictive. Some people don't react to poison ivy, either.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:31 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Easier to stop smoking if you have money??? Explain?
As one person pointed out being able to afford the treatments that help you stop, but additionally theres peer pressure. when everyone around you smokes it is far harder to stop. And with wealthier people having a smaller smoking population your friends are less likely to be smoking.

Its a reinforcing behavior.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:45 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Why do you assume they are a slave to cigs?

Is somebody who buys a case of coke a slave to coke?
Quote:
Not true at all. There is no connection between feel good and addiction.
Quote:
No, it is not. Lots of people smoke and are not addicted.
road, you really need to get educated about cigarette addiction.

slave to cigs? yes, everyone who smokes on a daily basis is addicted to some degree.

yes, cigs do make you feel good, they are used to relax with, they are used to help you get through hard times, a boring time. you have car cigs, telephone cigs, one before bed time cigs, with coffee cigs, after meals cigs. the wake up cig. yes, cigs make you feel good.

coca cola, yes you can have a sugar addiction. not all people unlike cigs are addicted to coke. if there is someone who smokes and not addicted, they would be in the tiniest of minorities.

I would challenge anyone that thinks they are not addicted to cigs that has been smoking everyday for years, to go without for 2 weeks. then they can figure out if they are "addicted" or not.

once you really get educated about nicotine addiction you will understand that most people who smoke are addicted. again, ask them to go without for two weeks. they won't even try, why? because they are addicted, the junkie mindset makes them fearful of the detox and emotional rollercoaster they imagine they will face, so they resist even trying to stop.

you must be a smoker road. quitting as they say is harder than getting off heroin. quitting is easier for some depending on your personality and mind set. I do have experience with it, I was a smoker for almost 25 years, the last ten or so was 2 packs a day. I have nothing but sympathy for smokers. rich or poor we are all hooked, the mindset is as difficult to get over as the nicotine. the junkie mind always lies to you to get what it wants.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:48 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
My mom quit smoking shortly before being diagnosed with terminal cancer. Most likely from the smoking. It was her final attempt at it, and she appeared to have succeeded......just a little too late.

It was so hard quitting, and getting over it that even when she learned she was terminal she did not resume smoking. She viewed it as a major personal accomplishment.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:54 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
I have lived around lower-income people most of my adult life.

I would estimate that the smoking-rate for these people I live/lived around...is greater than 80%.

I lived in a rooming-house in San Diego, about 100 units.......I think I was one of the very few who did not smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies