Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 07:30 AM

26,589 posts, read 15,157,406 times

Advertisements

Per a study from the University of Illinois, University of Luxembourg, and the Free University of Berlin the best predictors of future success of high incomes in kids are:

#1 IQ
#2 Parental Socio-Economic Status
#3 Educational Attainment
#4 Disobedient as a Child

This means that the 4th best predictor of future high income and the best non-Cognitive factor is being an unruly child.

Take heart parents of the world!

Perhaps unruly kids are more likely to be aggressive as adults, ask for raises, bend the rules, which enable them to get higher incomes?

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/diso...180564942.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 07:36 AM

24,591 posts, read 17,335,653 times
Or they could end up being entitled brats.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:36 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,444,829 times
IQ, huh?

Too bad the the first 3 (ahem, 1st one) makes number 4 a complete and utter non-factor.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:01 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,740,882 times
Then my kids are doomed. They are all well behaved and polite. A teacher recently asked me how we've managed to raise 3 kids who were all so pleasant and polite, which I took as a huge compliment.
Luckily they are doing well on #1-3.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:09 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,386,303 times
Well that really depends on many factors including race, gender, religion, culture, creed, and nation. Then there are factors of influences like the state vs the parents.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:10 AM

26,589 posts, read 15,157,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Then my kids are doomed. They are all well behaved and polite. A teacher recently asked me how we've managed to raise 3 kids who were all so pleasant and polite, which I took as a huge compliment.
Luckily they are doing well on #1-3.
I am sure they will be fine!

Anyways, the middle class tends to show the more happiness than the rich or poor.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:31 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,362,343 times
The problem is that "obedience" is seen as a virtue, but it's just letting someone tell you what to do. Being raised to obey orders isn't teaching you to think for yourself, look outside the box and be creative, and other things that can lead to success.

I was actually a very obedient child, and my parents and teachers obviously liked that, but when I became an adult everyone started wondering why I wasn't more outgoing, independent, and assertive. I was always afraid of doing something wrong without someone else's permission, so I would just prefer not to take any risks. I only realized this when someone pushed me out of my comfort zone and helped me stop looking to others for permission to do what I wanted to do.

I think the best situation is to teach and guide kids, but not impose your will on them. It can be easy for you if they just submit to your orders, but it'll be more beneficial to them if they're allowed to question you and make their own choices (with your guidance of course). Not to mention, your relationship with them won't be based on force...so there's the moral side of it as well.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:34 PM

16,766 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Check out the description of TR in "The Bully Pulpit" by Goodwin. In today's education system they would have said he was ADHD and medicated him till he just sat in the room.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:16 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,730,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Per a study from the University of Illinois, University of Luxembourg, and the Free University of Berlin the best predictors of future success of high incomes in kids are:

#1 IQ
#2 Parental Socio-Economic Status
#3 Educational Attainment
#4 Disobedient as a Child

This means that the 4th best predictor of future high income and the best non-Cognitive factor is being an unruly child.

Take heart parents of the world!

Perhaps unruly kids are more likely to be aggressive as adults, ask for raises, bend the rules, which enable them to get higher incomes?

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/diso...180564942.html
I not sure 1 and 2 are ordered properly. It has been proven that good nutrition plays a significant role in IQ levels.....so if one has a poor socioeconomic status (abject poverty) that will lower their IQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies