Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 03:35 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistas View Post
I used to buy them food and feel like I'm some kind of a hero. Of course, I'm not stupid and I knew that money is fungible. If others give them cash (and they do) then they don't have to spend cash on food and have more cash to buy drugs (and make no mistake alcohol is also a drug). So they're not directly buying drugs with my cash... but indirectly they are.

So I'm thinking to stop and save my money or find more worthy causes to donate to.

What do you guys think?
There is no more worthy cause to give to than that of the homeless. Many of them are veterans whose country screwed them over when they got back from war. Not all of them drink or take drugs, either. Do your research before lambasting the homeless. Most of us are all but a few steps away from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 03:35 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,033 times
I know people who drive around with a case of water and hand them out to panhandlers.

IMO, it's really not up to me to judge. Some may be scammers, but some aren't. It's really a personal choice.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:38 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
I often buy a sandwich and coke for an obviously homeless guy outside of the local corner store. Every time they take the grub. I feed homeless cats, too. Same kind of creatures in my mind.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:39 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,325,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Few of the panhandlers I've seen are druggies or winos.
Hey I resemble that!

As for panhandlers it all depends upon the circumstances.

I was for all intents and purposes a homeless kid my last year of high school (still went to class and graduated) so I've seen both sides of the equation. Like I said, it all depends on the circumstances.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:40 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I have often bought a sandwich and coke for an obviously homeless guy outside of the local corner store. Every time they took the grub gratefully.
Think if you gave any bloke some coke they would be grateful

Nah seriously FairPlay to you

Old 08-17-2015, 03:47 PM

188 posts, read 193,087 times
Could just donate that cash to a charity.

I don't know if there are any good ones.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:57 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I'll sometimes buy food but never give money.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:01 PM

399 posts, read 547,959 times
Yeah guys, I think I'm done. I have a good heart but I refuse to be a dummy and finance their recreational drug use directly or indirectly. And like many here have pointed out almost everywhere there are plenty of social services for them including those that absolutely ensure they won't die from hunger. I wish I thought about this rationally earlier.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:03 PM

399 posts, read 547,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'll sometimes buy food but never give money.
That was my MO too. But now I realize it's practically the same as giving them money because they have to spend less money on food and will have more money to spend on drugs!

Old 08-17-2015, 04:19 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistas View Post
I used to buy them food and feel like I'm some kind of a hero. Of course, I'm not stupid and I knew that money is fungible. If others give them cash (and they do) then they don't have to spend cash on food and have more cash to buy drugs (and make no mistake alcohol is also a drug). So they're not directly buying drugs with my cash... but indirectly they are.

So I'm thinking to stop and save my money or find more worthy causes to donate to.

What do you guys think?
Just consider it contributing to a momentary escape from their misery (if they buy booze indirectly with it). Obviously someone reduced to begging isn't having a great life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies