Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 06:18 PM

11,239 posts, read 8,332,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I believe in homeless shelters and food kitchens. I believe they should have to say a prayer in thanks before they eat and maybe listen to just a little of the word of God if they want to have something to eat. Nourishment for their soul as well. I've seen the transformation in people, it's really one of the coolest things you'll ever see in life. They may not turn into some material success story, but they often stop drinking and start helping others.

It was always a requirement in my house growing up to volunteer at the church functions, homeless shelters ect. We delivered produce from our farm to a few of them. I hated it when I was a teenager, now I get it.

It has to be people helping people out of kindness or it means nothing. Big government handing out welfare and foodstamps is borderline evil IMO. It corrupts people.
What religion are you? I don't know, religion is fine with me, but forcing it on someone and holding food as leverage seems pretty extremist. If you are located here in America, most people probably would have a problem with you pushing some kind of cult religion on suseptable homeless.

Kinda being sarcastic, kinda not.

I don't give to panhandlers. I'll help a person with a specific need, and might buy from, or put to work someone who is trying to do ANYTHING other than beg. OP, I don't think it's wrong (at all!) to buy food. I understand the "give them money and don't worry about what they do with it" mentality, and respect it, but it's not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 06:23 PM

50,484 posts, read 47,254,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistas View Post
You know what say what you want about Mexican illegals but I've NEVER seen one of them do this crap. I'm against illegal immigration but what's true is true. I've never seen an Asian person do this either and I've lived in SF which is Asian majority now. The only people I've seen do this are white and black. And I'm white BTW.
An illegal would be an idiot to do this because the cops roll them often.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:20 PM

587 posts, read 380,472 times
Are you guys mixing illegals, Asian and Hispanics? I doubt you can see the birthday certificate of a beggar.

The reason you don't see many Hispanics or Asians begging is these people tend to have bigger networks so usually their families take care of them even if they are drug addicts or mentally ill. It's their culture.

I would buy homeless people food if I knew their situation well and was sure they needed the food. I wouldn't but food for some random panhandlers.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
That's really cool. My mom once told me ( they live in Sweden ) some older guy had a sign saying something like " please, I need money for a beer".
I mean, at least he was honest.
Lol I saw one like that several times here in the U.S. he was a white man in a poor black neighborhood. People would give him thumbs up, it seems they liked his honesty but I never saw anybody giving him any money.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vistas View Post

I've come pretty much a 360 on how I felt about these people. I felt compassion. I thought they were actually hungry. Now I feel disgusted by their scamming. Many of them make much more per day running their scams then people who WORK! Sure they spend it all on drugs/alcohol - that's their problem and treatment options are there. But they are SCAMMING people to finance their habit. I was so naive. Now I feel like telling them how I feel but of course I don't want to get violent with them. I can probably barely hide the disgust on my face anyway.
180 not 360. 360 takes you to the same point you where you started.

Not all panhandlers are scammers, but some are. I don't think many of them make that much money. It's mostly mental issues and drug habits. Regular homeless tend to live in cars or cheap motels.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:12 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,454,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
IMO, it's really not up to me to judge. Some may be scammers, but some aren't. It's really a personal choice.
Agree, not for me to judge. I give what I can.
Even if they are a fraud, the sin is theirs, not mine.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:19 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,843,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Agree, not for me to judge. I give what I can.
Even if they are a fraud, the sin is theirs, not mine.
Do you feel the same way when someone cons a senior out of thousands of dollars?

Old 08-30-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I hand out job applications.
Tutt-Tutt-Tutt.

What an awesome man you are. Why didn't I think of that before?

Old 08-30-2015, 08:26 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,247,576 times
Yes, of course I give homeless food. No stings attached. No questions asked. They are hungry. What else would I give a hungry person to fill their belly? A balloon?

Old 08-30-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Do you feel the same way when someone cons a senior out of thousands of dollars?
More details, please.
Who's that "someone"?

Not sure what you're getting at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies