Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 02:46 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,374,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I believe in homeless shelters and food kitchens. I believe they should have to say a prayer in thanks before they eat and maybe listen to just a little of the word of God if they want to have something to eat. Nourishment for their soul as well. I've seen the transformation in people, it's really one of the coolest things you'll ever see in life. They may not turn into some material success story, but they often stop drinking and start helping others.

It was always a requirement in my house growing up to volunteer at the church functions, homeless shelters ect. We delivered produce from our farm to a few of them. I hated it when I was a teenager, now I get it.

It has to be people helping people out of kindness or it means nothing. Big government handing out welfare and foodstamps is borderline evil IMO. It corrupts people.
We've always volunteered our time, money and food also. I would never say to someone that they should say a prayer of thanks and listen to the "word" of God if they want to have something to eat. If they perform a trick, will they get a fork to eat with, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 03:44 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Should you feed the animals? The more you feed the animals, the more they are dependent on you, humans. This why you often see a sign saying "Do not fee animals."

Same would happen with the homeless. The more you feed them, food or cash, the more you encourage their lifestyle and become an enabler for their homelessness.

It is too bad you see things like this. You probably also think that if you don't feec a homeless person it is okay if they die of starvation on the street. That is what happened during the depression and what has happened throughout history. You and some others here need to read books about the homeless. You can start with "Down and Out in America," but I don't expect that people here that demonize the homeless care enough to understand it, they prefer judging. Other books" The Homeless" and "Nickle and Dimed."

Old 09-04-2016, 04:00 AM

8,235 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I find it offensive that you are grouping the mentally ill in with grifters.

Nobody wakes up one day and decides they would really like to have schizophrenia, depression, or PTSD.

They closed all the asylums. Now we house our mentally ill on the street. I'd need a fricken beer if I had to live on the street, too. You sound like a typical " I got mine " kind of callous person.
PTSD is a psychological injury from a trauma, not an illness. Some people can develop PTSD just from the trauma of being homeless and how people target them. Having people constantly spit on you, yell obscenities at you, committing crimes against you is pretty hard to live with when it happens on a regular basis. Then the cops randomly harass and beat you. Just relieving yourself in an alley is enough to land you as a sex offender in some states.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I believe in homeless shelters and food kitchens. I believe they should have to say a prayer in thanks before they eat and maybe listen to just a little of the word of God if they want to have something to eat. Nourishment for their soul as well. I've seen the transformation in people, it's really one of the coolest things you'll ever see in life. They may not turn into some material success story, but they often stop drinking and start helping others.

It was always a requirement in my house growing up to volunteer at the church functions, homeless shelters ect. We delivered produce from our farm to a few of them. I hated it when I was a teenager, now I get it.

It has to be people helping people out of kindness or it means nothing. Big government handing out welfare and foodstamps is borderline evil IMO. It corrupts people.
It is nice that you give to the poor but saying a prayer and giving a sermon is really condescending. When you do this you are assuming that because they are homeless they are not saved. It is also bribery when you make people listen to you first. Still I admire that you are helping the poor.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:01 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I just yell "get a job!"
I use to think that to myself when I would see them on a street corner at a red light. "Get a job, I have one".

Then a day came that I didn't have a job. Couldn't find a company that would hire me. 3 years later and savings shot ... I thought back to all those times and went, yes karma is a b ----

So careful with that ... never know those shoes, until they're worn.

Old 09-04-2016, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The recipient can still opt out. There is no force involved at all. Many missions are religious in nature, and none kidnap people into their shelters or soup kitchens.
And what hungry person would opt out? I work for a homeless shelter, give to the food pantry, and to a church that feeds the poor. The homeless shelter is the only place that wanted to pray and preach to the homeless. My friend and I walked out. They had board meetings and we won. No more prayers and preaching. So we came back. Why should they or even I be subjected to prayers and sermons?

Old 09-04-2016, 08:36 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
If they open an awesome food cart, why not?

Old 09-04-2016, 08:55 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
I went to Wendy's one time to get some burgers to go to take home. They gave me an extra fry, so I offered to give it to the homeless guy outside. He said "no thanks, I don't like Wendy's fries". If someone were truly hungry and desperate, they would have eaten the fries.

If I want to feel good about myself, I'll done cans to the food bank, or donate money to the Salvation Army. I wish all people would stop giving anything to panhandlers. They'll leave that area if they are not benefiting from the situation.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:29 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
It is nice that you give to the poor but saying a prayer and giving a sermon is really condescending. When you do this you are assuming that because they are homeless they are not saved. It is also bribery when you make people listen to you first. Still I admire that you are helping the poor.

No, you are not assuming the person is not saved. people pray for the saved all the time. I suggest if someone is giving something to you listening to what they have to say is a small price to pay.

I would also suggest many of the homeless need a change of attitude whether it be through religion or just plain capitalist ideology. They need to change their lives, not just eat.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:57 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
See same guys at different store fronts and noticed a van where they all go back to at the end of their "shift".
I have seen that in Orlando and some even use kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies