Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2015, 04:54 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
American Nativism isn't a new idea. The same societal segment had issues with German immigrants in the 1820's thru the 1860's, Irish immigrants in the 1840's thru the 1880's, Asian immigrants in the entire 19th and 20th centuries, Southern and Eastern European immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Hispanic immigrants in the 20th and 21st centuries, etc.

It looks to me that's what's going on again. And I believe that Donald Trump is tapping into American Nativism for his support. Please, somebody - tell me that I'm wrong.
Yeah, us nativists want people to come here legally, and only after we have approved of it.

Exactly the way nativists in other countries feel.

But I guess only white Anglos are "racist."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 04:54 AM

922 posts, read 807,012 times
Quote:
American Nativism isn't a new idea. The same societal segment had issues with German immigrants in the 1820's thru the 1860's, Irish immigrants in the 1840's thru the 1880's, Asian immigrants in the entire 19th and 20th centuries, Southern and Eastern European immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Hispanic immigrants in the 20th and 21st centuries, etc.

It looks to me that's what's going on again. And I believe that Donald Trump is tapping into American Nativism for his support. Please, somebody - tell me that I'm wrong.

Humans are hard-wired to be prejudiced.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:56 AM

Quote:
We could always decriminalize and regulate immigration. That's what happened when Prohibition failed.
How do you regulate immigration if you put no limits on it?

How many "immigrants" would be too many for you?

100 million?

500 million?

1 billion?

5 billion?

And, if you give me a number (which I very much doubt you will), how would you make sure that no more came?

Old 08-23-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Wow, a double honor!

OG not only called me a name, he put me on his 'ignore' list.

This is the sound of OG's mind slamming shut.
No, it's the sound of you being a race-baiting troll.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I have a better idea: We leave things as is (that means no to splitting up families just to appease the psychopathic right-wing fringe) and we give illegal immigrants a path to citizenship? If the fringe doesn't like it, they can pound sound.
Your hero Obama promised he would pass a "path to citizenship" in this first year in office.

He had a Democrat controlled House and Senate for the first two years of his presidency.

And it didn't happen. Jorge Ramos is still angry about it.

President Bush wanted "a path to citizenship."

He was all set to get it, then the Democrats killed it because unions didn't want a guest worker program.

But keep pounding that sand.

It's fun watching you do it.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
also add when we were stealing California, Arizona, Nevada and Utah, New Mexico and all of Colorado west of the Continental Divide. All in all the United States helped its self to over a third of the nation called Mexico. To be fair we didn't steal a small strip of land south of the Gila River in Arizona (Gadsen Purdhase) bought to have the future right of way for the Southern Pacific RR.
We didn't steal anything.

We won it in a war.

But Mexico is perfectly free to try and take it back from us with its huge army, air force, nuclear arsenal, etc.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:23 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I have a better idea: We leave things as is (that means no to splitting up families just to appease the psychopathic right-wing fringe) and we give illegal immigrants a path to citizenship? If the fringe doesn't like it, they can pound sound.

You don't have to split up any families as a scare tactic not to do something about the invasion...

Go after the incentive, and they will all self deport and take their hoodlum kids with them.

Employer sanctions that were part of the 1986 fiasco, were never enforced and it was said over and over before its passage, that it would never work without strict and punishing employer sanctions.

No jail time. Just seizure of all business and personal assets. That would do the trick.
No illegal alien/tourist would have a job or making a living here. I bet employers would do their due diligence to ensure their employees were Americans, or legal green card holders.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:23 AM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Yeah, us nativists want people to come here legally, and only after we have approved of it.

Exactly the way nativists in other countries feel.

But I guess only white Anglos are "racist."
Not only that but comparing the legal immigration of the Germans, Irish, etc. to Hispanic illegal immigration today is ludicrous not to mention downright dishonest.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
People will only have anchor babies when they think their child will have a future in the USA. It is all about giving their children the best opportunities. I don't think having the parent in the country really matters.
No one has the right to better opportunities for their kids or themselves by breaking laws and harming others. They take jobs, benefits and resources from Americans. They have no right to do that. It's selfish and shows they have no respect for laws. Yes, it does matter that the parents are in this country because they don't have any right to be here either.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
We didn't steal anything.

We won it in a war.

But Mexico is perfectly free to try and take it back from us with its huge army, air force, nuclear arsenal, etc.
Not only that but we paid Mexico $15 million and forgave them many debts to acquire those lands. Why isn't the Mexican government trying to take it back then? No, it is only a bunch of whiney peasants doing it the cowards way by taking over with babies and via illegal immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies