Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 10:10 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,901,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
This is a second time I am thinking about them:
I like the way their name sounds. Any one know anything they care to share ?

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, no idea where to ask this question.

You know what sounds really cool?

I was a bricklayer for 5 years and got paid well for it. To hell with free masonry, that is hard work.
There are more masonic halls, lodges and temples in the DC area than you can shake a stick at. I've driven by too many and don't want to visit. The George Mason temple reminds me of the LDS temple on the other side of the beltway. The Grand Lodge is on 16th street.

I have my uncle's masonic ring and rulebook from back in the 40s. Big whoop. My neighbor, a 500 level mason, told me I shouldn't have them and I should entrust them to him. His wife belonged to the woman version and his son belonged to the kid version. The guy told me they aren't a secret society but rather, a society with secrets.

It is basically a cult without L. Ron Hubbard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 10:21 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,962,148 times
People would do better to keep quiet about things they have no idea about. The ignorance displayed by a few here about the Mason's is truly amazing. Some need to educate themselves because they look awfully foolish to those in the know.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:51 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,872,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
You know what sounds really cool?

I was a bricklayer for 5 years and got paid well for it. To hell with free masonry, that is hard work.
There are more masonic halls, lodges and temples in the DC area than you can shake a stick at. I've driven by too many and don't want to visit. The George Mason temple reminds me of the LDS temple on the other side of the beltway. The Grand Lodge is on 16th street.

I have my uncle's masonic ring and rulebook from back in the 40s. Big whoop. My neighbor, a 500 level mason, told me I shouldn't have them and I should entrust them to him. His wife belonged to the woman version and his son belonged to the kid version. The guy told me they aren't a secret society but rather, a society with secrets.

It is basically a cult without L. Ron Hubbard.
there is no such thing as a 500 level mason, there are only a total of 36 degrees of masonry, depending on which branch of freemasonry you choose.

and freemasonry is not a cult, they dont accept anyone and everyone that wants to join. they are however a charitable organization, much like the shriners, the lions club, and others. they have their initiation rituals, which they like to keep secret, they have closed door meetings, which is the allowance of a private club, they do limit themselves to male members, however there is what is essentially a freemason society for women, it called "the order of the eastern star".

the freemasons do require that their people believe in a greater power than themselves, they call that power the great architect, however that does not necessarily mean god, just a greater power. there is one masonic degree though that does requires that its members be christian and that is the knights templar.

and your neighbor is right, the freemasons are a society with secrets, and not a secret society, since they in fact do operate in the open behind closed doors.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:41 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,841,246 times
Plenty of bad info in this thread. The Masons are not a cult. They raise lots of money for their charities and are usually upstanding members of their communities. Yes, Masons have secrets. They're not really secrest anymore with them all being out there on the internet. As mentioned earlier, you'll never be asked to join. It's against the rules to recruit members. Surely many of you have seen "2B1ASK1". It's that simple. Ask for a petition and you'll get one. You'll need a Mason to sign for you, vouch for your character. You'll be investigated. You'll meet an investigative committee. If all goes well, you'll go through the degree work.

There are no sinister plots or evil acts. That's all conspiracy theory junk that's been spread by people who don't know what they are talking about. There are plenty of powerful men who are Masons. Being a Mason does not grant one preferential social status. We have to do that on our own. True, certain doors are opened, but that is because Masons can typically trust fellow Masons and they know it.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:04 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,976,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
You have to ask a Mason to join, they are not allowed to ask anyone to join. I suggest you read up on the Mason's
and disregard the ignorant remarks you read here.
They will seek out certain people ...

Old 08-23-2015, 04:42 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,962,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
They will seek out certain people ...

They are not supposed to seek anyone. Members are not supposed to ask anyone to join. That is a no no.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:27 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,976,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
They are not supposed to seek anyone. Members are not supposed to ask anyone to join. That is a no no.
If they want you they will call. But then they don't go calling on the average citizen.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,872,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
If they want you they will call. But then they don't go calling on the average citizen.
the masons do not go calling on ANYONE. if one wants to join the masons, they have to approach them.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:08 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,476,958 times
I really don't know the facts about the Masons, but I was once invited to (and attended) a ceremony for the daughter of a Mason. It was quite solemn, not a party, but some type of 'coming of age' ceremony. The only thing I remember other than that was the teenager spoke lovingly of her grandmother (maybe her parents, too), wore a formal gown. I didn't get it. It was a very conservative affair. I always wondered years later when I saw the teenager, (now in her 20's very different - tats, red (really red) hair, punked out clothing, piercings...) what the ceremony meant. Never asked.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:18 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,841,246 times
It certainly wasn't about dying hair and getting tatoos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies