Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 11:27 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The jobs were created in an area with maybe 5 million people. The minimum wage only affects Seattle proper. Maybe 500k people and is phased in over five years. Don't get too excited.
That is what I was thinking I remembered its not fully gone into effect even. Seems eher mnay already make what the start was already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 01:36 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Did you look at the chart?

Look to the right.. notice the 3 months of LOSSES preceding?
Yes, thats called the difference between fear being spread by folks, and the reality.

Historically theres very little correlation between minimum wage raises, and employment. And people on the right and left both try desperately to make one.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:48 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Just look at the heading of the graph. It says "Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue MSA" (metro statistical area). That encompasses 3.6 million people
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_metropolitan_area

Seattle proper, where the $10 (not $15) minimum is now in effect is about 650,000 population, or less than one in 5 of those represented on the graph. The whole thing is one big fail.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:52 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yes, thats called the difference between fear being spread by folks, and the reality.

Historically theres very little correlation between minimum wage raises, and employment. And people on the right and left both try desperately to make one.
if you dont think an increase in costs, results in things costing more, then explain to me why we dont put everyone in welfare, up in multi million dollar penthouses...

Old 08-26-2015, 03:26 PM

The law of demand is that demand curves virtually always slope downward. As price goes up, quantity demanded goes down. As the minimum wage goes up, the demand for low skill workers goes down. It is just that simple. WHy does the left hate science?

As with most econ 101, it is stipulated "all other things being equal." Since Seattle happens to be in a boom economy right now due to the growth of Amazon and others, all other things are not equal. Seattle-area unemployment is currently 3.7%. I wonder how many workers in Seattle were even effected by the $10 minimum wage. If you're selling your labor for under $10/hr in the context of 3.7% unemployment, you should be looking for another job or negotiating with your boss for a raise.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:31 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Um.. anyone notice that 3, 4 and 5 months ago in the chart, Seattle LOST employees, and it looks like since the law was passed, they lost employees in the field at least 25% of the months?

dah.. its like a rubber band.. when you lose, lose, lose, at some point its going to snap back.

Conservative myth has not bee 'destroyed'..

Well it ought to be since its a stupid myth. Raising the "minimum wage" can only cause massive job losses if there is an opportunity for arbitrage as in across a state line , the low wage restaurant puts the high wage one out of business. Otherwise everyone dips in the same labour pool. Ever notice doctors having high wages don't cause hospitals to go out of business cause, ya know, they all have to pay the same price for labor?

Otherwise its just a small DWL which might cause some marginal declines in total output depending on the state of the work force and to the extend they are being subsidized by da guberment. Having recently been in Finland I was told a big tip is not a requirement since they are well paid. Seems like the place isn't falling apart with social decay and having to beef up the local police force. WTF?

All increasing minimum wage does is a back handed way of reducing fixed financial assets like cash in the mattress and debt since it drives cost push inflation...all it ever does. I wish the Republicans would smarten up cause I really have no other place to go. Why do they have to be such idiots these days? Why are they such drooling morons? what happened to them?

Most of our labor costs are driven up by FIRE sector bloats and rents and consumer debt. Can't have cheap labor when its a $1000 a month rent and an expensive lengthy commute.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:40 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Well it ought to be since its a stupid myth. Raising the "minimum wage" can only cause massive job losses if there is an opportunity for arbitrage as in across a state line , the low wage restaurant puts the high wage one out of business. Otherwise everyone dips in the same labour pool. Ever notice doctors having high wages don't cause hospitals to go out of business cause, ya know, they all have to pay the same price for labor?

Otherwise its just a small DWL which might cause some marginal declines in total output depending on the state of the work force and to the extend they are being subsidized by da guberment. Having recently been in Finland I was told a big tip is not a requirement since they are well paid. Seems like the place isn't falling apart with social decay and having to beef up the local police force. WTF?

All increasing minimum wage does is a back handed way of reducing fixed financial assets like cash in the mattress and debt since it drives cost push inflation...all it ever does. I wish the Republicans would smarten up cause I really have no other place to go. Why do they have to be such idiots these days? Why are they such drooling morons? what happened to them?

Most of our labor costs are driven up by FIRE sector bloats and rents and consumer debt. Can't have cheap labor when its a $1000 a month rent and an expensive lengthy commute.
Actually what you say isnt true. First hospitals dont pay the same price of labor, and many of them do go out of business.

And if a minimum wage increase is a back handed way of reducing fixed assets, then this makes those who who argued that it increases costs and thus pushes jobs overseas a valid argument.

After all, why pay for more here if you can get it less elsewhere.

idiots...

Old 08-26-2015, 03:41 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
if you dont think an increase in costs, results in things costing more, then explain to me why we dont put everyone in welfare, up in multi million dollar penthouses...
OK real easy. Say I sit around on my porch all day with free slave labor at my beck an call. Suddenly that jerk bag all Lincoln like done goes and frees them. So now they want a buck. Now I have to get off my ass and go to work raising total output with me now doing work. Them dirt back former slave might begin to accumulate property and hold onto capital creating competitive forces of rival accumulated capital.

So not only do we have a producer surplus which might lead to more capital like in some poor waiter working on his acting abilities . It might even shake rentiers sitting on their ass . But ya'll don't see it that way because you would not know a labour surplus from a hole in the ground from what occurs with a rising producer surplus. When worker bees don't make honey it does not impact the utilization of the labour surplus, then you have a real rise in price at the macro level.

Read a book.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
OK real easy. Say I sit around on my porch all day with free slave labor at my beck an call. Suddenly that jerk bag all Lincoln like done goes and frees them. So now they want a buck. Now I have to get off my ass and go to work raising total output with me now doing work. Them dirt back former slave might begin to accumulate property and hold onto capital creating competitive forces of rival accumulated capital.

So not only do we have a producer surplus which might lead to more capital like in some poor waiter working on his acting abilities . It might even shake rentiers sitting on their ass . But ya'll don't see it that way because you would not know a labour surplus from a hole in the ground from what occurs with a rising producer surplus. When worker bees don't make honey it does not impact the utilization of the labour surplus, then you have a real rise in price at the macro level.

Read a book.
Put down the crack pipe while you read your book.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:49 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The law of demand is that demand curves virtually always slope downward. As price goes up, quantity demanded goes down. As the minimum wage goes up, the demand for low skill workers goes down. It is just that simple. WHy does the left hate science?

As with most econ 101, it is stipulated "all other things being equal." Since Seattle happens to be in a boom economy right now due to the growth of Amazon and others, all other things are not equal. Seattle-area unemployment is currently 3.7%. I wonder how many workers in Seattle were even effected by the $10 minimum wage. If you're selling your labor for under $10/hr in the context of 3.7% unemployment, you should be looking for another job or negotiating with your boss for a raise.
Agreed. Romneycare worked while his state was doing fairly well before the crash. After the crash, not so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies