Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 07:44 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,903,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You are still living in the 19th and 20th century.

Do you think we will still be doing this in the 25th century? Do you realize than in the next 200 years everything will be automated? There will be very little work to do. You are thinking like a 20th century person and perhaps cannot see that far ahead. Nevertheless, the changes are upon us.
Yep. I think most people are still stuck in the 20th century mindset and have no clue about the kind of change that is barreling down upon us with automation. A good 45% of jobs today will disappear in the coming decade or two. It's going to be a vastly different world. I foresee a time when basic income is going to become a necessity because there will simply be no way for people to earn a living.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 07:47 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,117,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
And are a FRACTION of the jobs being replaced. And require a massively larger knowledge base, and ability......

I mean congratulations, you just replaced 40 million people, and have created 40,000 jobs
Even now we have over a billion huddled in shanty towns managing on the precipice of starvation. These people will never have opportunity or meaning besides mindless reproduction.

Get used to the idea of enormous up creeping redundancy in humanity. Hell, a fifth of the US could vanish into thin air and no one would notice from an economic standpoint.

Quote:
No, robots will maintain each other. You just don't get it or you are simply a contrarian.

When Robots Take All the Work, What'll Be Left for Us to Do? | WIRED
The "end of labor" has been prophesied for centuries.

Don't hold your breath.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:03 PM

26,664 posts, read 15,220,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
It is my sense that you are against this.

You being from Michigan, I am surprised.

Where would Michigan the auto industry be WITHOUT automation and the assembly line?

Where would be with the majority of things being built via the assembly line?

I find it ironic how so many on here praise the "progressive" way, yet when REAL progress comes along, they are against it.
No.

I am 100% about automating fast food.

The last time we went to Taco Bell it took 25 minutes in the drive through...we would have left, but our car was pinned in the line and the service when we finally got it was awful.

Then we went to McDonalds the nest weekend and we had to wait an extra 20 minutes for a strawberry lemonade - they should have came out and told us they couldn't get it quickly.

At least half the time they mess up my order, show incompetence, show uncleanliness...

I am EXCITED for automation!!! Pay the workers the $16.30 an hour recommended by the liberal professor and speed up automation!!!

My goal is to not eat at fast food for the rest of the year on work days as I commute.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:24 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,381,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post

The "end of labor" has been prophesied for centuries.

Don't hold your breath.
The work week has been getting shorter.

In the 1800s the work week was 80 hours, then 59 hours in 1900, and then 40 hours do to the unions.

In Europe the work week is moving to the 30 hour mark.

With AI and automation the work week will soon be 15-20 hours.

The hours are going down dude. History tells you so.

It took the Egyptians 20 years to build a big pyramid. Today it would take much less time and with less workers. You cannot negate history.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:29 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,117,653 times
Quote:
The work week has been getting shorter.

In the 1800s the work week was 80 hours, then 59 hours in 1900, and then 40 hours do to the unions.

In Europe the work week is moving to the 30 hour mark.

With AI and automation the work week will soon be 15-20 hours.

The hours are going down dude. History tells you so.
And life expectancies are going up. Are we to live forever then?

Incidentally in Europe it will be zero because they have negative population growth and private industry is essentially on life support there anyway.

Quote:
It took the Egyptians 20 years to build a big pyramid. Today it would take much less time and with less workers. You cannot negate history.
Throw in over a dozen environmental impact studies, 10 years of back and forth court cases to protect the woolly whooping pygmy frog, and union labor and I think 20 years would be optimistic today.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:05 PM

89 posts, read 142,436 times
In the year 6565 (actually 2020)
arms hang limp at your side.
Your legs got nothing to do.
Some machine is doing that for you.

Remember that song? Creepy!

Old 08-27-2015, 09:55 PM

34,189 posts, read 17,265,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Im in awe at how many folks bring up $15/hr. Folks, these machines were being worked on before the $15/hr discussion was even going on. And even if the minimum wage doesn't go up, it wont stop these machines.

Higher wages speed up automation being bought. Equation is simple investment/$ saved = payback period, and the lower the #, the more likely the franchisee approves the capital investment.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:52 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,446,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Higher wages speed up automation being bought. Equation is simple investment/$ saved = payback period, and the lower the #, the more likely the franchisee approves the capital investment.
Im not saying it doesn't.

1. I WANT the automation to occur quicker. why wouldn't anyone?
2. It will make VERY little difference on when automation occurs. A year earlier? So what?

I guess the point is that automation occurring more rapidly is a good thing. Lets get that wage up to something decent!

Old 08-27-2015, 11:32 PM

6,104 posts, read 6,008,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
And jobs in robotics design, maintenance, and installation open up.
10 maybe 25 software, systems engineering and process engineering jobs to keep a factory huming along which used to employ 1500 or more workers. So what do you do with the other 1475 or more workers who are now on permanent lay-off? Do you tax the bejesus out of the company and 10-25 still working to provide public support to keep the 1475 or more fed, clothed, housed and entertained or do you let social tensions make this nation another Syria or Somalia. Americans haven't goy a clue what to do with their nation or its economy going forward.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:50 PM

6,104 posts, read 6,008,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edspace View Post
In the year 6565 (actually 2020)
arms hang limp at your side.
Your legs got nothing to do.
Some machine is doing that for you.

Remember that song? Creepy!
For those who want to look it up on Youtube , its Zager and Evans' In the Year 2525" from 1969

Last verse

Now it is 10,000 years
Man has cried a billion tears,
But now man's reign is through,
Through the eternal night,
The twinkling of star light,
So very far away.
Maybe it was only Yesterday.

In the year 2525
if man can survive
if women can survive
they may find...

I liked the verse " Every thing you think do and say is in the pill you took today". I can't wait!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies