Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 09:07 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times

Advertisements

"A very powerful statement from Benedictine Nun, Sister Joan Chittister: "I do not believe that just because you're opposed to abortion that that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking. If all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed, and why would I think that you don't? Because you don't want any tax money to go there. That's not pro-life. That's pro-birth. We need a much broader conversation on what the morality of what pro-life is.”" - source Pro-birth, pro-life or pro-choice: A very simple question : TwoXChromosomes

A reflection of the arguments on here. How is it that people who note they are "pro-life" that the life they are for ends with birth? Can you oppose abortion and morally feel justified at opposing education, feeding, and housing this life you are for?

Seems often we have people pro-birth on here, but aren't really pro-life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 09:13 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
many pro life folks believe in "individual responsibility" meaning WOMEN who have sex, take the consequences. you made your bed now lay in it without any help from others.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:20 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,268 times
I'm pro keep aborting the right kinds of babies. Just don't tell me its not killing a living organism. You keep sucking those little kiddos out of your hoo-hoo and I'll try to keep my level of disgust down. It's your body, murder all the parasites that you feel like you need to.

Classy.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:29 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
many pro life folks believe in "individual responsibility" meaning WOMEN who have sex, take the consequences. you made your bed now lay in it without any help from others.
This isn't really "pro-life" is it. A life doesn't end at birth. . .

Plus these people are really badly informed about the reproductive process and the millions of years of genetic drive that goes into it. If the above is your stance - than your stance is a place filled with unwanted, un-cared for, poverty streaking babies. You will pay with this with increased poverty, crime, etc.

It is amazing people talk about "individual responsibility" when our track record of individual responsibility (being capable of it in regards to sex) is well documented.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:30 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,412 times
People get to have a say in family planning when they are responsible for the consequences they advocate. Pro-lifers that wish to ban abortion, and usually birth control, seem to want nothing to do with that life once it gets out of the mother. Therefore I don't believe they get a say in how a family decides.

It's their family and their bodies it's their choice. That's their freedom. I give money to give an option other than abortion to provide for the safety and well being of both, as well as for both after that. I have seen the heartache and problems with keeping and aborting a child, and lacking the ability to get adequate birth control when needed.

People seem to think if others have sex it is a sin that they should be punished for cruelly for the rest of their lives. They have no compassion in their souls. Protection fails, families fall apart, deaths happen...we have no right to make judgement on circumstances we don't know.

Even if the assumption is that the parents are wrong...why must the child pay?

I know someone quite well that had her child after leaving her husband. She has repeatedly been called a ****, *****, and sinful that she should be punished (including at her church). To the point it was a factor in moving across the country. She chose to because during the pregnancy her husband had a psychotic break ranting about conspiracies and then when they were trying to get him help...beat the crap out of her. She wanted the child, and to this day loves him dearly, with zero help because these people feel she is unworthy for not staying with him after her child was born.

There is the compassion and love of Jesus. I am sickened to be a Christian as well to hear others doing this.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:32 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
People get to have a say in family planning when they are responsible for the consequences they advocate. Pro-lifers that wish to ban abortion, and usually birth control, seem to want nothing to do with that life once it gets out of the mother. Therefore I don't believe they get a say in how a family decides.

It's their family and their bodies it's their choice. That's their freedom. I give money to give an option other than abortion to provide for the safety and well being of both, as well as for both after that. I have seen the heartache and problems with keeping and aborting a child, and lacking the ability to get adequate birth control when needed.

People seem to think if others have sex it is a sin that they should be punished for cruelly for the rest of their lives. They have no compassion in their souls. Protection fails, families fall apart, deaths happen...we have no right to make judgement on circumstances we don't know.

I know someone quite well that had her child after leaving her husband. She has repeatedly been called a ****, *****, and sinful that she should be punished (including at her church). To the point it was a factor in moving across the country. She chose to because during the pregnancy her husband had a psychotic break ranting about conspiracies and then when they were trying to get him help...beat the crap out of her. She wanted the child, and to this day loves him dearly, with zero help because these people feel she is unworthy for not staying with him after her child was born.

There is the compassion and love of Jesus. I am sickened to be a Christian as well to hear others doing this.
Identifying yourself as a Christian so you can fake indignation at other Christians is just as disingenuous as being a hypocritical Christian. Why not reject the whole religious thing all together? Seems to me to be a lot more intellectually honest.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:39 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times
Quote:
And those same misguided individuals forget that sexual assault is not uncommon in this country. Women can get pregnant via rape. No it is not an "Act of God." I guess to hell with her right?

Old 07-07-2014, 09:40 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,460,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Identifying yourself as a Christian so you can fake indignation at other Christians is just as disingenuous as being a hypocritical Christian. Why not reject the whole religious thing all together? Seems to me to be a lot more intellectually honest.
People use religion to deny others the choice of family planning. It is being honest to address that fact.

Are you saying people don't?

Old 07-07-2014, 09:41 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Having an abortion is responsible. We don't need more neglected or orphaned kids.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:42 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Men don't share equal responsibility for the consequences?

Last I checked it took a man and a woman having unprotected sex to create life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies