Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 11:58 PM

1,160 posts, read 713,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Translated : Do what I demand!

Seriously? No.

We're discussing minimum wage, and you derail it into the non working poor. And then demand all sorts of things, FAR in excess of whats reasonable. I'm not going to invest hours of work putting together something you as a reasoning person should be aware of, or spend the time learning.

Because then you will debate the details, and move the goal posts....as you have demonstrated.
What? You have no responded to anything I've said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 12:03 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
What? You have no responded to anything I've said.
I didn't say I had. I said I would not spend hours of my time trying to convince you of things you can learn yourself. Its not that complicated. I'm willing to drop 5-10 minutes here and there, but really...spend time doing it yourself. Im not your little google monkey.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:04 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
I believe a modest increase in the minimum wage is reasonable. However that will be useless unless its also complemented by more efforts to tackle illegal immigration and secure our borders, because illegal aliens will always work below minimum wage. Raising the minimum wage will only encourage employers to hire more illegals who are willing to work beneath it and not complain.

I think the minimum wage should be increased slightly, and there is a place for unions in private industry (state workers...no) but at the same time we must fight illegal immigration if we truly care about the American working class.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:05 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,833 times
Quote:
To be fair I wasn't even born yet then. And while I have issues with Democrats, I have far more with republicans. I'm not a single issue voter, I vote based upon everything that a politician represents. Yes this does mean occasionally voting for Republicans-although not horribly common.

Whats funny though is how you brought up that act as a democrat thing. yes a democrat sponsored it, but it had massive bi-partisan support. More democrats voted against it then Republicans did.
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/89-1965/h125

In all honesty Republicans have done more for illegal immigrants then democrats have. Reagen especially. Its only recently that some Republicans have seized on it as a wedge issue....and that just means they talk about it...not that they do anything. The one exception to that in my opinion is Trump.
The fact that you're not a single issue voter simply means that you vote for a complex package. Then please accept the pros and cons. Everything has pros and cons. You supported and it comes with things that you don't like. But you supported it. I know that the 1965 act was bipartisan, much like just about everything else in this country. Anyway, this is the result. You cannot say you want to good part of it but not the bad part of it. Not to mention that One persons positive is another person's negative.

Yes, Trump has a narrowminded view want to comes to immigration. He is an embarrassment. If he ever becomes the US president, it would be an international joke. The best person is still Hillary Clinton, socially liberal and fiscally conservative in essence.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
Wow, did you miss the point...in such glorious fashion. The only reason poor people come to America is because of opportunity. Why does this opportunity exist? It seems to me you are against American workers competing with immigrants, and the reason you use is because it's beneath them to act like immigrants? This is a bizarre thought coming from a lefty. Maybe, just maybe, our workers have too high of an expectation of what their labor is worth and immigrants realise this and are seizing the inefficiencies in the labor market? Maybe, just maybe, our expectation of what our minimum standard of living should be is too high?
That is the paradox of lefties. They have to believe in equality put in quotation marks, but deep down they actually believe in their superiority over those in other countries

Old 09-14-2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
The fact that you're not a single issue voter simply means that you vote for a complex package. Then please accept the pros and cons. Everything has pros and cons. You supported and it comes with things that you don't like. But you supported it. I know that the 1965 act was bipartisan, much like just about everything else in this country. Anyway, this is the result. You cannot say you want to good part of it but not the bad part of it. Not to mention that One persons positive is another person's negative.

Yes, Trump has a narrowminded view want to comes to immigration. He is an embarrassment. If he ever becomes the US president, it would be an international joke. The best person is still Hillary Clinton, socially liberal and fiscally conservative in essence.
Yeah lots of tough choice. Trump isnt one of mine that I can see choosing. Im not sold on Clinton. I dont like family dynastys, and find that she is too corporate for me. More of a bernie sanders fan.

Like you said, pros and cons.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Maybe...just maybe living in a country thats richer then ever before in its history, the people other then those at the very top, should be doing better? Its not that I think its beneath them (love how you make it a emotional argument there), its that a country which has gotten so incredibly wealthy shouldn't have the majority falling behind.

But suddenly you are all pro immigration.....how did you say it...."this is a bizarre thought coming from a"....conservative.

Too high of an expectation for what their labor is worth? No worries, as a % of income labor has steadily dropped as a cost. Maybe you have too low of an expectation, after all, can't have the .01% share any of the wealth that the "labor" made for them.
You seem to have assumptions about conservatives. There are many different kinds of conservatives and their views very whole lot. I have always been pro-immigration. Immigration is quite in-line with fiscal conservative value, as it is a part of global capitalism, the free movement of labor and capital. Some conservatives are against immigration because of the effects of social conservatism, racism, nationalism, or other things that interrupt fiscal conservatism. But fiscal conservatism itself does not have racial or national preferences.

You talk about emotional stuff. The whole liberal obsession with immigration is purely emotional. Because unions and the like are much too socially conservative to welcome immigration.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:58 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
So, you don't think learning a new skill or how to do a different job that pays more than the one you have helps you?

Where did I say that stop putting words in my mouth. I fully support people going to college, going to trade schools or learning on the job but it is a myth that if everyone does it there are gonna be jobs for everyone that is not reality. Someone has to work these low wage jobs.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Where did I say that stop putting words in my mouth. I fully support people going to college, going to trade schools or learning on the job but it is a myth that if everyone does it there are gonna be jobs for everyone that is not reality. Someone has to work these low wage jobs.
And yet those minimum wage jobs are the growing job market sadly.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:10 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costaexpress View Post
That's because minimum wage jobs aren't for people who are trying to raise a family. These people should not wait for e wage to go up, and even with the proposed higher wage, it is still a temp job. So if raising a family is your goal, your minimum wage goals can't do that anyway.

The problem is that people need to get better, be financially frugal, learn fiscal literacy, be better disciplined. Tighten up. Buckle up. It's goi to be a rough ride for the next several decades, if not the entire rest of this century.

Waiting, relying, deferring , none of these works. In the end, make an effort, be proactive.
Maybe you should you look up the history of the min wage before you make up lies. A temp job is a job that you get temporarily and may or may not be asked to keep working that is different then most min wage jobs. The idea that people have to get better to reach some absurd level you made up just to have enough to live on is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies