Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 06:30 PM

5,663 posts, read 5,095,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Well, I'm a History grad and I make almost $50k as a medical claims adjuster for Progressive. I'm content and quite happy, but I guess most people would consider me a failure since I don't do anything related to my major. Anyways, I don't regret college one bit because I needed it for my job.
Did you research the job market for history majors before committing to that program? Was there a demand? What was the starting pay, how fast did that rise with experience, and what did it top out at, say 10-15 years in? It was your time, 4-5 years getting no skills you're using or are likely to use. Was it Mommy and Daddy's money, or loans? How much did (or will) it cost you, factoring in interest if there are loans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
We smell BS on that one.
Who's this "we"? Is there a mouse in your pocket?

Anyhow, it's true as I've spoken to the girls there often when it's slow. They say the job market is tough, and I say they're unprepared with marketable skills. But she makes a good cup of coffee, and I leave a good tip.

And I'd bet a similar story could be told at SB's or fast food joints across the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 06:40 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,881,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
$15/hr is about $30K/year, which is about $21K/year after taxes. That's about $1700/month after taxes.

Is anyone going to argue that $1700/month is middle class living?
fine, the issue though wasnt how much $15 per hour is, its what it should be for individual markets. $15 per hour may work as a minimum wage in new york city, but it is as i noted a lot of money for tucson arizona.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:15 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,354,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
in other words you cant answer the question.
Read post no. 16!

Old 09-06-2015, 08:05 PM

3,705 posts, read 4,860,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
You like to just totally make stuff up don't you?
How? You stated one thing and I just turned it around. It works that way as well.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:37 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,400,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Demand is not likely to go up as a result of raising the minimum wage. Again, this is basic supply/demand, and basic algebra. After we raise the minimum wage, the wage rate goes up, but the hours worked goes down. The overall demand (price (wage rate)*quantity(hours worked) is going to drop. It's econ 101 and algebra 101.

I live in Washington state where we passed a voter initiative for a high minimum wage that is bumped up every year per inflation. We have the highest minimum wage of any state (9.47/hr), unless you count D.C. @10.50/hr. None of my friends' teenage kids are able to get jobs. Why pay a 16-yr-old $9.47/hr when a 20-something, probably an immigrant, possibly with a family to support, will do that job, show up on time, and produce?
Washington youth unemployment is much higher than the national average. Think the minimum wage plays a role?

Some historical reality for you....
Wow..what utter nonsense. Really? demand doesn't go up when the poorest people have more money to spend? Really? Thats your response?

And then you go to talking about teenagers being replaced by immigrants? I mean, lets nto talk about minimum wage...lets change the topic to illegal immigration! Because by gosh if your argument sucks, lets change the topic right?

And then you want to argue that its Econ 101 and Algebra 101. Guess you should take Econ 200....because they might discuss reality (And historical examples) vs your theory, and oversimplification.

Let me give you a hint. Its not the immigrants taking minimum wage jobs from your kids. Its people with kids of their own, adults, and seniors who can't afford to retire.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:02 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,428,190 times
Quote:
May I suggest you sign up at the nearest community college for an English class to improve your reading comprehension skills?

I comprehend just fine. It's your math. If you make more in two months than he makes in a year, that's six times as much. If he makes $12/hour, you make $72/hour, or about $150k. Sure.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:18 PM

32,108 posts, read 15,101,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Why do you think a job that any one with zero skills, zero experience, no education and a few minutes of training could do is worth enough to live comfortably on? Why would you be surprised that an engineer in management with a few years of experience would make far more than a no skill, no education warehouse worker?

The average CEO makes about $160k, very few make the insane mega million amounts that the minimum wage fans like to cite as if every CEO in the country was paid it.

The median accountant salary in Seattle is $53k, do you think that minimum wage should be 60% of what an accountant makes? Seattle voters do. After all the school, certifications and ongoing training your boyfriend makes do you think he'll still support a minimum wage not much below what he'll bring in?
Good grief are you so wrong. A good friend made this amount of money when she graduated from law school. And you're saying this is the average of CEO's lol

Old 09-06-2015, 09:35 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,121,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I comprehend just fine. It's your math. If you make more in two months than he makes in a year, that's six times as much. If he makes $12/hour, you make $72/hour, or about $150k. Sure.
I wasn't talking about that part. Try again. This is getting amusing. Didn't think your attempt at putting a negative spin on my words would show your lack of reading comprehension did you?

Old 09-06-2015, 09:39 PM

1,160 posts, read 714,781 times
Quote:
My boyfriend believes in raising the minimum wage. I'm in between not caring and against raising the minimum wage, although I've been leaning toward being against raising the minimum wage.

When we met a couple years back, he was working in a warehouse full time at $12-15/hour. Couple years ago, he quit that job to go back to school studying finance and accounting.

I'm an engineer in management.

With the background out of the way... earlier today, he got a look at my paystub. He then commented that I make more in a couple months than what he made a whole year when he was working in the warehouse. That comment really hit me hard because I didn't think I make that much to begin with. I have the typical salary of a middle manager.

That also got me thinking. When people complain that CEO's make an obscene amount of money more than the minimum wage worker, wouldn't it make more sense to compare what the typical low skilled worker makes to something like what an engineer makes? Why do I say that? Because now that I think about it, I don't know how anyone can survive on something like $12-15/hour with any level of comfort, let alone less than $10/hour.

I'm leaning back towards supporting raising the minimum wage.
How did you boyfriend survive making less than $15 an hour? A person's wages, as you and he found out, is not static. I mean the entire argument concerning a livable wage is thwarted by the fact your boyfriend did live and is now presumably prospering. Using your own lifestyle to suggest how can poor people live is, frankly, idiotic. You could live on much, much less if you had too. Life is not fair. A mediocre artist will not make more than a CEO of a multi-billion dollar company. Stop arguing with reality. Wages are based on the value of the labor in the marketplace. We live in a predominantly capitalistic society and that will not change anytime soon and if do want to it change you can then accept and expect to have your own wages get altered based on what someone thinks is "fair" or "livable" or/and other "arbitrary reason" (all of which do not have a sensible method for determining) then so be it, you would be in the minority or not among the intelligent.

Last edited by billydaman; 09-06-2015 at 10:05 PM..

Old 09-06-2015, 09:48 PM

34,078 posts, read 17,134,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
No one is going to hire a person for $15/hr to do a job that requires few skills and is only worth (to the employer) $5.50/hr (for example). That work will be redistributed to other departments/employees, increasing their work load. I have seen it happen.

The government cannot make such decree's and just expect business to roll over. Isn't going to happen.

Pay scales are set by the Market. That is as it should be.

Anyone who can't 'make it' on what they are now earning simply needs to learn new skills. It isn't as easy as it once was — largely because of government interference in the free market. Don't like it? Vote Republican!
Amen. Business will work around wages set at more than they are worth via automation, offshoring, etc. As they should do. It is a corrective measure that should prompt the government to see the error of their ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies