Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 10:30 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
But a group that they protected and aided DID declare war on the US.

However, in my view any sort of formal declaration is a side issue. We have a right to defend ourselves, declaration or not.
Since when is invading/occupying other nations a defensive move?

We heard this same BS during the Vietnam era, 'If we don't fight them over there we'll have to fight them over here!'

I don't know about your neighborhood but the only Vietnamese I see in mine are delivering take-out and the biggest threat they represent is my Pho might be cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Having said that I think WE should have declared war (formally) and then bombed them into the 10th Century BC and then left. No nation building, no reconstruction. Nothing. Simply kill huge numbers of them because that's all they really understand. Afterwards we should have just left a note on their front door telling them that if they ever do that again we'll come back. And next time we might be mad.
Because instead of learning from the USSR's own debacle there we should attempt to duplicate it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 10:33 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Afghanistan is rich in rare earth minerals.
They're far from the only ones:Chinese Rare Earth Glut Triggers A Price Collapse And Environmental Crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's why we're fighting them.

GEE! Maybe we could just buy what we need from other countries like civilized nations do.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:38 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,566,254 times
The West should fight Radical Islam, all the Islamist terror organizations feed off this one monster.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:43 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
The need to have reasons to justify defense dept. budgets from being cut!
Hannity devoted his entire show last night ( pretaped ?) to the Cheney father and daughter, complete with tapes comparing Obama to Hitler.

Cheney made it clear Defense and associated spending must be the country's top priority. The duo deferred when asked which 2016 primary candidate they support and replied along the lines they support the candidate who is most willing to make Defense the top priority and spend accordingly, no matter the backlash from media and the people.

Alrighty, then.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
The West should fight Radical Islam, all the Islamist terror organizations feed off this one monster.
It's a global ideology.

By this I mean, it's not limited to parts of the ME , not all Muslims are radical.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
We have our own problems. With Barry’s open border policy, we don’t even bother to track the ones coming in. Way to protect us!

We need to accept and understand we are fighting radical Muslims. It’s a fact. They have declared this war. The US, UK, France, Greece, and all the other countries need to join in and eradicate ISIS.

Why? We are fighting 7th century savages, who can not be reasoned with.
The U.S. recieves 70 million tourists a year. Tourists have been and continue to be allowed to freely move about the U.S.

Should all inbound tourists be required to wear tracking devices to better apprehend those who overstay their visas or commit crimes?

Most of the 9/11 hijackers were in the U.S. legally. Most entered on passports from our allly Saudi Arabia.

In absence of a crime, how does a country differentiate between good and bad guys?
Should the U.S. round up Dr Oz , a U.S. citizen, because he is a ( moderate) Muslim?

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 09-08-2015 at 11:13 AM..

Old 09-08-2015, 12:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Resources and Geopolitical power. Duh.
What resources. They have no mining industry, and we're never gonna establish one.

Geopolitical power? No one has ever subdued that nation.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:26 PM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
They protected Al Qaeda because their culture doesn't allow them to turn their guests over to their enemies. .
LOL, they didn't bank on the US Marines when they made that policy. Talk about dying for nothing.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I'd have to agree with Mircea on this one, American hegemony is now, and has been for a long time, the official US foreign policy, albeit a policy with a thousand different faces. Each foray into another's country sinks us further into a state of hubris so common to all empires.

The US and Britain have had a long and turbulent relationship with the mideast nations, after the discovery of oil, before that we had little to gain from the majority of those desert dwellers and instead both powers were kept busy meddling in the affairs of those nations they dominated for whatever resources they could plunder. If by some miracle the US could find a replacement for oil we'd be pulling out of the middle east lock stock and barrell. Holly Sklar's books have been a great primer on the excesses of our oil policies around the globe.

The lack of a clear and truthful history of the events surround the huge price increases in American oil prices circa 1973 seems to be a major stumbling block for those who are still toting the colors for a US domination of all those who seek to have a cohesive political autonomy in their homeland. The Taliban see themselves as a type of liberator, a type of nationalist, but their origins are tied to the CIA and another hegemonic experiment gone bad. History is replete with tales of American involvement with some of the worst dictators and terrorists that ever lived, but---American's are notable for their lack of a sound knowledge of their own recent history.

We fight the Taliban ostensibly because we lost control of them, otherwise they would be utilized in the struggle for a more petroleum dominant position for the west, and who knows that they aren't part of a much larger scheme to provide a rationale for our continued presence in mideast affairs.......
Bravo! Very good post. You dropped a diamond in that I'd never heard of Holly Sklar. I'm gonna look for some audio books by her.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
LOL, they didn't bank on the US Marines when they made that policy. Talk about dying for nothing.
The Marines didn't capture him though...and we're still there and they still aren't defeated. You and I are a trillion bucks broker and the Taliban is no worse for wear.

Don't forget that the Taliban asked the Bush administration for overwhelming evidence against Bin Laden as the sole caveat for turning him over. We refused.

I'm sure the Taliban knew that we'd be coming locked and loaded, but they have history on their side. The Marines are tough, but like every other would-be conquering army, not tough enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies