Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 06:00 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
But a group that they protected and aided DID declare war on the US.

However, in my view any sort of formal declaration is a side issue. We have a right to defend ourselves, declaration or not.

Having said that I think WE should have declared war (formally) and then bombed them into the 10th Century BC and then left. No nation building, no reconstruction. Nothing. Simply kill huge numbers of them because that's all they really understand. Afterwards we should have just left a note on their front door telling them that if they ever do that again we'll come back. And next time we might be mad.
I'm afraid you're right. God knows the Islamists will TRY to take down the US and Europe; I'd go "holocaust" on the Islamists 1st. Tho I'd do my best to protect the Kurds and some of the other "Sufi" Muslim people. Even Iran's Shia don't seem to be as stupid as the Sunnis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 06:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:

However, in my view any sort of formal declaration is a side issue. We have a right to defend ourselves, declaration or not.

Having said that I think WE should have declared war (formally) and then bombed them into the 10th Century BC and then left. No nation building, no reconstruction. Nothing. Simply kill huge numbers of them because that's all they really understand. Afterwards we should have just left a note on their front door telling them that if they ever do that again we'll come back. And next time we might be mad.
They protected Al Qaeda because their culture doesn't allow them to turn their guests over to their enemies. They never claimed to agree with 9/11. They didn't plan it and i doubt they cared about whether it happened or not. They care about ruling their country....not about ruling OURS.

BTW...we've protected terrorists too, and did it for less altruistic reasons. Think of Ali Hassan Salameh, who was one of the terrorists that killed Israeli athletes at the 72 Olympics. We barred the Israelis from killing him while we still found him useful for other purposes..namely as a conduit to the PLO. Once we didn't need him anymore, then we removed our protection.

Why should we have declared a formal war on Afghanistan or the Taliban? That makes no sense. No nation in history has ever subdued Afghanistan and we wouldn't have been the first. All the bombing in the world wouldn't have changed that. Besides, bomb innocent people? Really?

Should someone who doesn't like our actions in their country drop bombs on us here in the United States?
Quote:
Agreed. I only stated WHY we are still there... not that it would ever work. Lets be real... most Afghans WANT to live in mud huts and romance donkeys. The West can't 'fix' that. When it's all said and done they will go right back to the barbarity they have always championed. Their own tribalism will always keep them in total poverty and 1200 years behind the rest of the world.
I don't know that most Afghans want to live in those conditions or not. I DO know that they want to live how they please...the way they've lived for centuries. What's wrong with that? Do we know better how they should live?

I mean, it's hardly fair to call them "barbaric." If they're barbaric, what are we in the west once you take in the 100 million deaths in two world wars?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I'm afraid you're right. God knows the Islamists will TRY to take down the US and Europe; I'd go "holocaust" on the Islamists 1st. Tho I'd do my best to protect the Kurds and some of the other "Sufi" Muslim people. Even Iran's Shia don't seem to be as stupid as the Sunnis.
This thread is about the Taliban. Are they trying to take down the U.S. and Europe? I've seen no evidence of that.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:21 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
Quote:

If you are talking about 911, they were all from Saudi Arabia except for one.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:10 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So how long should we keep chasing the Taliban around Afghanistan?
The US needs access to Central Asia from the Persian Gulf/Arabian Sea/Indian Ocean in order to push its hegemony on Central Asia.

The puppet dictatorships set up by Clinton have either collapsed or turned their backs on the US, so without hegemony, it's pointless.

The US must either gain control of Iran, or gain control of Afghanistan, and then use its relationship with Pakistan to gain access to Central Asia via Afghanistan and Baluchistan.

Even though the Chevron-BP Conglomerate owns 75% of the resources in Central Asia, those resources are being processes and shipped/transported to/through Russia or China, where they are not sold in US Dollars.

For example, when the Black Sea Pipeline is finished, that will be 5 Million barrels of fresh new oil brought to the Market every day, and it will be sold in Euros and Rubles and Basket Currencies, but not in US Dollars. That will harm your economy.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:16 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,567,907 times
The war on Taliban was/is stupid, so is the war on Al Qaeda, ISIS and hundreds of other Islamic terror groups. It is stupid to chase after these organizations, when the real enemy is against................Radical Islam.

Islamists are inspired to follow the path of their prophet; Muhammad, who himself was a terrorist among many other wonderful things.
Sina's Challenge

Old 09-07-2015, 07:18 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,829,035 times
Quote:
Just asking, because i can't figure it out for the life of me. Does anyone really believe that even if the Taliban were the sworn enemies of this country (and i definitely don't believe they are), we'd actually be able to eradicate them from Afghanistan?

For those that say that we're fighting them because they harbored Al Qaeda and wouldn't turn them over to us for prosecution, that's kinda silly all these years later. Part of Afghan culture is that they don't turn over their guests over to anyone.

So how long should we keep chasing the Taliban around Afghanistan?
The only wouldn't I have heard is that the fight is to stop the spread of the caliphate. As long as the caliphate stands more radicals will be drawn out to fight. If Isis is stopped now and the caliphate destroyed the power of Isis leaders saying they are decedents of Muhammad and reducing their ability to recruit new members.

It is about the only reasoning that holds any water with me.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
People like you are too dumb or naive to see the consequences long term.
Same as Clinton was too dumb to tale Sudan's offer of turning over Bin laden. As he was seeing first Tower bombing as anything other than a local Police matter. Some will hide their heads in sand until rear end is bitten as we have seen thru out history, Then millions to billions die ;not thousands.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:47 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,619,009 times
It makes sense to eliminate or capture military-targets that are the highest threat to the USA.

The idea of endless-wars, nation-building and payoffs to crooks...being some huge benefit to the safety and security of the USA, is only true in the Phonycons wet-dreams.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:09 PM

410 posts, read 398,648 times
Quote:
I agree with this assessment for the most part. But let's be honest, no Afghan government will ever be able to defeat a rebel army like the Taliban. That's because Afghanistan is a nation of tribes and clans. No national government will ever be able to rule over the whole nation. It's ungovernable.

And we're not gonna make it a governable place.
The Afghan government is unable to defeat the Taliban because Taliban is sheltered by Pakistan.
The former head of Afghan security explains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHJk0RZkH9A

Your conjecture that Afghanistan, being a nation of tribes can't govern is flat out wrong.
Prior to Russian invasion, Afghanistan was quite governable, quite modern.
Astonishing Pictures Of Afghanistan From Before The Wars - Business Insider

Also, the current government of Ashraf Ghani (from Pashtun tribe) has a power sharing agreement with Abdullah Abdullah (from Northern Alliance). They were once bitter rivals but are now working together.
Afghanistan

Once Pakistan is sorted out, Afghanistan will be free of Taliban within six months.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:19 PM

57,333 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
People like you are too dumb or naive to see the consequences long term.
The only thing dumb is to believe in the misconception that we can defeat a faction in a country that is readily accepted by a large part of the population , Great Britain, Russia, go back to the 1800's nothing changes but you seem to think this will be a different outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies