Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 03:17 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Why are you dodging the question?

What number does your link give for the number of black people murdered by police?
Wow. I can't believe I have to explain this to a presumably grown adult with at least basic language skills.

1,130 black people killed by police last year
2,151 white people killed by police last year

41,600,000 black people in the U.S.
201,600,000 white people in the U.S.

Therefore, the rate of police killing black people (2.72) is more than 2.5 times higher than their kill rate of white people (1.07). Therefore, it's a much bigger problem for black people.

Hope this clears up your confusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 03:19 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times

Old 09-09-2015, 03:28 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Wow. I can't believe I have to explain this to a presumably grown adult with at least basic language skills.

Therefore, the rate of police killing black people (2.72) is more than 2.5 times higher than their kill rate of white people (1.07). Therefore, it's a much bigger problem for black people.

You haven't cleared up jack, and you either know that or are too ignorant to figure it out.

We are talking about the number of black people murdered by police.

Your numbers nor your article address that. What is so difficult to understand about that?

So, once again, how many black people have been murdered by police, and link the documentation.

If, by some slight chance, you post the number, it will prove that such situations are extremely rare.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:42 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
You haven't cleared up jack, and you either know that or are too ignorant to figure it out.

Your numbers nor your article address that. What is so difficult to understand about that?

So, once again, how many black people have been murdered by police, and link the documentation.

If, by some slight chance, you post the number, it will prove that such situations are extremely rare.
When it comes to when Blacks commit murder, the rate is used. The same should be done with victimization. By rate, Blacks have a high rate of being killed by police officers, and by each other. Black men are pretty much the #1 murder victim in the USA.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:45 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:

Son, I did post the number. It's right there in the post you just replied to but didn't read.

By your logic, killing the last endangered black rhino is irrelevant because there's still millions of seagulls and we've killed far more of them.

This is really embarrassing for you but now that I know you're not even reading what I write I at least understand why your ignorance persists in this topic.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:49 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Son, I did post the number. It's right there in the post you just replied to but didn't read.

By your logic, killing the last endangered black rhino is irrelevant because there's still millions of seagulls and we've killed far more of them.

This is really embarrassing for you but now that I know you're not even reading what I write I at least understand why your ignorance persists in this topic.
So, you are claiming that 1,130 black people were murdered by police last year?

I just want to make sure you are in fact making the most ignorant claim posted on CD this month.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:06 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Yet the officials in Chicago and elsewhere who refuse to acknowledge the real problem, would blame communities like yours for their problem.

It's awful funny that the communities with virtually no gun control all have significantly lower crime rates than those with the strictest. I mean, if "guns are the problem".... you'd think all this little suburban communities that supposedly supply big city criminals with guns, would have astronomical crime rates, right?

Or maybe the gun isn't the problem, it's the socio economic conditions, lack of opportunity and jobs that drives the crime rates

1. When did they ever arrive at a conclusion of "little suburban communities supply big city criminals with firearms"?
The average Joe isn't doing it - a large ring of straw man purchasers would need to be present which should draw red flags from every FFL dealer in the state.

2. It's not the gun, socio-economic conditions, lack of opportunity or jobs responsible. Those are just talking points liberals employ to confuse matters worse.
It's the nature of the people involved. It is excepted behavior until BLM.
But, thinking in such a manner is RACIST!

Old 09-09-2015, 04:47 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Does it surprise you that generations of oppressing a specific group and concentrating their lowest income residents in towers of poverty fosters higher rates of violence?

Good news is Chicago's violence is still near lows not seen since 1965.
That's not my point. My point has nothing to do with race, but I don't find it surprising that you would assume that.....

My point was, that it's other factors besides the mere presence of guns that are the root cause of violence and crime.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:56 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:

Your premise assumes an even playing field, and that's not the case.

Black people make up 13% of the population, but commit 58% of crimes.

Black people commit a disproportionate amount of the crimes, therefore they have a disproportionate amount of police encounters, and therefore it stands to reason that they'll have a disproportionate amount of fatal encounters with police.

ONLY IF blacks committed crimes proportionate to their population, could you say that the disproportionate amount of fatal police encounters is an effect of racism or unequal treatment.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:31 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:

The underlying assumption you don't seem to realize that you are making is that blacks and whites are engaged in the same level of criminal activity and thus the ratios should be level.

From the FBI crime stats around 2700 blacks committed murder in 2013 as compared to 2750ish whites.

It is reasonable to assume that engaging in activities like murder, armed robbery etc. tend to correlate with getting yourself shot by the police.

Other crimes like assault, robbery etc. all vary. This source shows arrests by crime type and race.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...ables/table-43

In short, if you don't adjust for the amount of crime the various races are engaging in then your ratio of 2.72 is pretty much useless.

It seems that the volume of crime committed reasonably explains the difference you note above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies