Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 07:48 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I suppose it feels good to know that your neighbors will pay for your needs.
Nope. I pay my own way.

And if all else fails I will claim to be Mexican so I will get it for free.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:49 AM

5,995 posts, read 3,734,817 times
Quote:
I suppose it feels good to know that your neighbors will pay for your needs.
Yeah especially if he should show up at an emergency room. They hate "leeches" but don't mind being leeches themselves. Puzzling.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Yeah especially if he should show up at an emergency room. They hate "leeches" but don't mind being leeches themselves. Puzzling.
I am a trust fund baby. I have my own money.

But I like the Mexican option.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:08 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,784,543 times
Quote:
The person making 1 penny more, by definition, has a greater ability to pay. Such is life when the qualification for subsidy is an income amount. But fear not, in the long run there will be a universal single payer system where there be no subsidy qualifying....
Typical ACA supporter response and I predicted this as well.

To further my issue with the ACA.

Right now there is also the 8% of Modified adjusted income rule.

https://www.healthcare.gov/fees-exem...-from-the-fee/

Meaning if the LOWEST health premiums on the market place are more than 8% of your adjusted gross income, you can opt out of the ACA.

This presents a huge issue especially for those who have seen their premiums jacked up (and overall cost if you include deductible).

The exemption doesn't take into account for the up to $12700 deductible.

Say you have a family of 4. In florida, lots of plans to choose from. Say family makes $100K a year adjusted gross income (pretty good income). The typical premium for a family husband age 38, wife age 36 with 2 kids ages 8 and 10. Pre ACA (circa 2013) was around $700/month-800/month with a max out of pocket of $6000.

Now under the ACA the typical plan still is roughly $700/month-800 yet the max out of the pocket is $12700.

I can assure you the number of american making over 100K is a lot. 100K may seem like a high income...say in the 1980s. But it's not an affluent income.

Any "emergency surgery" like appendix, fixing a fracture arm will easily eat the entire $12700.

Which sends their total out of pocket (health premiums $8400 a year plus $12700) close to 20% of their adjusted income.

The ACA was not designed for the slightly upper middle class family in hand. It's a huge doughnut hole.

And someone making 100K adjusted income doesn't have the extra $6000-7000 a year in out of pocket to cover the "emergency surgery". You saying "tough, that is life". Is the same thing as me saying "tough taht is life to those making less than 200-250% of poverty"

As for single payer, good luck with that. Vermont axed their single payer. Because it would require a 19% health tax on it's own citizen.

Single payer only will work if al those exempted (say VA veterans, medicare, all those retired with nice health care pensions plans etc) pay their "full share". And that will take a lot of political maneuvering. Remember Bush 43 won 2004 election by 4 million votes. Obama 44 won 2012 by 5 million votes.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
I highly doubt that even if you are a "trust fund" entitled person you could keep up with medical bills resulting from a major medical event. That money would dry up fast. Speaking of this "trust fund" you have, essentially you are living off someone else's money. You didn't make that yourself so in reality you should think twice before ranting against those on welfare, ACA insurance, etc. like you do.
I will continue to rant over that how that idiot lied and caused me to lose the health care plan I liked that was tailored to me.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Obamacare LIED to many Americans that lost the plans they liked.
Obamacare wasn't just about giving people who had no insurance the option to get it.
Obamacare changed insurance for all of us and that was the lie.

And now the Dems won't even go near it or address it. They now act as if they had nothing to do with it.

Old 09-13-2015, 11:32 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Kyle: You can go online and check state rates for health insurance. However, you might also check at the county level. In my state, each county can have different rates. There is a chart for all 67 counties in my state. Each county has different plans. Some counties might have 4 or 5 plans but other counties might have 25 plans to choose from.

You can compare different places you want to live to check their current premiums for health insurance plans. You can also go directly to the health insurance carriers and to check. You can buy insurance from brokers, carriers or through the ACA. If you get any subsidy, then you must get it via ACA. But if you are paying the full premium you can buy it anywhere and the Obamacare rules still apply to those plans too (rules such as: cannot charge you higher rate for preexisting cond and cannot cancel you if you get sick and cannot charge you higher rate if you get sick).

Old 09-13-2015, 11:54 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,937 times
I bought a Humana PPO Gold plan in Georgia for 2014. It was pretty good. I had to have surgery and there was a $2000 deductable but I think 80% was covered after that. I also received very good prices for medicine and doctors visits. It was a little over $200 a month

This year I bought a platinum EPO Blue Select plan in Florida because I needed to have some endoscopy work done and I didn't know what the bills were going to be like. It served me very well until my employer insurance kicked in. I had no deductible and 90% of bills were paid. This one was more expensive though, a little over $300 a month.

I am in my late 20s and don't smoke. The Obamacare plans have been a lifesaver for me. I honestly don't know what would have happened if my health problems struck even one year prior to the exchanges going live.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:13 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Obama said to hell with me and had my health plan dumped. So I say to hell with him and his attempts to redistribute my money to other people.

Fair is fair.

And my tax credits mitigate that fine to exactly zero and I still get money back.
Obama didn't lie, he was just wrong. In any case, Obama was re-elected after that statement, which means nobody cared much.

Moreover, your old plan didn't meet the minimum specs of the ACA. Those specs were designed to rid the marketplace of junk policies. Your insurance company offered you a new plan that was complaint. You could have taken that plan.

What tax credits are these?

What should be changed is that subsidies are given up to 400% of the poverty rate and then nothing. It should be a sliding scale along income lines.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Obama didn't lie, he was just wrong. In any case, Obama was re-elected after that statement, which means nobody cared much.

Moreover, your old plan didn't meet the minimum specs of the ACA. Those specs were designed to rid the marketplace of junk policies. Your insurance company offered you a new plan that was complaint. You could have taken that plan.

What tax credits are these?

What should be changed is that subsidies are given up to 400% of the poverty rate and then nothing. It should be a sliding scale along income lines.
Right..like maternity care and pediatric care even if you don't need them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies