Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 08:57 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,508,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Eight of of ten small businesses fail! I see this all the time and quite often I say to myself: "What were they thinking?".

Let's raise the standard of living as any advanced society should--------------Otherwise, we continue to be barbarians. We would still have child labor if it was up to you guys.
8 of ten small businesses are also running on a profit of less than 4%..with the major cost being the workforce...

raising the min wage will kill the small bussiness out there , which are the biggest employers of americans

raisig the min wage = more fascist corporatism from the far left...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 09:03 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,735,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I don't know why anyone is upset by this.

Let Berkley serve as an example.
Agreed. I think this is how America works best. State's rights, city's rights, etc. When people take their new $19 salaries outside of Berkley to spend their money (to get their items cheaper) and places go out of business, then Berkley can decide to change their policy.

Or maybe it will be a raging success. Either way, it's their choice. The voters of Berkley can choose their path at the ballot box.

I don't think things like this should be done on a national basis, but individual areas can choose and the voters in those areas can support it or vote them out.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:03 AM

4,259 posts, read 3,182,078 times
Quote:
Eight of of ten small businesses fail! I see this all the time and quite often I say to myself: "What were they thinking?".

Let's raise the standard of living as any advanced society should--------------Otherwise, we continue to be barbarians. We would still have child labor if it was up to you guys.
What makes you think that artificially increasing the minimum wage will actually raise the standard of living? There may be a "temporary" improvement but in the long run, the price of goods and services will increase, rendering the increase in wages meaningless. Minimum wage has an impact on ALL wages. Then of course there are other possible negative ramifications. Is the demand for burgers "elastic?" Probably not, so as a result, at some price point, fewer will be sold. When fewer burgers are sold do they need as many employees? Probably not. Of course you have another possibility that is currently being tested in the industry where food will be ordered without the "will you have fries with that" crowd. If labor costs increase above a certain threshold, kiosk or other automated ordering will be the standard-result----less employees. How about we just let the market decide what a job is worth.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:05 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,353,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
8 of ten small businesses are also running on a profit of less than 4%..with the major cost being the workforce...

raising the min wage will kill the small bussiness out there , which are the biggest employers of americans

raisig the min wage = more fascist corporatism from the far left...
Yes, we are no different than the animals in the African Savanna that struggle with draught. predators, or lack of prey for predators. Nature and other circumstances can be quite cruel to animals and humans

We are primitive and barbaric and we have a long ways to go. I feel bad for those that struggle and accept the status quo as normal.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:06 AM

45,248 posts, read 26,488,601 times
Quote:
you didn't address either of my points with this non sequitur

Quote:
how are you raising the standard of living by eliminating jobs?
Child labor isnt related in any way to the conversation.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:12 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,508,953 times
Quote:
Yes, we are no different than the animals in the African Savanna that struggle with draught. predators, or lack of prey for predators. Nature and other circumstances can be quite cruel to animals and humans

We are primitive and barbaric and we have a long ways to go. I feel bad for those that struggle and accept the status quo as normal.
is that all you have sarcastic retoric??

its funny how the progressive liverals push evolution (darwinism....survival of the fittest) when it come to battling religion....

but when it comes to economics they get all holy, wanting to go to some myth of 'we have to take care of everyone'

Old 09-17-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
What makes you think that artificially increasing the minimum wage will actually raise the standard of living? There may be a "temporary" improvement but in the long run, the price of goods and services will increase, rendering the increase in wages meaningless. Minimum wage has an impact on ALL wages. Then of course there are other possible negative ramifications. Is the demand for burgers "elastic?" Probably not, so as a result, at some price point, fewer will be sold. When fewer burgers are sold do they need as many employees? Probably not. Of course you have another possibility that is currently being tested in the industry where food will be ordered without the "will you have fries with that" crowd. If labor costs increase above a certain threshold, kiosk or other automated ordering will be the standard-result----less employees. How about we just let the market decide what a job is worth.
I live in a very affluent county where the price of EVERYTHING is higher than anywhere else in the country. And I live here because the quality of life is way better than elsewhere where the prices are much lower.

A high standard of living is expensive, but we have to start somewhere.

Many people already cannot afford California, so let them move to Texas where everything is dirt cheap.

And I am for automation too. This will force the issue and perhaps the society will realize that a good standard of living for all is not a bad thing.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:13 AM

27,169 posts, read 15,347,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I don't know why anyone is upset by this.

Let Berkley serve as an example.

..........if only this lunacy were contained to only Beserkely.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:14 AM

27,169 posts, read 15,347,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Well, the cost can only go up so much before they lose too many customers, so I assume it comes out of profits, perks, and higher salary employees.

You can't charge $10 for a McDonald's burger because most of the people paying that much are not getting a comparable pay raise and are going to a gourmet burger place.

There is the point it reaches where just doing business is no longer feasible.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
is that all you have sarcastic retoric??

its funny how the progressive liverals push evolution (darwinism....survival of the fittest) when it come to battling religion....

but when it comes to economics they get all holy, wanting to go to some myth of 'we have to take care of everyone'
As I said, I love the work of Ayn Rand and Milton Friedman. I am no liberal and I do not care about issues of abortion, gay marriage, minorities, political correctness, etc.

My concerns are purely economic and a strong dislike for crony capitalism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies