Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do the rich have a duty to help the poor in your opinion?
Yes 89 40.64%
No 130 59.36%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 09:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,846,981 times

Advertisements

Both Christianity and Islam say it is a duty for everyone to help those worse off then you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 09:44 AM

37,960 posts, read 17,905,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
Do the rich have a duty to help the poor in your opinion? For the sake of wanting to hear what the average American's opinion is on the matter, (which in this case will be the CD community) I'm going to leave my personal views out of it, for now..... Thanks for any and all replies.
Yes you have a duty. However no one should be forced to do it.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:19 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,155,357 times
Not just the poor per se....but towards the environment and society itself. We all share the world.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:55 PM

63,019 posts, read 29,229,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Both Christianity and Islam say it is a duty for everyone to help those worse off then you.
Link, please.

Old 09-21-2015, 02:06 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,779,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
How about the duty to comply with the law of the land or is that an inconvenient fact?

Old 09-21-2015, 10:38 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,330,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Wrong. They are being filled are they not? Filling the pop corn bag at the movie theater was never intended to be a job you make a living at.

After 30 years, Joe retires from Regal Theaters. His fellow employee's said no one can fill a popcorn bag like him and we have no idea how we will ever replace him.

If you can make a living at filling the pop corn bags at the movie theater, who would ever want to bother being a sanitation worker? Screw that. I'm filling pop corn bags, not picking up trash.

Those that do many of those jobs get paid quite well. The contractor, nurse, butcher, city road crew employee's are doing pretty well.

"Can I take your order" was never intended to be a job you lived on.
Thinking that all Joe does is fill the popcorn bag is naive at best. The person behind the counter has quite a few tasks they are charged with. Not just anyone can work with the public, it takes a skill set to deal with people. Besides, unless the owner of regal wants to fill his own popcorn bags, he needs a person to do it. In fact he needs a few for every single theater. That's the key word: Needs. Its not optional to selling popcorn, its not a luxury, its a need. Another need is a place to live. No one wants to be Joe selling popcorn. No one wants to be Mr. may I take your order for a career. But when that's all there is, that's what you do. You do a job that someone needs you to do. And so long as the "job creator" needs every laborer they have to make their fortune, they need to pay those people enough to pay their rent and their bills.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Sure, there is. That's what roommates are for. People need to learn to live within their means.

Do the rich have a duty to help the poor? No, but many do anyway.

Do the poor have a duty to help themselves? I would say so. Poverty is very much a result of the choices people have made. High School dropout? Expect to be poor. Abuse drugs/alcohol? Expect to be poor. Bear children out of wedlock and/or before you become financially stable and self-supporting? Expect to be poor. Etc., etc.
I can agree with some of this, if you're an alcoholic or a junkie, you pretty much have it coming. And for clarification I stated from the get go that the rich don't have a duty to be charitable. But this isn't an issue that falls solely on responsibility and choices. Many people had a stable life then had kids; did it all proper, then their job got shipped off to some other country and all there was paid $9 an hour if they were lucky. These people didn't want to flip burgers, no one wants to do that. It's horse apples to say that 100 million or so people are being irresponsible and lazy all day at their mcjob, but 1000 or so people couldn't possibly be greedy and power hungry. I'm pretty sure that by definition, THAT is what's irresponsible.exploiting people for money is the oldest way to get rich. Its been seen countless times in history, why is it so preposterous to suggest its happening again?

Old 09-21-2015, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
how about we create and bring back jobs that pay ABOVE minimum wage instead of bitching about how it doesn't pay the rent? People seem to forget that it was never meant to be a living wage.
That's not what F.D.R thought when he implemented a massive minimum wage hike that brought one of the most prosperous periods of American history.

He argued against, and won, the very same arguments we are carrying out in this thread.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:37 PM

7,033 posts, read 4,915,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So when you have money and you die it doesn't get passed onto your descendants? it just gets buried with you? There's a difference between helping someone who has helped you and just giving it away randomly. I would never feel it is my "duty" to give away my money.
Well, I don't have any descendants, besides, wouldn't that just be enabling another generation? Of course, if they won their own money in a lottery, then that's one thing, but if you were a person who worked hard all your life and saved up a million dollars, why wouldn't you expect your children to do the same thing? And if you don't feel it's your "duty" to give away all your money, then why would think it's your duty to give it to your kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
It's always funny how someone without money says he would give it away. You'll end up poor.
You don't have to give it ALL away. In fact, that's the one thing people are cautioned about if they win the lottery. Giving away the money they won to relatives and other people is what makes them poor again. You can give some of your money away, but you should always keep enough to live on. What you would have to argue about is, how much money does it take to live on, and is that the same amount of money a person could live on comfortably? I personally could live very comfortably on $1000/month living by myself. Some people can't live, comfortably or otherwise, on $10,000/month. It's all relative.

Besides, the people who tend to be the most generous with their money are people who have been poor. And even while being poor myself, I've also taken the opportunity to pay for some groceries the person in front of me decided to put back because they couldn't afford them. You don't have to be rich to give away a little money or do something nice for someone. In my case I had a place to live, gas in the tank, enough food to last for the month, and a few extra dollars left over. Obviously, that certainly doesn't happen all the time. But if people think doing what I can when I can for someone else is what keeps me poor, well, I'm the person I have to live with and I sure sleep better at night than a lot of folks.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:30 AM

63,019 posts, read 29,229,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Well, I don't have any descendants, besides, wouldn't that just be enabling another generation? Of course, if they won their own money in a lottery, then that's one thing, but if you were a person who worked hard all your life and saved up a million dollars, why wouldn't you expect your children to do the same thing? And if you don't feel it's your "duty" to give away all your money, then why would think it's your duty to give it to your kids?

You don't have to give it ALL away. In fact, that's the one thing people are cautioned about if they win the lottery. Giving away the money they won to relatives and other people is what makes them poor again. You can give some of your money away, but you should always keep enough to live on. What you would have to argue about is, how much money does it take to live on, and is that the same amount of money a person could live on comfortably? I personally could live very comfortably on $1000/month living by myself. Some people can't live, comfortably or otherwise, on $10,000/month. It's all relative.

Besides, the people who tend to be the most generous with their money are people who have been poor. And even while being poor myself, I've also taken the opportunity to pay for some groceries the person in front of me decided to put back because they couldn't afford them. You don't have to be rich to give away a little money or do something nice for someone. In my case I had a place to live, gas in the tank, enough food to last for the month, and a few extra dollars left over. Obviously, that certainly doesn't happen all the time. But if people think doing what I can when I can for someone else is what keeps me poor, well, I'm the person I have to live with and I sure sleep better at night than a lot of folks.
Ridiculous arguments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies