Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do the rich have a duty to help the poor in your opinion?
Yes 89 40.64%
No 130 59.36%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 08:01 AM

89,184 posts, read 44,953,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
I can agree with some of this, if you're an alcoholic or a junkie, you pretty much have it coming. And for clarification I stated from the get go that the rich don't have a duty to be charitable. But this isn't an issue that falls solely on responsibility and choices. Many people had a stable life then had kids; did it all proper, then their job got shipped off to some other country and all there was paid $9 an hour if they were lucky.
NAFTA. That's a Dem, Bill Clinton thing. Keep voting Dem and get what you deserve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 08:21 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,779,544 times
Quote:
exploiting people for money is the oldest way to get rich. Its been seen countless times in history, why is it so preposterous to suggest its happening again?
Yep, look at the politicians, they are rich. They exploit the people.

Quote:
Its been seen countless times in history, why is it so preposterous to suggest its happening again?
LOL, speaking of history repeating itself. The world has a history of dictators. How did the people let that happen? By taking your money, an citizenry that believes government cares and will legislate their prosperity and by enacting laws to protect their power. When a politician ignores the constitution many will support it and laugh at anyone who tries to warn them. People ignore all kind of warning signs because they think government has their best interest at heart. As if, no it can't happen here. People who want money or power are not going to tell you. The constitution is the only thing that has protected this country from a dictatorship and people better start paying attention.

Last edited by petch751; 09-22-2015 at 08:30 AM..

Old 09-22-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Besides, the people who tend to be the most generous with their money are people who have been poor.
LOL I thought the poor didn't have money above and beyond their needs? And if they do could giving away "their" money be why they are poor?

And now they are generous with other peoples money.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Besides, the people who tend to be the most generous with their money are people who have been poor.
The more government tries to FORCE me to give away MY money the stingier I'll get!

By demanding to take the money "I work for" against my will is enslavement. I did not choose to have you as a child, and if you are not responsible enough to take care of yourself why should I be responsible for you?

Old 09-22-2015, 08:43 AM

Again, this thread reminds me of a pharmacist I know. He cries "woe is me, I'll never get to retire, woe is me". The next words sounds like rodent raiser, giving his money away then he wonders why he'll never get to retire. Connect the dots people!

Old 09-22-2015, 09:00 AM

16,761 posts, read 8,234,444 times
The rich have a duty to protect the system which has allowed them to earn that wealth. That includes being taxed at a higher rate as the rich have more to lose.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:30 AM

2,008 posts, read 3,330,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
NAFTA. That's a Dem, Bill Clinton thing. Keep voting Dem and get what you deserve.
Clinton was not the only mind behind NAFTA. I agree that it was a total shaft job, but big business was happy as a clam about it. The next administration didn't do the working class any good either. Its been a downward spiral for over 30 years

Old 09-22-2015, 12:14 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,663,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
LOL I thought the poor didn't have money above and beyond their needs? And if they do could giving away "their" money be why they are poor?
Good grief!

Grade school English grammar refresher: Tense

"...people who HAVE BEEN poor."

In this case, past tense has been utilized, as in 'I was once poor, but now I am wealthy.'

Old 09-22-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Good grief!

Grade school English grammar refresher: Tense

"...people who HAVE BEEN poor."

In this case, past tense has been utilized, as in 'I was once poor, but now I am wealthy.'
Good grief,... How to un pucker Fox Terrier.... pull the stick out of your ....!

Old 09-22-2015, 04:31 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,663,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Good grief,... How to un pucker Fox Terrier.... pull the stick out of your ....!
Thanks for the advice, but there is no stick anywhere in my body.

It is, at times, almost painfully frustrating to read posts from people who have a limited comprehension of the English language.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies