Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do the rich have a duty to help the poor in your opinion?
Yes 89 40.64%
No 130 59.36%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 04:13 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys!

For everyone asking what "my" definition of rich is, common sense is my definition. But for the sake of clarity since some people want to play semantics, let's say someone who's a multi-millionaire who has a net worth of at least 2 million dollars not including 401k accounts (or any employer sponsored retirement/savings account), house(s), or land of any kind.

Please no tangents about FDIC insurance and other personal opinions of how personal wealth should be allocated. I'm not saying I disagree with you, but that doesn't answer my question and there's more ways to allocate wealth than using 401k accounts or investing in land.
Obama defines rich as someone who's income (in one year) is $200k (before taxes).

Forget that could be the only year they make that kind of money. He still thinks they are rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 04:17 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
No one has a "duty" of helping anyone. Your earnings are your own and it should be your choice what you do with your earnings.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:30 PM

288 posts, read 344,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Obama defines rich as someone who's income (in one year) is $200k (before taxes).

Forget that could be the only year they make that kind of money. He still thinks they are rich.
If someone has 200k... Say they were poor then won a 200k lottery. Then no, they're not rich. If someone is continuously making 200k per year, it won't be long before they are rich (a multi-millionaire). Especially if they invest wisely.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
If someone has 200k... Say they were poor then won a 200k lottery. Then no, they're not rich. If someone is continuously making 200k per year, it won't be long before they are rich (a multi-millionaire). Especially if they invest wisely.
Exactly but that's not what Obama said. Tax the rich, anyone making $200k a year. So that makes his statement a LIE. And after taxes and expense it will take much longer than you would think to grow wealth.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I wonder how anyone who won a lottery for that amount (a one time deal) would feel after paying taxes lol.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:12 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Overlooked poor- the elderly....Old people are double taxed on their money.. they tax social security if you make more than allowed and it is a small amount. They tax IRA's if one has too much income and it isn't much money at all when they start to tax the elderly.. The old people get the shaft . They have medical bills, insurance payments and still the government takes from them.

The new poor are the old people who never got rich but saved what they could . The government takes from them to give to the illegals who know the welfare will be there for them.

I hear the old people will not get a cola raise again..not surprised.. three times since Obama is in office no cola raise for the old feeble seniors. Yet the welfare recipients get a raise and they never put in anything to collect.

Old 09-20-2015, 05:33 PM

371 posts, read 258,049 times
Yes absolutely. Especially those that make their money off of others labor and don't pay them legit wages. If they don't want to help we should unionize and TAKE what is rightfully ours.Oh and let me very clear. There is no agreement on wages. You are TOLD what the wage is and when you have bills,car payment,gas,kids,etc etc that needs paid you take what is offered and do the job. It NEVER makes it right to pay someone a low wage they can't live off of and if you are going to do so willingly then you are stealing their labor and deserve to have your wealth stolen in return.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:13 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad14 View Post
Yes absolutely. Especially those that make their money off of others labor and don't pay them legit wages. If they don't want to help we should unionize and TAKE what is rightfully ours.Oh and let me very clear. There is no agreement on wages. You are TOLD what the wage is and when you have bills,car payment,gas,kids,etc etc that needs paid you take what is offered and do the job. It NEVER makes it right to pay someone a low wage they can't live off of and if you are going to do so willingly then you are stealing their labor and deserve to have your wealth stolen in return.
You must not have a skill or one that is not in demand. You are clearly uneducated in arena of economic fundamentals. Maybe learn a trade/ skill/ start a business, instead posting angry class struggle vitriol on forum boards?

Old 09-20-2015, 06:47 PM

288 posts, read 344,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You must not have a skill or one that is not in demand. You are clearly uneducated in arena of economic fundamentals. Maybe learn a trade/ skill/ start a business, instead posting angry class struggle vitriol on forum boards?
Not necessarily. One could argue that if someone is a computer scientist for Google, then Google is profiting from their "labor". I'm not saying that I know whether or not "Nomad14" has a marketable skill, I'm was just adding my 2 cents.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Overlooked poor- the elderly....Old people are double taxed on their money.. they tax social security if you make more than allowed and it is a small amount. They tax IRA's if one has too much income and it isn't much money at all when they start to tax the elderly.. The old people get the shaft . They have medical bills, insurance payments and still the government takes from them.

The new poor are the old people who never got rich but saved what they could . The government takes from them to give to the illegals who know the welfare will be there for them.

I hear the old people will not get a cola raise again..not surprised.. three times since Obama is in office no cola raise for the old feeble seniors. Yet the welfare recipients get a raise and they never put in anything to collect.
This is true. The middle class is heading for a train wreck when they get old and they don't know it, their too busy worrying about the poor instead of worrying about themselves first. But when they become poor there will not be any help for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies